Monir_Sagor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Camera Support from google.

Does google help contributors any technical support. Google local guide like me wants to work perfectly but some are like mr faces problem of working instruments. I feel  lack of a 360 Degree camera for 360 panorama picture. but I have mo cameras like that. please let me know that does google provide or gift any technical support or instument for local guides who works hard for that 

20 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Camera Support from google.

Hi @Monir_Sagor it is possible to borrow a Google Trekker (back pack street view camera) if you meet the criteria. It is very popular and I think the wait list is long have a look here https://www.google.com/streetview/trekker/

For the smaller 360 cameras I've never seen any given away so I would suggest it's not normal. I bought my Theta S second hand for about half the price of a new one.

If you buy yourself a Google Pixel they do come with free technical support for the life of the phone. You can use a phone to make 360 images but its a slow process.

Regards

Paul

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hi @Monir_Sagor it is possible to borrow a Google Trekker (back pack street view camera) if you meet the criteria. It is very popular and I think the wait list is long have a look here https://www.google.com/streetview/trekker/

For the smaller 360 cameras I've never seen any given away so I would suggest it's not normal. I bought my Theta S second hand for about half the price of a new one.

If you buy yourself a Google Pixel they do come with free technical support for the life of the phone. You can use a phone to make 360 images but its a slow process.

Regards

Paul

Level 8

Using the Google camera App you can take 360 photos. It does require taking a good few photos, Google then stitches them together into one 360. Below is a screen shot showing the menu in the camera app that lets you take photo sphere (360)

Screenshot_20170718-154022.png

Connect Moderator

You certainly can do that @Stuart but it takes a few minutes, you look like you're practicing ballet and the result isn't as good as a dedicated 360 camera. However, if the best you have is a phone and you want to contribute then yes the Google Camera App is a good option (there are others too).

Regards

Paul

Level 8

Hi @PaulPavlinovich I wouldn't disagree with any of your points. But as you said it's better than nothing also there is some benefit to being the phone to create 360 photos one is that as you are only taking part of the imagine at a time it means you can stay beside the phone unlike when using a 360 camera. Another advantage is, if it is a busy area you can want for each section to be clear before taking a photo of that section. 

I've used a smartphone, 360 camera and DSLR, each has its advantages and disadvantages. 

Level 10

@Stuart wrote:

Hi @PaulPavlinovich I wouldn't disagree with any of your points. But as you said it's better than nothing also there is some benefit to being the phone to create 360 photos one is that as you are only taking part of the imagine at a time it means you can stay beside the phone unlike when using a 360 camera. Another advantage is, if it is a busy area you can want for each section to be clear before taking a photo of that section

I've used a smartphone, 360 camera and DSLR, each has its advantages and disadvantages. 

Yes, that's the best part! 🙂

Connect Moderator

This is true @Stuart when I'm doing serious 360's I either put the camera on a monopod (with feet) or put it in the scene then hide then trigger it from the phone. The majority of my 360's are of places where other people don't usually go like bush trails, parks, etc. When I do businesses or other points of interest I like to have people in the images because it gives a flavour of that location.

Regards

Paul

Level 10

@Monir_Sagor Please do not expect any thing, LGs have to mange everything from own pocket.

@PaulPavlinovich

@LucioV

@Stuart

@Monir_Sagor wrote:

Does google help contributors any technical support. Google local guide like me wants to work perfectly but some are like mr faces problem of working instruments. I feel  lack of a 360 Degree camera for 360 panorama picture. but I have mo cameras like that. please let me know that does google provide or gift any technical support or instument for local guides who works hard for that 

Level 8

good idea monir i think about like you.. our mobile does not support good 360 degree camera google provide 360 camera above local guide 8.

Level 8

Here is a link to the loaner camera application

https://www.google.com/streetview/camera-loans/