ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

"The Eagle has landed" - The moon on your stories

The Eagle has landed” - Neil Amstrong, July 20, 1969, 20:17:40” UTC

This post is dedicated to the historic moment when, 50 years ago, the first men landed on the moon

50 Anniversary of the men on the moon50 Anniversary of the men on the moon

Caption: a picture of the moon, and "the Eagle has Landed" , pronounced by Neil Amstrong when the first men reached the moon, on July 20, 1969 - Photo Credit - Local Guide @ermestCaption: a picture of the moon, and "the Eagle has Landed" , pronounced by Neil Amstrong when the first men reached the moon, on July 20, 1969 - Photo Credit - Local Guide @ermest

Preface

I was nine year old, my eyes wide open watching the TV, in the evening of an hot summer. Men are on the moon!! Men are on the Moon!! 

The television was resting on the window sill, facing the courtyard. All the neighbors were there (we were the only family who owned a television) in the dark, watching the LEM that leaned in the Sea of Tranquility

50 years later, to celebrate an event that changed our way to watch the World, I want to invite you to write about the Moon, adding the moon in your stories

Caption: The moon over the mountains - March 10, 2017 - On the road - Entering Umbria - Photo credit: Local Guide @ermestCaption: The moon over the mountains - March 10, 2017 - On the road - Entering Umbria - Photo credit: Local Guide @ermest

Introduction

Raise your hand, if you see yourself on this experience.

The “zoom experience” starts when you arrive home with the new camera, or with a powerful zoom or a new telephoto lens.

The moon is there, a perfect subject to test your new toy. Waiting for the full moon, waiting for the perfect full screen shot that you have already seen everywhere on Internet. 

First shot. You check it and it is already good, the second one is better, after the third one you start to play with the manual setting, for getting if possible more definition. The results are greats, so you start something different: half moon, ¼ of moon, a small slice of moon. You can see the details of the craters on the border line between the light and the shadow. 

Caption: Various photos of the moon - Photo Credit: Local Guide @ErmestCaption: Various photos of the moon - Photo Credit: Local Guide @Ermest

Two months later you realize that every photo is very similar to the previous one, all the possibility seems to be already explored, and you start to forget the moon.

Again, raise your hand, if you see yourself on this story 🙂

The moon still there, but it is not longer appealing. Everything seems to have already been explored.

You can give up, now, or …..

… or you can start to think that “this is the perfect time for a change”, and you can .. “bring the moon on your stories

Dusk is the perfect moment, for taking a photo with the moon (not “of the moon”)

At dusk, the moon is not so high on the sky, so you can easily combine her (for me the moon is a female name) with other elements of the photo.

There is enough light for your subject to be clear visible, so for your shot to include the moon and the elements that are around you.

Countdown is started. My challenge for you is: Share here the your photos “with the moon”, and write the story of your photo

End date is: July 20,at 20:17:40 UTC - to celebrate together the first men on the moon 

My story:

It took to days for me to take the next photo. I had just left the hypermarket, and was about to get into the car when, looking up, I saw the moon, and I saw the street lamps. The association between the two things was immediate, with the photo already printed in my mind, but ….

The moon was not completely full, and I wasn’t able to find a good position for my shot: so many trees, and other obstacles were obstructing my ideal line, so I had to give up.

On the next day I reached the same place. The position of the moon was slightly different, so finally, I had a line, even if I had to took my shot from the middle of a roundabout, flattered on the grass, to find the right alignment.

I posted my shot on Instagram. I am inviting @JanVanHaver to repeat his comment here 🙂

Caption: the moon shaped on a street lamp - Photo Credit: Local Guide @ermestCaption: the moon shaped on a street lamp - Photo Credit: Local Guide @ermest

Can’t wait to see your photos 🙂

If you don’t have any idea of what I am talking about on the preface, here a few link for you:

Kennedy Space Center - Cape Canaveral - FL

Definition of Lunar Excursion Module

Mission Apollo 11

Cape Canaveral - Mission Apollo - Scan from a Pre-digital photo - Local Guide @ermestCape Canaveral - Mission Apollo - Scan from a Pre-digital photo - Local Guide @ermest

337 comments
Level 8

Re: "The Eagle has landed" - The moon on your stories

@ErmesT idea is wonderful - I will try to find and add mine. 

Level 8

@ErmesT hi!! So cientifical post but not less ontetesting. It marked a hillstone in our lives I think!!! Never fo

Level 8

@ErmesT hi!! Again i will try to make a post of the theme

Connect Moderator

Great Initiative @ErmesT !  I was only 3 in '69, so I have no recollection of the moon landing but I can imagine the excitement it must have been for a 9 year old.

When I saw the picture, I realized I had seen it before and had left an attempt-to-be-funny comment, but had forgotten what exactly it was. So, it is good that you mentioned it was on Instagram, thus allowing me to look it up 😁

The comment was "Have you reported to the proper authorities that the right one is broken?"

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Connect Moderator

Thank you @CaterinaOS 

I haven't seen so many people that use the moon on the photos..

Caption: Madonna and the moon - Photo Credit: Local Guide @ermestCaption: Madonna and the moon - Photo Credit: Local Guide @ermest

Connect Moderator

Thank you @Male2019 

The moon is for me an interesting subject. So close to us, but on the meantime, so far away.

Can't wait to see your photos

Connect Moderator

1969 was a very exciting year, @JanVanHaver 

I remember all the details of the Apollo 11 mission, and Apollo 13 too. I have visited Cape Canaveral years later, on 1996, it was a great emotion for me to see the LEM, and the Saturn V, the 110 metres high vector that was the missile used to transport the module out of the atmosphere.

Back to the photo, yes I reported it (LOL) and this was the solutionDSC01423.jpg

Connect Moderator

I want to add a bit of story about this photo. Traveling on the earthquake area, on a cold day of winter, while moving from Marche to Umbria region, we saw the moon just in front of us, on a deep blue sky.

I stopped the car on the highway, to find the best position for taking the photo, waiting for cars and trucks to pass.

I have a special love for this picture, so I wanted to use it on this post, where the moon is the protagonist.

In the middle of the noise of the traffic, the message that I was receiving was a feeling of silence. What is your feeling?

Caption: Crossing the border between Marche and Umbria Region - Photo Credit: Local Guide @ermestCaption: Crossing the border between Marche and Umbria Region - Photo Credit: Local Guide @ErmesT

Level 8

@ErmesT  thanks!! Ill try buy may be I have to practise a bit to make this kind of post of yours.