cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9
Level 9

The Problems with a Points Race

@TraciC or @Corrie I'd be interested in your feedback

Giving rewards for targets is common in all walks of life and there will always be people who try to game the system. However, the problem becomes much worse when cliff edge timetabling becomes involved.

Local Guides has just been thru one deadline, to reach L4 by 17 March and now there is another to reach L5 by 24 April. This is clearly encouraging LGs to make rushed and low quality submissions, some are boasting at the rapidity they have gained hundreds of points in a matter of days, while others ask how they can do the same. Their contributions are often very poor or even suspiciously spammy.

This does Google Maps no favours in the long term, eroding trust in the product and ingraining a systemic mentality of quantity over quality amongst many LGs.

Obviously with something like the Summit you will scrutinise the contributions of applicants, so LGs with low quality contributions will never make it thru. They are wasting their time, though they don't realise that yet. Unfortunately that in itself doesn't remove the thousands of bad submissions.

Would you consider not having points deadlines in future? Here's a suggestion for Summit 2018 (should you have one), when you announce it next March you say, for example: "applications will be open to LGs who reached L5 on 31 December 2017". A retrospective deadline doesn't create a problematic points race.

2 comments
Level 10

Re: The Problems with a Points Race

@Pea, i agree.

I was already LVL5 when first summit was announced, and i never stopped contributing.

But the gamification, and the reward system, are built exactly for numbers! Google cares about quality, it's true, but despite of this statement, the SVT program has lowered the access requirements, lowering the whole 360 production.

Gamification goes in the same direction, and i can't believe that this is simply a side effect, it's by design.

We can and, we have to, fight spammers and low quality reviewers, but i think that access requirements will be never applied.

Level 9

Re: The Problems with a Points Race

I totally agree with this and some of the reviews I have seen are borderline juvenile. The whole purpose in my mind, and why I do reviews is to provide decent, unbiased opinions often rated around service, is the place I am visiting "fit for purpose". Usually I do not go the "one star route" as you to some extent have to give a shop, restaurant the benefit of the doubt, as it may have been a bad day and not true to form. It is a shame and to some extent dilutes the value of the overall offering and I frankly do not care about Google summits or any of that nonsense. I review stuff because I enjoy it, keep getting around a bit as I get older and even if they offered me first class out to Googleplex probably refuse, not bothered more important places to go.