WaweruM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

What should I absolutely not do when visiting the USA?

(c) Public Domain Pictures(c) Public Domain Pictures

I have never been to the US, what should I absolutely not do when visiting the USA?

Nairobi, Nairobi County, Kenya
26 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: What should I absolutely not do when visiting the USA?

@WaweruM wrote:

I have never been to the US, what should I absolutely not do when visiting the USA?

Hi @WaweruM i think the list could be very long. I will try to answer with my knowledge, starting from Custom Borders Control

• do not bring with you any biological/horganic food or good, including plants, seeds and specialties from your country
  • never, ever, drive after drinking anything containing alcohol, including beer
  • remember that each state has got different laws (some are very funny)
  • as a drone pilot, I've learned that you cannot fly drones in National Parks, unless you got special permit; it's a federal law since 2014
  • NEVER enter a private property; this is a serious issue in USA, also when you see a field without any border or sign, owner could use fire arms against you, it's a Constitutional right
  • while in crowd, move it in the flow, try not to seem suspect; this is meant especially in large cities
  • never use words that can let other people think about terrorism; ban words like bomb, bombing, etc.
  • remember the tips; in many states it's not an habit, it's law
  • USA is huge; so don't forget it when you try to drive across states

I hope many could add more

View solution in original post

Level 10
Solution

@WaweruM wrote:

Hi @WaweruM i think the list could be very long. I will try to answer with my knowledge, starting from Custom Borders Control

• do not bring with you any biological/horganic food or good, including plants, seeds and specialties from your country
  • remember that each state has got different laws (some are very funny)
  • as a drone pilot, I've learned that you cannot fly drones in National Parks, unless you got special permit; it's a federal law since 2014
  • NEVER enter a private property; this is a serious issue in USA, also when you see a field without any border or sign, owner could use fire arms against you, it's a Constitutional right
  • while in crowd, move it in the flow, try not to seem suspect; this is meant especially in large cities
  • never use words that can let other people think about terrorism; ban words like bomb, bombing, etc.

Level 10

@LucioVThank you for the detailed information, looks like if you are a visitor you should be very careful.

@LucioV wrote:

@WaweruM wrote:

• remember that each stat has got different laws (some are very funny)
  • while in crow, move it in the flow, try not to seem suspect; this is meant especially in large cities

Level 10

You are welcome @WaweruM! I've been in USA just 4 times, and these are the lessons learned 😉

But depends on the city and the state 😉

Level 10

@LucioVIt should be much complicated especially if you are coming from Africa because we do not have very strict laws

Level 9

Happy new year. Do not stare at the police at the airport and do not find an ashtray for a gift you will not find!!!!!!

@WaweruM wrote:

Level 10

@Zafeireishaha there are no ashtrays in the US

@popae wrote:

Happy new year. Do not stare at the police at the airport and do not find an ashtray for a gift you will not find!!!!!!

@WaweruM wrote:

Connect Moderator

@WaweruM Its really a big question But @LucioV make it small.

Everybody should take a look here before starting journey to USA. Thanks LuVi for this appreciate reply. 

Happy Guiding !!!

Level 10

Hi @WaweruM, please, visit this official site for international visitors: 

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors

On the left, there are further useful links like this one: 

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/know-before-you-go

and all the prohibited or restricted items here: 

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/know-before-you-go/prohibited-and-restricted-items

Happy browsing (and enjoy your travel)!

Level 10

Hi @WaweruM:

@LucioV 's suggestions are fantastic. Don't forget that cbp's guidelines refer to 

the admission process only (what's allowed in, etc.) You wanted to know what you

absolutely shouldn't do. OK here are my suggestions in addition to @LucioV's:

1. Always remember where you left your car. It's not that easy as you might have thought.

(In other words you shouldn't forget where you parked your car.)

2. Always carry a phone with all the important #s in it including your hotel's #.

(In other words don't leave your hotel without a phone.)

3. You shouldn't attempt to work or try to raise/make money in any way unless you have

the proper visa/paperwork. No exceptions. Very serious.

4. You shouldn't rely on local mass transportation. There are exceptions but usually local

lines are either operate or not. Schedule posted on the net is either kept or not.

5. You shouldn't rely entirely on gps. If you want to use gps make sure you have the latest

map software installed and it's updated properly. If you're a visitor it's always a good idea to

carry printed map. (People are usually very helpful if someone seems to be lost.)

6. You shouldn't think that if someone asks you: "How are you?" you are required to answer.

Just the opposite. The best thing: Say: fine, how're you doing. That's it.

7. You shouldn't think that in a restaurant you get what you see on their ads (especially in

fast food chains). Won't even be close. You're not supposed to mention that. And the price

will always be higher.

8. Never ever (and I mean ever) try to make jokes on/with/about weapons. Don't even try

to carry a water pistol, a wooden replica, or anything like that. No one, especially the Police,

will ever think that it's a joke. BTW: Police is very helpful, courteous, and professional especially

with visitors and tourists as long as they respect local rules.

I could go on and on but I think this much is enough for today. Good luck. Enjoy your stay.