cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Category for Avon and MaryKay

@GenerolHavoc wrote:

Hello All

From what I know Avon is know as a Cosmetics Store due to that's what they mostly sell through their agents / representatives.

The other place I guess would be the same.

Except representatives do not have a store. Only the corporate office has a store and it's not in a residential area 

Level 10

Mmmhh I met some MLM in private houses in maps (Herbalife, Amway, and so on) and I had the same question in mind; ask for removal or not? My thought is that these places, as:

• are not open to the public
  • don't have a reception
  • don't have hours of work
  • don't have a specific product category (i.e. dress shop, food shop, etc.)

They should not be on map, but now @BruceDM wrote something different.

As I love the map to be more complete as possible I will map MLM and private vendors in the future, keeping this thread as reference for any issue (i will certainly have in the future)  🙂

Level 8

@LucioV wrote:

Mmmhh I met some MLM in private houses in maps (Herbalife, Amway, and so on) and I had the same question in mind; ask for removal or not? My thought is that these places, as:

• are not open to the public
  • don't have a reception
  • don't have hours of work
  • don't have a specific product category (i.e. dress shop, food shop, etc.)

They should not be on map, but now @BruceDM wrote something different.

As I love the map to be more complete as possible I will map MLM and private vendors in the future, keeping this thread as reference for any issue (i will certainly have in the future)  🙂

Hello to all

I share @LucioV's opinion generally. I would like to point out that the discussion about categories is as old as the forum itself always ending with a conclusion that the categories available should be better structured, organised and more complete and sane. (Like how come you can find a dozen of types if insurance agents and no way to distinguish a supermarket from a grocery shop? (region sensitive)) In my opinion the principle of the contributions being helpful to public is the number one guidence to rule them all: and this means that there might be a solution to the problem in some cases. There is a condition to it and that is the local guide must know the business. Like really know it, best if they use it. Then if you know that the vendor can be contacted (by any means you provide with the new POI) and that locating the business on the map can help somebody (like imagine yourself using the information), you should do it and select the most appropriate category - for example the one that encompases most of the vendor's products (drug store, cosmetics, hair care - whatever you can find). Else, just forget it. In the end I think along with Lucio that these places will become an integrate part of the maps one day.

Connect Moderator

Hello all,

Since we can no longer access the Map Maker forum I'll likely reprise a post we had there regarding SABs that we always referred such questions to, but in the meantime:

• Can a home based business be on the map?  Yes
  • Why do people say they cannot be?  They are normally confusing home based with places with no storefronts.  Most home based businesses have no storefront, but not all.  They are also might be misapplying a Map Maker rule, as properly set up SABs without storefronts did not show up in Map Maker but do show up on the map, so how they must be considered is different than when we used Map Maker to edit.
  • So when can home based businesses be on the map?  Either when they do have a storefront, or when they are SABs without storefronts that the owner adds via GMB and uses that platform to hide the street address.
  • So then what category should they have?  No one can give you a magic category that works for all places, as businesses often vary by region and categories also vary by region.  You'll need to figure out what works best in each case.
  • I can't look through every category.  You don't have to, type keywords that you would suspect might be in a category and any categories that contain those words will appear.  Choose one of them or try another keyword.
  • Why does my category get rejected?  If it was a very reasonable category, likely because it's already been applied.  Places can and do have multiple categories, but you can only see and edit the primary one.  If one of the other categories is the one you're trying to use, then you're creating a duplicate category and likely will get denied.

Definitions:

• SAB = Service area business; which is a business that goes to meet the customer.  They may or may not also have a storefront
  • Storefront = A place open to the public which is guaranteed to be staffed during normal business hours so a person may get help if they drop in unannounced

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Connect Moderator

Please note that I'm moving this over to the Mapping sub-forum since it is a mapping question.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 8

@Flash
  • So when can home based businesses be on the map?  Either when they do have a storefront, or when they are SABs without storefronts that the owner adds via GMB and uses that platform to hide the street address.

Based on this the places I have found DO NOT belong on Maps so how do I report them to have them removed?

Gary

Connect Moderator

You would mark them as "Does not exist".

Level 8

@Flash wrote:

You would mark them as "Does not exist".

I do and it comes back instantly as "Not Applied."

Connect Moderator

As we already had this conversation last week, I will reference you to the response I already gave to this situation.

Level 8

Sure, so...... 

What can be done to get Google's attention to take care of places that violate Google's rules?