Sagir's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

African cherry or Star Apple

Do you know this fruit?

African cherry or Star Apple is a fruit commonly found in tropics of Africa with scientific name Chysophyllum albidum.

In Nigeria the Yoruba people called Agbalumo while the Igbos called it Udara and the Hausa called it Agwaluma.

African cherryAfrican cherryAfrican cherryAfrican cherryAfrican cherryAfrican cherryAfrican cherrryAfrican cherrry

this fruit is fleshy and it has sweet taste and packed with vitamins.

it is use by the natives for cure of some diseases. 

It is a seasonal fruit. the harvesting period is from January to late April.

the back of the fruit and the seed are not eatable. 

Enjoy African Cherry...

@ErmesT @LuisRG @KarenVChin @OSAMA @ValeriaA_ @AlejandraMaria

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

29 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: African cherry or Star Apple

Hi @Sagir,

Wow, this is the first time that I hear and see a Star Apple. Thank you for sharing this fruit with us! Is the dark olive look a like part of the fruit edible or it's the seed? And one more question, is this fruit sweet?

See you soon,

Klaudiya

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

thanks for your kind remark @KlaudiyaG

the fruit is sweet with a bit of sour if it is not ripe. but generally is sweet.

that is the seed (the dark olive like).

kind regards 

Sagir

@KlaudiyaG wrote:

Hi @Sagir,

Wow, this is the first time that I hear and see a Star Apple. Thank you for sharing this fruit with us! Is the dark olive look a like part of the fruit and is it edible or it's the seed? And one more question, is this fruit sweet?

See you soon,

Klaudiya

Connect Moderator

check out this lovely fruit from the tropics of Africa @SalmaanN @AttaurRehmank @TraciC @NatalkaR @BishowvijayaP

Level 8

@Sagir Its look very much similar to Indian fruit Chiku (Sapota / Zapota).

chiku-01.jpg

Thanks @Sagir for the fast reply! If I ever go to Nigeria I'll definitely try some.

Hey @Julien44, I'm tagging you here, because I thought that you'll find the this fruit interesting. Have you ever tried it?

Cheers,

Klaudiya

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

you are right @Neminath

it looks alike.. tell us more about chiku

@Neminath wrote:

@Sagir Its look very much similar to Indian fruit Chiku (Sapota / Zapota).

chiku-01.jpg

Level 10

Hi Guys,

Thanks for tagging me @KlaudiyaG.

Unfortunatly, I have never tried the star apple. It is also the first time I ear about it. This is quite intersting! I would love to try!

Thanks to @Sagir for sharing this.

Hi @Neminath,

Another peculiar fruit. Thank you for sharing! Is chiku sweet too?

See you soon,

Klaudiya

Level 6

WOW ya con la descripción y las imágenes se vé muy interesante y apetitoso.

Excelente aportación @Sagir

Y aquí en México igual hay una fruta parecida, es un poco más grande pero igual es carnosa se llama zapote. 

Pero estaría genial poder probar esa fruta algún dia.

Saludos

Atentamente

MattL