DanielTh's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Mumbai's famous Vegetable sandwich - Street food discoveries Part 2

In my previous post, I detailed out Mumbai's favourite street food - "Vada Pav" and its variations you get on the streets. 

Today, I'll take you through the mouth-watering experience of the making of "vegetable sandwich toast" 🙂

Almost in every street corner, you'll find a small glass box counter set-up, with all needed ingredients stuff in order. Ask for a vegetable sandwich !!!

1. first they cut the brown edges of the bread and apply a layer of butter

P_20180228_124948.jpg

2. Now the stuffing process begins !!!  Slices of tomatoes, onions, capsicum, potato, beetroot - Just the right mix of fresh vegetables.

stuffing all vegetablesstuffing all vegetables

3. They will ask you if you want a 'sada sandwich' or 'toast'. 'Sada' in Hindi means 'plain'. So what they mean is if you want a 'plain' sandwich or a toasted one.

When you ask for toast, you'll be surprised to see this handy tool to toast the sandwich on the road.

handy tool for toasthandy tool for toast

4. Keep the stuffed bread slices nicely into position in the toaster.

P_20180228_125213.jpg

5. After keeping the stuffed bread slices in the toaster, You'll wonder where they'll heat it. Here comes a tiny stove exclusively for such usage.

P_20180228_125239.jpg 

6. Now comes the final dressing - tomato sauce & sev (the yellow bits you see in the image). 

Sev is an Indian snack made of thin strands of gram flour, deep-fried and spiced. You'll be surprised how these tiny yellow strands enhance the taste of the food.

P_20180228_125446.jpg 

7. Time to enjoy a sumptuous Veg-sandwich toast !!!

P_20180228_125642.jpg

Usually this sandwich is priced around INR 30 at the street counters. Imagine having healthy snack for just INR 30 !!! - that's the magic of Mumbai 🙂

Add a glass of Mosambi juice to your healthy street-food lunch in Mumbai !!!

P_20180228_124807.jpg

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
11 comments
Level 10

Re: Mumbai's famous Vegetable sandwich - Street food discoveries Part 2

Former Google Contributor

Woah @DanielTh,

Thanks so much for sharing! I now really want to try it. I love veggie treats. What is this Mosambi juice made of? Is Mosambi a fruit? 

@KlaudiyaG, take a look at this!

See you around!

- Nadya

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

@NadyaPN you're correct. Its a version of "Sweet lime" - colloquially called as Mosambi in India.

Very tasty & healthy fruit juice to drink.

Level 10

@Julien44 do try it out next time you visit Mumbai 🙂

Level 10

Former Google Contributor

I love sandwitches. They are easy to carry, delicious and good for any occasion, but the best thing about veggie sandwiches is that you don't feel guilty after devouring it. 🙂 Great post @DanielTh and thank you @NadyaPN for tagging me!

Cheers,

Klaudiya

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

@DanielThPav Bhaji , an another nice and mouthwatering food from the streets of Bombay.

Pav BhajiPav Bhaji

Pav BhajiPav Bhaji

Level 10

@antosmaman You are making me hungry and it is not time to eat here..... I am going to put on weight by you fault 😉

antosmaman a écrit :

@ThumatyDanielKPav Bhaji , an another nice and mouthwatering food from the streets of Bombay.

Pav BhajiPav Bhaji

Pav BhajiPav Bhaji

Level 8

@Julien44   Ha ha ha, there is no special time for me to eat, eating eating eating always . 😉  🙂

@Julienpaul44 wrote:

@antosmaman You are making me hungry and it is not time to eat here..... I am going to put on weight by you fault 😉

antosmaman a écrit :

@DanielThPav Bhaji , an another nice and mouthwatering food from the streets of Bombay.

Pav BhajiPav Bhaji

Pav BhajiPav Bhaji