Surendra's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

[RECAP] Patan Monument Photo Walk

Patan Monumental Photo Walk and Accessibility Walk

On the fine morning of 23 September 2017 we had an event   ‘Patan Monumental Photo Walk’ was organized in parallel to the event ‘International Month of Monuments’, an initiation of Nepal Local Guides this September. It was an exciting moment that we local guides are taking initiative to bring attention to the celebration of the heritage and trying to bring back the attention to back to them that they deserve.

We also fused event to align with  ‘ Host a Meet-Up to Support Mobility for All’  with a deep appreciation that we belong to the Local Guides community that always try to do greater good to the society including differently-abled citizens of the world. Thus the event actually was a monument and accessibility walk.

Our meetup site Patan Durbar Square, Lalitpur, Nepal is a UNESCO world heritage site full of ancient architectures, sculptures, and artifacts.

To visit the Patan Durbar square foreign visitors have to pay NRS.1000 and NRS. 250 for SAARC nationals. Even though there are thousands of artifacts, the most renowned temple among the temples in this area is a temple of Lord Krishna ‘Krishna Temple’. It was made by the late king Siddhi Narasimha Malla in 1723 AD. The amazing fact of the temple is that the whole temple structure is made out of stone and on the wall of the temple depiction of Hindu Scriptures “Ramayana” and “Mahabharata” are depicted in the carvings on the stone.

10 AM was our gathering time as per the event astounded am local time. I was there before that to welcome all of the LG participants and was excited to meet them in person after a while. @RupendraNeupane was first to join in. @BishowvijayaP and a new potential guide Mingmar Sherpa joined the event. We started our meetup by snapping the photos of anterior views of monuments from outside. Also we inspected the garden and  Museum Cafe & Gardens and answering the accessibility questions on our course. Later @SovitaD joined with us, we together entered to Patan Museum after paying an entry fee. The museum is supposed to be the best museum in South Asia in terms of the number of visitors, it’s collections and the investment. The glimpses of the monuments inside the museum can be seen in photos below.Photo from meetup hosted by mePhoto from meetup hosted by me

The other two LGs @Nirmal and @Sarojdhakal joined with us during the museum visit. There we gained a lot of information by the written inscriptions, encoded messages in the monuments and mutual conversation. While moving around we got to see a lot of Chowks. Chowks are the open spaces of specific value and are surrounded by buildings especially palaces and governmental buildings of medieval Nepal. The museum is divided into eight gallery namely first gallery is introduction to the exhibits i.e. gallery A, gallery B is dedicated to great god Shiva(The destroyer). It contains idols of god Shiva and his consort Pravati and his elephant headed son Ganesh. Gallery C is dedicated to God Bishnu ( The Preserver) likewise gallery D is related to early Hinduism & Tantrism gallery E & F is related to buddhism, gallery G is related to metal technology and gallery H is related to historical views of Nepal.

Krishna Mandir under RenovationKrishna Mandir under RenovationVishwanath Temple-Renovation process undergoingVishwanath Temple-Renovation process undergoingme, Bishowvijaya & Mingmame, Bishowvijaya & MingmaIMG_1425 (Copy).JPGResting place in-front of Krishna MandirResting place in-front of Krishna MandirRupendra with smileRupendra with smileStatue column of King Yognarendra MallaStatue column of King Yognarendra Mallaentrance of Mul Chwokentrance of Mul ChwokStatue column of King Yognarendra MallaStatue column of King Yognarendra MallaTickets for foreignersTickets for foreignersstudent's Field visit from S.Koreastudent's Field visit from S.KoreaMuseum Ticket for Nepalese StudentMuseum Ticket for Nepalese StudentCourtyard behind the  Keshav Narayan TempleCourtyard behind the Keshav Narayan TempleCourtyard behind the  Keshav Narayan TempleCourtyard behind the Keshav Narayan TempleCourtyard behind the  Keshav Narayan TempleCourtyard behind the Keshav Narayan TempleRupendra and  Bishowvijaya in ActionRupendra and Bishowvijaya in ActionIMG_1496 (Copy).JPGCourtyard behind the  Keshav Narayan TempleCourtyard behind the Keshav Narayan TempleIMG_1506 (Copy).JPGMuseum CafeMuseum CafeInside look of Museum CafeInside look of Museum CafeIMG_1527 (Copy).JPGIMG_1528 (Copy).JPGIMG_1530 (Copy).JPGBhiravBhiravLocal Guide sovitaD in ActionLocal Guide sovitaD in ActionIvory handled bronze mirrorIvory handled bronze mirrorGlided throne of the former kings of  PatanGlided throne of the former kings of PatanTantric ManifestationsTantric ManifestationsKeshav narayan TempleKeshav narayan TemplePinnacle of Keshav Narayan TemplePinnacle of Keshav Narayan Temple

The monument that grabbed our attention for a longer period is Sundhara (Sun- gold, Dhara - tap). The golden tap is highly decorated with magnanimous stone carvings around it. In fact, the whole Durbar area is decorated with wooden and stone carvings.The brief detail with amazing facts about the museum can be learnt from this link. We recommend not to miss this place if you are visiting Patan

