NRJOVIC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Waterfalls photography

Hi!,

I want to ask you for some advice related to waterfalls photography with DSRL.

I always get some blur / out of focus pictures, like this one that i took in Wainui Falls, New Zealand, south Island

https://goo.gl/maps/3S9dywvorzn

Please, feel free to show your examples.

Cheers

Wainui Falls, Abel Tasman, South Island, NZ. Jan 2017Wainui Falls, Abel Tasman, South Island, NZ. Jan 2017

Nico J.
Abel Tasman National Park, Nueva Zelanda
7 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Waterfalls photography

This shot looks like a longer exposure, you need to use a tripod to steady your camera that will reduce the blur in the static things like rocks. You will get some blur in the water and leaves because they are moving.

To reduce the blur you need to increase your shutter speed (make a shorter exposure) and you can do this by adjusting your aperture to make it brighter or by increasing your ISO to make your sensor more sensitive.

Here are a couple of my waterfall images

Triplet Falls Cape Ottway National ParkTriplet Falls Cape Ottway National Park

Vernal Falls, Yosemite, California, USAVernal Falls, Yosemite, California, USA

Looking down over Nevada Falls, Yosemite, California USALooking down over Nevada Falls, Yosemite, California USA

Regards Paul

View solution in original post

Former Google Contributor

Hey @NRJOVIC,

Thanks for sharing this photo. I do not know much about photography, but a great photographer like @LucioV knows a lot. We can ask him for some advise.

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Connect Moderator
Solution

This shot looks like a longer exposure, you need to use a tripod to steady your camera that will reduce the blur in the static things like rocks. You will get some blur in the water and leaves because they are moving.

To reduce the blur you need to increase your shutter speed (make a shorter exposure) and you can do this by adjusting your aperture to make it brighter or by increasing your ISO to make your sensor more sensitive.

Here are a couple of my waterfall images

Triplet Falls Cape Ottway National ParkTriplet Falls Cape Ottway National Park

Vernal Falls, Yosemite, California, USAVernal Falls, Yosemite, California, USA

Looking down over Nevada Falls, Yosemite, California USALooking down over Nevada Falls, Yosemite, California USA

Regards Paul

Level 10

Hi @NRJOVIC nice waterfall! Never been in NZ!

Thanks @GeorgesHR for tagging me in!

Have a look to this thread, where you will find some waterfalls from all over the world: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Share-Your-Photos-and/Waterfalls-from-all-over-the-world/m-p/2...

My suggestions are to shoot waterfalls from unusual point of view, like @PaulPavlinovich did for the Nevada Fall and try to avoid full sunny days, that will give you really hard exposure!

Lucio

Level 8

Hi @LucioV thank you for your answer and the advice.

I hope some day you could visit NZ, it is a wonderful country if you like outdoors and photography.

I will check the thread. I guess my main problem is that i do not carry my tripod to take them.

Paul´s pictures are really nice.

Cheers.

Nico.

PS:

This is me 9 years ago under Cascada Yrigoyen, Lago Futalaufquen, Los Alerces National Park, Chubut, Argentina.

Cascada Yrigoyen, Lago Futalaufquen, Los Alerces NP, Chubut, Argentina. 2009,Cascada Yrigoyen, Lago Futalaufquen, Los Alerces NP, Chubut, Argentina. 2009,

Nico J.
Level 8

Thanks Paul,

Really nice pictures.

I know that i have to bring my tripod to take waterfall´s pictures, at least to get that flow and smooth effect. You can be very still but still get blur.

I have been to Yosemite NP but only for a few hours, it was a day trip from San Francisco. It is an amazing place to practice photography. I will never forget the feeling of being in fron of these giant rocks, i hope someday i can come bak there.

Cheers

dsc_0249.jpg

Nico J.
Level 10

You will have to set the camera for the shortest exposure. In some camera auto setting for a Sports Mode is available - in some other Hands Free setting, Kids setting that will eliminate blur due to shake or motion. Even with the sports mode if the photographer is moving while shooting there may be a little bit of blur. Most of the photographs I happen to shoot with sports mode while  moving in a vehicle the distant Images of fall gets somewhat blurred. DSLR with Multipoint focus with tripod will yield the best result - not possible for me mostly on Travel.

@NRJOVIC wrote:

Hi!,

I want to ask you for some advice related to waterfalls photography with DSRL.

I always get some blur / out of focus pictures, like this one that i took in Wainui Falls, New Zealand, south Island

https://goo.gl/maps/3S9dywvorzn

Please, feel free to show your examples.

Cheers

Wainui Falls, Abel Tasman, South Island, NZ. Jan 2017Wainui Falls, Abel Tasman, South Island, NZ. Jan 2017

Water Falls from Himalayas near BadrinathWater Falls from Himalayas near BadrinathWater Falls from Himalayas near Badrinath  (2)Water Falls from Himalayas near Badrinath (2)

Dhanasekaran
Former Google Contributor

Hi @NRJOVIC,

Your photo is great! Here you can check my post for Plitvice lakes National park in Croatia where you can see some of my photos of the beautiful waterfalls there. I really enjoy taking photos of waterfalls.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!