Level 9

Re: Local Guide's Journey During Black History Month

Thanks @PaulKang

For shashar with us unique post

Cheers

Saudi local guide 

Level 10

Thanks for keep our memory alive on this recent history.

I'm a strong civil right supporter, and I have to admit that we are living sad days, now in Italy.

Due to recent elections, some extreme-right wing parties arised, and with them, many racist crimes occurred.

Yesterday, a legal migrant from Senegal was killed in Florence, randomly choosen by the shooter, that was looking for a black man on a bridge.

This man was the spouse of a widow, a women that lost his man in 2011, shoot by a right party supporter.

This is happening now, in Italy, 2018.

It's so sad that we are not able to learn from our past, and memory is lost very quickly.

I'm always and always will be with the people being attacked by racists for any reason.

Thanks for sharing your story and your efforts as a local guide to keep memory alive.

Level 10

That’s sad to hear @LucioV, especially considering Italy’s history. 

Paul Kang
Greater Nashville, Tennessee
Level 8

It's a wonderful and painful story. The facts and historical records must be marked in the map.

Thank you very much for this very private sharing.

G+ | My Contributions One day, somewhere to meet.
Level 10

@PaulKang Thanks for sharing this.. another itinerary to add to my must visit places 🙂 

Level 9

@PaulKang good for you for making google maps relevant to history and current events. your post made me a little teary and inspired me, too. 

can you make an Emmett Till maps list we can share with others? 

thank you for doing this. 

Level 9

It Is Still Tough Out Here!  I Researched Back A Few Years And Also Realized That Most Of The Summit Invites Didn't Showcase Us.  I Work Hard Being Disabled, Man, And A Person Of Color.  Luckily, I Enjoy Helping Others.  Honestly, Google Needs To Step Up There Game, Constructively Speaking.

ThaTruthSeka
Level 10

Hi @SuzanneN,

Here are the places that are on Google Maps right now. 

Emmett Till Historic Sites & Museums

https://www.google.com/maps/placelists/list/1qo9I-wS8xJ6GAinG57qUmoPqAOk?hl=en

I’m working on getting some of the secondary ones to be added to GMaps.

Paul

Paul Kang
Level 10

I mentioned in my post that a motivator for me was that sometimes information websites are abandoned and cease to exist. 

The Till Memory Project was my primary source of research so that I could add/edit Google Maps markers for Emmett Till-related listings.

Unfortunately, I checked recently and the website has been taken down, probably due to a lack of funds or interest.

CA4137C6-D559-4F97-BBBE-3E6F8CB9E97E.jpeg

I’m grateful for that group creating embedded maps on their websites so that I could accurately place markers on Google Maps. 

Fortunately, the exact historical locations related to Emmett Till’s short life and its tremendous impact on the Civil Rights Movement will live on in Google Maps.

Paul Kang