Zuhralc's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

The year of ♿ Accessibility - 2021 - My Goals

An Accessible Car Parking Sign at Shopping Mall in Kenya - Photo by @ZuhraLCAn Accessible Car Parking Sign at Shopping Mall in Kenya - Photo by @ZuhraLC

Jambo Local Guides Family ,

As part of our advocacy, #OneAccessibility, we will share information about differently able and profile one location with accessible trails. Look out every week for this enlightening post.

The year is now halfway and many would wonder why  I share my goal this midyear. Yes, I have been trying to research more about Accessibility and inclusion to know how to go about it, recognize Accessible places, their rules, spread awareness in my community and how I can impact knowledge about its importance. And by gathering some important information from our mentors and experienced Local guides who have been recognized as Accessibility Champions before which you all know, and how they write their reviews on Google maps. I decided to join the One Accessibility volunteers forum so that I can learn more on how to make my mission successful in my community and country at large. Thanks to the One Accessibility team for this opportunity to be a part of you. I'm still a student here and by that, I would not go much deeper than how to create awareness about Accessibility as I take gradual steps, especially at the grass root level in my community.

When I joined the Local Guides forum, I was at my lowest even though I was recovering, I could spend a whole day in bed. By reading the posts of seniors on Connect and their advice and tips,  I am proud of myself as a local guide. In some of the posts by Accessibility Champions, I was so touched and felt as if I was part of the people with disabilities because by then I could not get Access to some things like boarding a vehicle, couldn't walk without support, and also get Access to some things in my own house without help from someone. When l get the picture in my mind of those people with disabilities, who for decades or life now are living in a way that it's part of them and required help, embrace and even recognition in society. I developed the passion for spreading awareness about Accessibility. After joining this forum I am learning a lot of things and Accessibility awareness being among the top priority. Anywhere I go, before completing my mission there, I must check how Accessible the place is and also share with those around there if they agree to listen.

As part of my 2021 Accessibility Goal,  besides contributing Accessible information on Google maps, I want to spread awareness about it first in my community on how it's very important to embrace and recognize people with different disabilities.

Making them feel loved, and recognized as a person who can make a positive impact in society.

As a Local Guide, I will try to cover maximum places in my area, or where I will visit, and will add all information about Accessibility which would be useful for the people with different abilities, and these Contributions will be helpful for them to decide about any place to visit. Right After being a local guide I made a Google Maps list of Accessible Shopping Malls of Nairobi Accessible Parks of Nairobi and shared it with many of my friends here.

In my future Connect posts, I will try to share my Accessibility experiences from my country, because a single person cannot do much but can create awareness, and can motivate people to join the campaigns for Accessibility.

In my daily routine, whenever I will meet any business owner, I will try to convince them to provide facilities for the people with different abilities, because it will not only be useful for differently abled persons but also good for their own business, and they will not miss a single customer because of unavailability of Accessibility.

I might not necessarily find those in a wheelchair but recognizing or sharing with anyone with a different disability would be my greatest achievement this year. Let's say, for example, this person in a wheelchair would need a ramp to enter a place, same as this person with Albinism from my experience need to strain to see clearly and furthest so ramps could be the best option for them, by telling all these people with disabilities that whenever they come across this Accessibility signs it means they are safe to enter the place and recognized.  

Also, a deaf person may want something but just because differently-abled and can't be heard, using a signage like this or any other sign would make them feel recognized. So my advocacy  as an Accessibility advocate would focus on first showing love to people with disabilities. Encourage the use of Accessibility symbols and also support them whenever I get the chance.

What is your Accessibility goal 2021? Do you have passion for accessibility or want to learn how to spread awareness? If yes, then don't hesitate to read more about it on #OneAccessibility posts. 

If you have a question, suggestion, or contribution, feel free to comment below. You can read previous roundups article here and check the list of our other articles under "Accessibility Uncovered"

Nairobi, Kenya
28 comments
Level 10

Re: The year of ♿ Accessibility - 2021 - My Goals

Hi @Zuhralc 

Great and informative post my dear!😍👍

Thank for sharing with us!

Have a nice day my friend! 🌻🌻

Mahbub

Warm Greetings 🌹💗  from Chittagong city

Bangladesh🇧🇩 

Pls click here to see my recent posts!! 

MD MAHBUB HYDER
Level 8

Just keep going @Zuhralc with your activities on accessibility. My support is always there.

Stay safe and happy.

Waiting for more from you.

#HappyGuiding

Level 7

Thanks my friend @MAHBUB_HYDER  for your kind words. 

Level 7

Thank you @PritishB  will surely ask for any assistance . Thanks for the compliment 😊

Level 9

I am so touched that you show interest in accessibility @Zuhralc one of the thing I love so much to do in connect is exposing the accessibility in Michigan to the whole worlds with expectation that maybe other countries will learn something from it. Let's change this beautiful world to a better place for everyone one day at a time!!!

#LocalGuidesUSA ~ Accessibility Champion ~ Guiding Star 2021 

Level 7

Wow, how delightful of your words @Erna_LaBeau  Ma'am, we shall make it beautifully Accessible for everyone because the much effort done by you our seniors, inspires us a lot more to make it better for everyone. Thanks for the support Ma'am.

Level 9

@Zuhralc . After reading your article all I can say is not only  you,we all are proud of you. Just keep it up. World needs people like you. All the best.

Level 9

We learn together and help each other as Local Guides to use the Connect platform as our media to convey our message and we hope to see the difference in the near future. @Zuhralc thank you for your kind words!

#LocalGuidesUSA ~ Accessibility Champion ~ Guiding Star 2021 

Level 7

Thanks a bunch, @Reallylucky for your support. Thanks for the kind words.