Shirley's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Your Most Adventurous Under 24 hour Layover?

@Fahid Wow that's too much touch and go for me you are very lucky, I had missed my flight by one day and the lady at the help desk did not speak any  English wow I was worried 

but managed to inquisitor  and slept in bnakock airport for one knight 

Level 9

@DavidTito: Feel free to tag me if there's a post you'd like to share or have a question! I'm happy to help!

And it totally depends on what you feel with layovers. I recall my first layover was in Frankfurt and I was very nervous as I didn't know if I would be able to manage.

Of course, better to be safe than sorry if you're worried.

But as you can see, both @Fahid and I had some exciting adventures on our connections!

@badaib I think I'll return soon to find mola mola and manta rays 😄 

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 8

@Shirley Thank you I will keep you in mind and will tag you, To be honest, you have been really helpful for me and to be even more honest I really want to Go it's not just about

me it is about me doing it for Perth Western Australia and my Community I know lot people have big hopes for me Perth has never been displayed on LocalGuides youtube videos

nor Photo of the week to tell you truth I haven't seen anything all and I keep an eagle eye on these this things, I have been around Maps and Pilots since young age and Google maps is Part of my life and I hope I can be apart of there life too and I really like to Go Layover or no Layover My passport is ready and im taking to my travel agent because who knows right thanks @Shirley you been mighty helpful cross my fingers to see you there.......

@Shirley wrote:

@DavidTito: Feel free to tag me if there's a post you'd like to share or have a question! I'm happy to help!

And it totally depends on what you feel with layovers. I recall my first layover was in Frankfurt and I was very nervous as I didn't know if I would be able to manage.

Of course, better to be safe than sorry if you're worried.

But as you can see, both @Fahid and I had some exciting adventures on our connections!

@badaib I think I'll return soon to find mola mola and manta rays 😄 

Connect Moderator

Las paradas múltiples son un tema que sufre en algun momento, la mayoría de los viajeros como nosotros, que hacer, creo que lo que tú realizaste @Shirley, es una de las mejores opciones tratar de que nos rinda el dinero, el tiempo y en especial poder disfrutar algo del lugar, en donde estamos parados, hasta la próxima conexión. En mi caso les traigo una anécdota reciente que me ocurrió en un viaje que realice a  Medellin, Colombia.

Optimizar los tiempos, cuando vives en el extremo sur del mundo, es complicado. Desde mi ciudad Rio Grande, solo hay dos vuelos y solo a Buenos Aires, Argentina, uno a la mañana y otro a la tarde, En este viaje salí a la mañana y llegaba a las 13:30, A pesar de todo tenía que hacer noche en Buenos Aires.

16393C07-2B78-43A7-8C59-AB670299B02E.jpeg

Saliendo de la Isla de Tierra del FuegoSaliendo de la Isla de Tierra del Fuego

El aeropuerto de llegada era el Jorge Newbery 

Mirando el Rio de la PlataMirando el Rio de la Plata

Llegando al aeropuerto Jorge NewberyLlegando al aeropuerto Jorge Newbery

Recién al otro día tenía vuelo a Bogotá, Colombia, la segunda escala donde teóricamente tendría que esperar unas 6 horas. Para el vuelo a Medellin, Colombia.

Llegando a el Dorado en Bogotá, ColombiaLlegando a el Dorado en Bogotá, Colombia

El DoradoEl Dorado

Llegando a MedellinLlegando a Medellin

La cosa es que cuando hacemos el Chek In, nos dicen si deseábamos, podíamos salir a Medellín en media hora, teóricamente al aeropuerto local de Medellin, bueno no fue así fuimos al Aeropuerto internacional de Medellin, a una hora de la ciudad, por desgracia, los amigos que nos pasaron a retirar, tenían patente de auto impar, en la ciudad existía restricción de tránsito hasta las 20:00, sin quererlo fuimos a pasear por el campo hasta que se hizo la hora para poder entrar en Medellin, en pocas palabras, "lo que se gana por un lado, se pierde por otro" jajajaja el tiempo siempre es uno no se fabrica tiempo ...

@Shirley, me encanta tu post ya que es una linda escusa, para contar este tipo de historias tipo sanwitch, que generalmente, no encajan en la historia principal. 

Saludos Farid

👇

For the case that has difficulty, in reading my answer, in the upper right part of the screen, in the drop-down menu of languages, you can select the language, in which you want to read the post.

Level 9

@DavidTito happy to help! Good luck with your application for Connect Live 🙂 Google always has new ideas and surprises. We never know where they may go next for videos or what they choose for photos. Keep up with high quality contributions, and you never know! 