The Patan Museum in guidebooks and journals (Their copyright)

• ...superbly renovated, one of the finest museums on the subcontinent, beautiful synthesis of old and new...-Lonely Planet
  • spécialement reconstruit et aménagé avec l'aide du gouvernement autrichien, les collections exceptionnelles, parfaitement mises en valeur...-Guides Bleus
  • ...das Patan Museum, das alle Kostbarkeiten newarischer Kunst zeigt und eines der schönsten Museen Asiens ist...-Baedeker
  • ...the Patan Palace in Nepal-transforming it into the country's first self-sustaining art museum. Praised as one of the finest restoration efforts in southern Asia and the best museum of its kind in Nepal,..-Architectural Digest
  • ...the best museum on the subcontinent with plenty of lessons for us in India.-The Sunday Times of India.

After a visit to the Patan Durbar Square, we extended our event up to Bagalamukhi Temple and Kumbeshwor followed by Mani Mandap Monastery (Mahavihar) and Kwa Bahal (Golden Temple) followed by Hiranya Varna Mahavihar.

DSC_0675 (Copy).JPGMani mandap MahabiharMani mandap MahabiharEntrance of Golden TempleEntrance of Golden TempleInside Golden TempleInside Golden TempleInside Golden TempleInside Golden TempleInside Golden TempleInside Golden TempleThe Golden TempleThe Golden TempleDSC_0686 (Copy).JPG

God Bishnu over his ride Garuda with  Our local Guide Saroj DhakalGod Bishnu over his ride Garuda with Our local Guide Saroj DhakalAt 3:00 PM we finished up visiting the monuments and gave an event a tea break. There, we all summarized our early activities and future plans. I tried my best to summarize the meeting using the words but let me tell you all many more things were missed in the process. The meetup was amazing and I really love being Local Guide, that you can do so much to help society and yet have fun. 

Patan Durbar Square, Patan, Nepal
8 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: [RECAP] Patan Monument Photo Walk

Amazing monument pictures bro @Surendra awesome recap. Many Congratulations for your successful event and thanks for sharing with us this historical monuments. 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 10

@Surendra Wow.... this is a nice RECAP post. I would love to visit Nepal one day.

Level 8

thanks, Sure you are always welcome @AnuradhaP

Level 8

Thanks bro @NareshDarji

Level 8

@Surendra yes wow great momentum for Nepal Local Guides Community very amazing Photos from a great team effort 

@Surendra wrote:

Ptaan Monumental Photo Walk and Accessibility Walk

On the fine morning of 23 September 2017 we had an event   ‘Patan Monumental Photo Walk’ was organized in parallel to the event ‘International Month of Monuments’, an initiation of Nepal Local Guides this September. It was an exciting moment that we local guides are taking initiative to bring attention to the celebration of the heritage and trying to bring back the attention to back to them that they deserve.

We also fused event to align with  ‘ Host a Meet-Up to Support Mobility for All’  with a deep appreciation that we belong to the Local Guides community that always try to do greater good to the society including differently-abled citizens of the world. Thus the event actually was a monument and accessibility walk.

Our meetup site Patan Durbar Square, Lalitpur, Nepal is a UNESCO world heritage site full of ancient architectures, sculptures, and artifacts.

To visit the Patan Durbar square foreign visitors have to pay NRS.1000 and NRS. 250 for SAARC nationals. Even though there are thousands of artifacts, the most renowned temple among the temples in this area is a temple of Lord Krishna ‘Krishna Temple’. It was made by the late king Siddhi Narasimha Malla in 1723 AD. The amazing fact of the temple is that the whole temple structure is made out of stone and on the wall of the temple depiction of Hindu Scriptures “Ramayana” and “Mahabharata” are depicted in the carvings on the stone.

10 AM was our gathering time as per the event astounded am local time. I was there before that to welcome all of the LG participants and was excited to meet them in person after a while. @RupendraNeupane was first to join in. @BishowvijayaP and a new potential guide Mingmar Sherpa joined the event. We started our meetup by snapping the photos of anterior views of monuments from outside. Also we inspected the garden and  Museum Cafe & Gardens and answering the accessibility questions on our course. Later @SovitaD joined with us, we together entered to Patan Museum after paying an entry fee. The museum is supposed to be the best museum in South Asia in terms of the number of visitors, it’s collections and the investment. The glimpses of the monuments inside the museum can be seen in photos below.Photo from meetup hosted by mePhoto from meetup hosted by me

@ The other two LGs @NIRMAL and @Sarojdhakal joined with us during the museum visit. There we gained a lot of information by the written inscriptions, encoded messages in the monuments and mutual conversation. While moving around we got to see a lot of Chowks. Chowks are the open spaces of specific value and are surrounded by buildings especially palaces and governmental buildings of medieval Nepal. The museum is divided into eight gallery namely first gallery is introduction to the exhibits i.e. gallery A, gallery B is dedicated to great god Shiva(The destroyer). It contains idols of god Shiva and his consort Pravati and his elephant headed son Ganesh. Gallery C is dedicated to God Bishnu ( The Preserver) likewise gallery D is related to early Hinduism & Tantrism gallery E & F is related to buddhism, gallery G is related to metal technology and gallery H is related to historical views of Nepal.

