Anonymous's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: Google keeps messing up the address

Hi @Anonymous while I accept you are frustrated I ask for some patience. Around the world there are hundreds of different address formats and its challenging for any product to work with them all. If you could please be patient and provide the information I asked for then perhaps this can get solved.

Regards Paul

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PaulPavlinovich

What info do you require?

Level 2

are they hiding something

what could be the reason?  is Google Maps hiding something?

Connect Moderator

Hi @Anonymous what I was after is a link to the address you were trying to edit because I can't find it on Maps.

I did a bit of research into UK addresses and its likely you're trying to put in too much information. Maps is about physical addresses and you seem to have some aspects of a postal address in it.

Regards Paul

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: are they hiding something

I have no idea.  But I find it rather disgusting that Google's European Headquarters are based in Dublin, yet they totally ignore the Irish map outside of the main cities.  

In Northern Ireland every road has a name, and each property has a number and a townland.  Townlands are unique to Ireland and hold a very historic value to us.  Many have been in use for thousands of years and usually give clues to the geographic location, mythology and/or historic facts.  This particular one Drumlone can be seen on a map from 1609 called "Escheated Counties in Ireland" and experts in the Irish language believe it means "Druim Luain" which translated to "Luan's ridge".  On the island of Ireland we have over 60,000 of these townlands and in most areas they are protected in law (hence why official government organisations will always show the townland on the second line of the address).  They have been used to identify where people lived for hundreds of years and often mentioned on gravestones [1] and other records. So from a local perspective these need to be included in the address I enter on Google Maps, but Google tries to get rid of them at every opportunity.   

Google also seems to dislike postcodes and always wants to split them up and place them in different sections of the address.  In Northern Ireland our postcode starts with BT which is the code for BELFAST.  Which is followed by a number that identifies the district (BT92 in this case) then there is a space followed by a number and two letters.  This 3 character code narrows the area down to within the area of a townland.  Therefore the correct postcode for this property is "BT92 8DG".  But for some unknown and hugely annoying reason Google wants to split this up!

[1] - http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/fermanagh/photos/tombstones/fermanagh-maguiresbridge-methodis...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Level 8

Hi @Anonymous,

I asked similar question before and there are some valuable inputs to that thread.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/What-is-the-typical-address-format-in-your-region/m-p/100707#M2759

To me, how Maps decode the address we input is still not deterministic.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel this is going nowhere, and have been offered no help in getting this resolved.

If Google Maps can't even get the basics of a map right (i.e. road names, where a business in located) they really shouldn't be offering it.  I also notice that they hijack peoples search results to offer this incorrect information.  

Like seriously, you are directing people to a shop which is physically located 40 miles drive away!!  But yet you are telling people it is in the middle of a field, out in the countryside!!   What idiot decided to place it there?  https://goo.gl/maps/b8gLqK19iHq   It is pathetic!!

Connect Moderator

You could be just a little bit patient there @Anonymous and ease off mate, we're all volunteers trying to help you with an issue. We're happy to help but we don't need any abuse.

The one in the field is like that because there is no real address for that entry and it appears to be centred on the area. Whoever added that didn't include enough information when they did it.

You can use Suggest an edit to move that map marker to the right place. There is no point me trying it because I'm so far away my edit would be not applied.

I can see the issue with Cargin House too, Maps doesn't know the name of the road. That whole area is quite incomplete. This is likely why the address matching system isn't working. I would start by using the Send Feedback and name the road itself (and any others that you can in that area) then once that is done attempt to correct the address. Once Maps knows what the road is called it is likely to bettter understand the address you're trying to put in. I note that the people who own Cargin House also appear to not know the name of the road as their website just gives a bunch of drections from street corner to street corner. Maps coverage is often poor in remote rural areas because the government data Maps starts with is often poor too.

Regards Paul

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PaulPavlinovich

No problem. It is clear to me that Google Maps have no interest it fixing the issues I am trying to address. I will take my contributions elsewhere.