@FaridTDF: Gracias for your kind words! I love your plane photos as well. I always strive to get a window seat so I can take photos like that! But doesn't always happen. Thanks for sharing your adventures too! 🙂

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 7

Recently I took a trip to Japan, and on the way, I had a 14-hour layover in Hong Kong. Read below for my tips on getting the most out of your (half) day in Hong Kong (including a pro-tip about how to visit the highest observatory in Hong Kong!)

Guide: Hong Kong from afar and up high, in 14 hours

Take the MTR Airport Express from HKG airport to Central Station (24 min, and drives along the water, offering a nice view of the bay and then astounding views of the Hong Kong skyscrapers / apartments), total cost: 115 HKD (14.66 USD) for a single-day return ticket.

IMG_20180404_074323.jpg

Get off Central Station, walk up the Central Mid-Level Escalators starting from the One International Financial Centre (note: during rush hours, the escalators run downhill, so you’d have to walk up the stairs besides the escalators—this can be tiring!)

IMG_20180404_084146.jpg

Walk all the way up to Conduit Tower (no sights here) and turn left and head towards the Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens (lots to see here!)

IMG_20180404_091305.jpg IMG_20180404_091314.jpg IMG_20180404_091616-EFFECTS.jpg

Continue onwards to The Peak Tram base station. Get the Peak Tram Sky Pass (you’ll see later), total cost: 99 HKD (12.60 USD) for a return ticket.

This tram is super steep, and super fun to ride!

IMG_20180404_092828.jpg IMG_20180404_093152.jpg IMG_20180404_095050.jpg

Upon arrival to the top, in the building, take several escalators (like, at least 5 or 6) to go even higher, to arrive at the Sky Terrace 428 (use the ticket you bought) this view:

PANO_20180404_100706.jpg

WOW!

After you’ve taken the requisite scenery and selfie pics, and relaxed a bit in the mall, take the Tram back down to the base station.

Then make your way to Pier 7 and take the Star Ferry to the Kowloon side (frequent rides), total cost: 2.7 HKD (0.34 USD!). Along the way, enjoy the amazing views both sides of the Victoria Harbour.

PANO_20180423_123317.jpg

And now comes the pro-tip! The highest indoor observatory deck in Hong Kong is the Sky100 observatory. Normally a ticket to Sky100 costs 169 HKD (around 21.50 USD) or 188 HKD (24 USD) at the door. But, what if I told you there is an even cheaper, and higher observatory?!

YES, you say?

Check out this place: OZONE. 118th floor, 18 more than the Sky100 deck! (heh)

My pro-tip is to go to the OZONE lounge and enjoy a nice drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic, soft drinks also available). When the weather is clear, the outdoor area is open as well, which has an open top (above you: the sky!). From there, the view is really beautiful:

We were all the way up at the top of that building!We were all the way up at the top of that building! The elevator has 2 floors, 9 and 103 :DThe elevator has 2 floors, 9 and 103 😄 View from up topView from up top IMG_20180423_215833.jpg IMG_20180423_215903.jpg

(note: the dress code is business casual to fancy, so keep this in mind).

The best part: it can even be cheaper than the ticket for Sky100! (and of course, you get to enjoy a delicious drink).

My HK espresso martini for example, was delicious:

HK Espresso martiniHK Espresso martini Drink + view = pricelessDrink + view = priceless 

I’ll leave it up to you to guess what’s in it ;).

Afterwards, take the lightning-fast elevator down to the lobby, and take the equally-fast Airport Express from Kowloon Station (directly in the mall you are in) back to HKG Airport.

A lay-over well-spent in Hong Kong 🙂

Thanks to @AliC for also being an amazing Local Guide! #LocalGuidesConnect

Level 9

@Anthony_LG, thank you for sharing your experiences!! I had no idea about the highest observatory in HK. I guess now I have a place to check out when I'm back there again (haha probably soon).

I'm glad that you took full advantage of your layover! That is quite a bit to do in 14 hours!! Sounds like you had an awesome time! 

Level 7

@Shirley yea it was non-stop walking! 😆but in the end, it was worth it. We took in a lot of sights in Hong Kong and could rest our legs and feet during the flight.

Yes, the OZONE lounge is definitely recommended! The drinks were yummy too 🙂

Level 8

@Anthony_LG Amazing! It's incredible that so much can be done during a short stay. Makes me reconsider my feelings towards long layover flights. I haven't been here yet, but I'll be using your recommendations for when I get around to visiting

Level 8

Being crazy with an eight hour layover in Denver CO. Rented a car for 6 hrs. And drove to Boulder CO. For lunch and then a mad dash to Rocky Mt. National Park to see the views! 

wow! Just made it back in time to board next flight to Hawaii then Bali!!