MariaNgo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

World wide #ChristmasInMyCity 2022 challenge

Christmas in Melbourne - lights camera actionChristmas in Melbourne - lights camera action

Hello local guides, here we are again. The stores are starting to fill up with Christmas decorations and soon Christmas carols will chime in to add to the merriment. 

As I've done for several years now, let's gather together once more to showcase our cities and the way we celebrate Christmas where we are - be it fun filled frolicking fiestas or family feasts or fulsome wholesome hearty carols, let's share what we and our city does to commemorate and celebrate this season. 

So here is how it works, you can write a post for instance about Christmas and then tag me as well as use the #ChristmasInMyCity 2022 hastag. You can also share photos - tag me when you do and I'll include them here. Or you can also share them here in the comments.  Then I'll compile a list here to everyone's post/s and together share and learn how we do Christmas and what it means to us. 

Some question to get you going - 

Are there family traditions you engage in at Christmas? 

Are there special foods you eat during Christmas? 

Do you have a favourite Christmas carol? 

Does your city or village put on something special for Christmas? 

Is Christmas a quiet or energetic affair for you? 

When do you celebrate Christmas? (Aaah this might sound like a strange question but Christmas is celebrated in January also in some countries and traditions.) 

What's the weather like where you are when Christmas comes around? 

Are there particular ornaments, icons or clothes that you use, wear and associate with Christmas? 

What are the stores and or market places like at Christmas time? 

What's different for you this year this Christmas than previous year/s? 

Reminiscences of Christmas?  

Who do you normally celebrate Christmas with? 

Where do you normally celebrate Christmas? 

How about organising a Christmas meetup and sharing it with the world? 

So is there an opening or closing date to this Christmas challenge? You can start now. The closing date is 15 Jan 2023. 

Can you write more than one post? Of course you can. Just remember to tag me. 

Does it have to be just about Christmas day itself? No, it's the whole season. 

Can I tag other local guides? Absolutely. The more the merrier. Let's see if we can set a new record for contributions this year. 

So local guides, let's guide and let's get cracking and share the happiness and joy of the season. 

Look forward to hearing from you very soon and seeing all the fabulous photos, videos and write ups from all around the globe. 

#ChristmasInMyCity2022 

Following the post above, this is where I'll list the contributions as they come in. 

Thank you to the following for your participation: 

While I had the idea in 2018 to do a world wide Christmas challenge, it wasn't until 2019 that I launched it. But I skipped 2020 because nothing much was happening that year! But here are the links for previous years' main post where you can find the links to other contributions from there: 

Melbourne VIC, Australia
32 comments
Level 8

Re: World wide #ChristmasInMyCity 2022 challenge

@MariaNgo  ulasan ini bener bener luar biasa,pokok nya bravoo.

Aku pengen melihat langsung.tapi apalah daya aku orang miskin yang tak punya apa apa.

Semoga toko anda tambah melambung.NICE

Level 8

Betreff: World wide #ChristmasInMyCity 2022 challenge

@MariaNgo  es ist mir eine Freude zu sehen wie viel Liebe in deinem Beitrag steckt!!!

Hier in Deutschland ist es in diesem Jahr bis zur vergangenen Woche sehr warm gewesen. Ich lief sogar im T-Shirt draußen herum und sah Leute in kurzer Hose und Flip-Flops😳

Das ist für November hier tatsächlich eine ungewöhnliche Situation. Eigentlich ist dieser Monat grau, kalt und neblig. 

Auch wird auf Grund der derzeitigen Lage in Europa hier aufgefordert Strom zu sparen um einen möglichen Blackout zu verhindern. 

Wir haben sonst unseren Garten und das Haus, vor allem die riesige Nordmanntanne im Vorgarten mit festlichen Lichtern geschmückt. Darauf werden wir dieses Jahr zum ersten Mal verzichten.

Nichts desto trotz gibt es die für Deutschland bekannten Weihnachtsmärkte. 

Gerade heute Morgen suchte ich mir einen Link um gesammelte Vorschläge für einen Besuch eines solchen zu bekommen.

13x Weihnachtsmarkt in Nordrhein-Westfalen 

Mal schauen wann wir es einrichten können zu einem dieser Weihnachtsmärkte zu fahren.

Außerdem habe ich noch einen Beitrag zu einem deutschen Brauch geschrieben. 

Diesen findest du hier:

DIY Adventskalender Deutschland

WWeihnachtsgestecke mache ich alle immer selbst, ein paar habe ich für einen wohltätigen Basar verschenkt. 

Manche mag ich verkaufen. 

Und zwei habe ich derzeit selbst im Haus...

IMG_20221118_074617.jpg

Dies steht in meiner Küche

Ich bin sehr neugierig von anderen Traditionen zu lesen! 

Über mich | Liebe Grüße aus Lage, der kleinen Zuckerstadt im schönen Lipperland, gelegen im Westen von Deutschland

Connect Moderator

Christmas will come soon! 🎄

And #ChristmasInMyCity challenge is coming again @MariaNgo 

Thanks for the initiative. Let see what I could share for this challenge.

Looking forward to reading fellow Local Guides' Christmas story 😃

Level 8

Hi, @MariaNgo yes, I do remember you tagging me in the past doing this, I will do my best to get some snapshots for you here, I love your photos of Melbourn, and it is nice to see you doing well, bigs, and merry Christmas to you... I am now working FIFO roster in Port headland so fingers crossed

Connect Moderator

@MariaNgo I'm amassing my collection of photos and videos for this challenge! Really embracing it this year since I'm back in the UK and the atmosphere for Christmas is more appealing (cold, cold cold vs the hot humidity of Malaysia 😅)

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews
Level 10

Hello @Ocoytea4995  Thank you for your interest in this Christmas challenge. I do hope that many people from all around the world will participate and make this an exceptionally year. 

Level 10

Betreff: World wide #ChristmasInMyCity 2022 challenge

@Stephanie_OWL  wow! That's such a fantastic social community event getting together to create an advent calendar. I really love this idea. Thank you so much for sharing about this wonderful Christmas tradition. It's beautiful. 

And that list of places to visit - I hope you'll share your posts and links here  when you've decided which one you'll visit. There's so many to visit and so much to see. How would one choose.

In contrast to the cold where you are is the heat which can get quite unbearable at times here in Melbourne. We get high 30s to 40s Celsius temperature here in summer..

Level 10

Hello@DavidTito  With a FIFO roster it might be challenging planning Christmas. I appreciate your thoughts and efforts to provide photos from wherever you are of how you are celebrating Christmas. 

Level 10

@AdrianLunsong  That is simply awesome that you're really embracing the season this year. I look forward to seeing your videos and photos. No doubt you'll present us with a wonderful treat. You always do come up with very nice collections. In fact I would not be surprised if you did us a series. Enjoy the cooler clime this year. Spare me a thought while I swelter in the dry oven like heat.