GaryFunk's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Category for Avon and MaryKay

What is the correct category that Avon and MaryKay sellers should use? 

23 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Category for Avon and MaryKay

@GaryFunk, great question. Majority of Avon and Mary Kay Cosemtics are sold out of representatives’ homes. Rare are sold from store fronts. I don’t believe they have stand alone store, in particular in the United States. The majority are sold at house parties where the guest host hosts at her house like how all MLM - multilevel marketing companies - products are sold.

@Flash @BruceDM, do you have any ideas?

@GaryFunk wrote:

What is the correct category that Avon and MaryKay sellers should use? 

Cheers,

Karen

Level 8

All the places I'm referring to are at a residence.
I've found about 30 listings. 

Former Google Contributor

Hello @KarenVChin

By definition - the category feature should provide users with descriptive and relevant categories, to enrich Maps data and improve local search. The category chosen should not be general, that is to say that it must represent a business’s services/products and that it should not have keywords unrelated to the place.

In this regard there are multiple categories that are likely to wholly represent these types of businesses. What you can do is ensure all are on the listing in a hierarchy like the below

• Business owner-provided category
  • User-provided preferred category
  • Existing preferred category

Hope this helps. Happy tagging.

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Level 8

@BruceDM @KarenVChin

That didn't help me at all. If fact it is so vague I'm more confused than ever. 

Gary

Level 8

The bottom line is that these places should not even be on Maps but since Google has made it impossible for most of usecto remove them then we should at least be able to categorize them correctly. 

So, what category should, a multi-level marketer that doesn't allow people at visit the residence, be used? 

Level 7

Hello All

From what I know Avon is know as a Cosmetics Store due to that's what they mostly sell through their agents / representatives.

The other place I guess would be the same.

Former Google Contributor

Hi @GaryFunk,

It sounds like you are saying that such a business is not allowed on Maps. Per policy, home businesses are permitted on Google Maps. See the below as it relates to home businesses that are valid.

Individual or residential-based

• Home-based business
  • Individual practitioner or professional listing
  • Rental accommodation with permanent onsite management
  • Private and gated community

While these Avon-type business transactions aren't brick-and-mortar based in the conventional sense, they are permitted and are eligible as Service Area Businesses - I am unclear if the places you have isolated are already doing this or not.

Circling back to the categories though, given the info above, its perfectly valid to use a category like "Beauty Supply Store" even though its not a conventional store. I wouldn't go so far as to call a place a multi-level-marketer per my first comment on this subject. Hope this helps.

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Level 8

Here in lies a problem.

@JeroenM says they are not allowed in this post: 

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/Private-residence-listed-as-business/m-p/57...

I wish Google would fix this mess. 

Level 8

@BruceDM

Even this Official Guide states these cannot be listed on Maps.

Screenshot_20180111-102843.jpg

Yet Google will not let me mark this place. It always come back as "Not Applied."