Krishna Mandir under RenovationKrishna Mandir under RenovationVishwanath Temple-Renovation process undergoingVishwanath Temple-Renovation process undergoingme, Bishowvijaya & Mingmame, Bishowvijaya & MingmaIMG_1425 (Copy).JPGResting place in-front of Krishna MandirResting place in-front of Krishna MandirRupendra with smileRupendra with smileStatue column of King Yognarendra MallaStatue column of King Yognarendra Mallaentrance of Mul Chwokentrance of Mul ChwokStatue column of King Yognarendra MallaStatue column of King Yognarendra MallaTickets for foreignersTickets for foreignersstudent's Field visit from S.Koreastudent's Field visit from S.KoreaMuseum Ticket for Nepalese StudentMuseum Ticket for Nepalese StudentCourtyard behind the  Keshav Narayan TempleCourtyard behind the Keshav Narayan TempleCourtyard behind the  Keshav Narayan TempleCourtyard behind the Keshav Narayan TempleCourtyard behind the  Keshav Narayan TempleCourtyard behind the Keshav Narayan TempleRupendra and  Bishowvijaya in ActionRupendra and Bishowvijaya in ActionIMG_1496 (Copy).JPGCourtyard behind the  Keshav Narayan TempleCourtyard behind the Keshav Narayan TempleIMG_1506 (Copy).JPGMuseum CafeMuseum CafeInside look of Museum CafeInside look of Museum CafeIMG_1527 (Copy).JPGIMG_1528 (Copy).JPGIMG_1530 (Copy).JPGBhiravBhiravLocal Guide sovitaD in ActionLocal Guide sovitaD in ActionIvory handled bronze mirrorIvory handled bronze mirrorGlided throne of the former kings of  PatanGlided throne of the former kings of PatanTantric ManifestationsTantric ManifestationsKeshav narayan TempleKeshav narayan TemplePinnacle of Keshav Narayan TemplePinnacle of Keshav Narayan Temple

The monument that grabbed our attention for a longer period is Sundhara (Sun- gold, Dhara - tap). The golden tap is highly decorated with magnanimous stone carvings around it. In fact, the whole Durbar area is decorated with wooden and stone carvings.The brief detail with amazing facts about the museum can be learnt from this link. We recommend not to miss this place if you are visiting Patan

The Patan Museum in guidebooks and journals (Their copyright)

• ...superbly renovated, one of the finest museums on the subcontinent, beautiful synthesis of old and new...-Lonely Planet
  • spécialement reconstruit et aménagé avec l'aide du gouvernement autrichien, les collections exceptionnelles, parfaitement mises en valeur...-Guides Bleus
  • ...das Patan Museum, das alle Kostbarkeiten newarischer Kunst zeigt und eines der schönsten Museen Asiens ist...-Baedeker
  • ...the Patan Palace in Nepal-transforming it into the country's first self-sustaining art museum. Praised as one of the finest restoration efforts in southern Asia and the best museum of its kind in Nepal,..-Architectural Digest
  • ...the best museum on the subcontinent with plenty of lessons for us in India.-The Sunday Times of India.

After a visit to the Patan Durbar Square, we extended our event up to Bagalamukhi Temple and Kumbeshwor followed by Mani Mandap Monastery (Mahavihar) and Kwa Bahal (Golden Temple) followed by Hiranya Varna Mahavihar.

DSC_0675 (Copy).JPGMani mandap MahabiharMani mandap MahabiharEntrance of Golden TempleEntrance of Golden TempleInside Golden TempleInside Golden TempleInside Golden TempleInside Golden TempleInside Golden TempleInside Golden TempleThe Golden TempleThe Golden TempleDSC_0686 (Copy).JPG

God Bishnu over his ride Garuda with  Our local Guide Saroj DhakalGod Bishnu over his ride Garuda with Our local Guide Saroj DhakalAt 3:00 PM we finished up visiting the monuments and gave an event a tea break. There, we all summarized our early activities and future plans. I tried my best to summarize the meeting using the words but let me tell you all many more things were missed in the process. The meetup was amazing and I really love being Local Guide, that you can do so much to help society and yet have fun. 

Level 8

thank you so much @DavidTito it was first time that i held but it was sucess thank to every one 

Level 9

Hi, @Surendra, well planned and full of fun gathering also a well-written recap. Thank you for inspiring us.

Level 8

@Surendra it was a big success

@Surendra wrote:

thank you so much @DavidTito it was first time that i held but it was sucess thank to every one 

if you or your community need support of any kind your more than welcome to ask me anything, kind regards @DavidTito