cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9
Level 9

Re: 50 posts badge

@IvanY wrote:

some people really like it and if it gets people to engage more, it might be worth to consider adding new badges.

Badging like most form of gamifcation definitely drives engagement, but in doing so system designers make a pact with the devil. It's very easy to see examples within Connect of badging leading to LGs indulging in aberrant behaviour that does no good. There is a LG who this morning gave 500 kudos in just four hours, as a result he's now received 100 kudos in return - allowing him to post a thread about his 'great content'. His posts in fact make very little sense, so he's not helping the forum at all. Another LG created numerous parallel accounts and the accounts all gave each other thousands of Kudos.

New badges, how about one for removing spammers?

Connect Moderator

Hola @Pea, por favor si conoces un caso de los que mencionas en tu post, indícalo por privado a alguno de los Moderadores de Google.

saludos Farid.

Connect Moderator

@Pea I absolutely agree, and what happened this morning wasn't the first one I've seen. There are definitely people that are trying to game the system (and spam).

Also a good idea for badge about removing spammer, but looking another way it can only used for gamification. The person can simply report everyone whether they're spammers or not. This can create many false alerts and mess up with the spam algorithm.

I think in the end, whenever it involves rewards (badges in this case), there will be a minority that will try to exploit it for their own benefit. The important thing is to find a balance.

Level 9
Level 9

@IvanY wrote:

The person can simply report everyone whether they're spammers or not.

Hi @iyudhi my suggestion for a spammer badge was somewhat tongue in cheek since (as you correctly note) it would be a source of the same system gaming I was railing against.

there will be a minority that will try to exploit it for their own benefit. The important thing is to find a balance.

Agree entirely. Actually in another thread I say that giving rewards (points, badges or anything else) is normal, it's the way it is implemented and managed that can cause problems. 

Level 9

Hey @Csaba I see you are a Connect Moderator !!!

Congratulations for your achievement as well.

Are you a google employee ?

Can you please tell me how can one be a connect moderator ?

Thanks and regards

@Ronnebd

Level 10

@Csaba Congrats! Heartiest congratulations!

@RonneBD

@Pea

@iyudhi

@FaridTDF

Level 10

@RonneBD wrote:

Hey @Csaba I see you are a Connect Moderator !!!

Congratulations for your achievement as well.

Are you a google employee ?

Can you please tell me how can one be a connect moderator ?

Thanks and regards

@RonneBD

Hi @RonneBD a Connect Moderator IS NOT a Google employee. Is a Local Guide which motivation and effort for Connect has been recognized as outstanding from Googlers.

There is no application process, I will post here the words of our beloved jumping @TraciC regarding Connect Moderators selection: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Meet-the-Connect-Moderators/m-p/189706/high...

"Interested in becoming a moderator for Local Guides Connect? Here’s what we’re looking for:

• Level 5 Local Guides who actively contribute to Google Maps and Local Guides Connect
  • Friendly and respectful community members who help keep Connect a warm and welcoming place

There is no application or nomination process. Keep contributing and engaging with your fellow Local Guides and the Local Guides team will be in touch if you are selected."

Connect Moderator

Hi @Csaba I would prefer not to do that. I think rewarding people for posting topics is great but there are some who reply to see their own words in print and not much else ;). I'd rather not reward them! While it would be nice to see the reply count (it is available in Lithium) I suspect it would just kick off another round of look how many X I've got, aren't I great?

Besides the moderators and half a dozen very dedicated "nearly" moderators would always headline the table.

Regards Paul

Level 9

@PaulPavlinovichcan you detail me what is Lithium ? is it a blog or android application ?

Level 10

@RonneBD wrote:

@PaulPavlinovichcan you detail me what is Lithium ? is it a blog or android application ?

Hi @RonneBD Lithium is the software platform that implements Connect.

You can find more info here: http://lithium.com/