Petra_M's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

The magic of the Majorelle Garden in Morocco

Caption: A photo of the blue-and-yellow house of the French artist Jacques Majorelle, hidden behind some reeds and cacti at the Majorelle Garden, Morocco.Caption: A photo of the blue-and-yellow house of the French artist Jacques Majorelle, hidden behind some reeds and cacti at the Majorelle Garden, Morocco.

This October, I went on a trip to Morocco which was by far the best experience I’ve had this year. I travelled with some friends and we had the chance to visit Marrakech, Casablanca, Rabat, the Sahara Desert, and more. 

There’s much to see and do in Morocco, but one of the places that stood out was the beautiful and famous Majorelle Garden in Marrakech. I’m not someone who’s familiar with the different kinds of trees and flowers, so I didn’t expect to enjoy this botanical garden as much as I did! This is the most beautiful and calm place I’ve ever seen, even though it is right in the middle of the city. 

The Majorelle Garden was designed by the French artist Jacques Majorelle, who lived there until 1950. In 1980, two fashion designers, Yves Saint-Laurent and Pierre Bergé, bought the estate and opened it to the public. Today, the garden houses the Islamic Art Museum of Marrakech, the Berber Museum, and the Yves Saint-Laurent Museum.

Caption: A photo of a square fountain, painted in blue and white and surrounded by palm trees and cacti.Caption: A photo of a square fountain, painted in blue and white and surrounded by palm trees and cacti.

When you enter the garden, it feels like stepping into another world. Trees, cacti, flowers, and fountains can be seen everywhere. Don’t worry if you don’t know the names of the plants; you can find them written on sign boards all around the place. You can also sit and relax on one of the many benches and enjoy the beautiful nature.

Caption: A photo of blue-and-green stairs leading up to a passageway, covered in lush greenery. There are two big blue pots with plants on both sides of the stairs.Caption: A photo of blue-and-green stairs leading up to a passageway, covered in lush greenery. There are two big blue pots with plants on both sides of the stairs.

Inside the garden there are pathways paved with blue tiles; blue pots with flowers; buildings, passageways, and pagodas all painted in blue! This color is originally called “Morocco blue” and it was widely used by the Berber people to color their clothes.

Caption: A photo of a plant with names and words carved on its thick leaves.Caption: A photo of a plant with names and words carved on its thick leaves.

One thing that surprised me was a sign at the entrance reading, ‘Please, do not decorate the plants.’ I didn’t understand what it meant exactly, until I saw a plant covered in names and messages. There were words carved in leaves and tree trunks. It was a sorrowful sight, as I firmly believe that nature, plants, and animals are just as deserving of respect and protection as human beings are.

Caption: A photo of different types of palm trees and flowers at the Majorelle Garden, Morocco.Caption: A photo of different types of palm trees and flowers at the Majorelle Garden, Morocco.

If you wish to take some good photos of the garden, I recommend going before 10 a.m., as it tends to get crowded. The queue is also shorter around that time. There is an entrance fee of 70 Moroccan dirhams (around 7 dollars), which allows access to the garden, but not to the museums inside. The garden is popular among families, young and elderly people, and visitors from all over the world who wish to take a breath amidst the hustle and bustle of the city.

What I liked the most about the Majorelle Garden is that it’s so peaceful and quiet that you can hear the birds chirping and the water dropping in the fountains, making you forget your daily tasks for a while.

Have you ever been to a botanical garden? Share your experiences and photos in the comments below!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Marrakech, Morocco
66 comments
Level 8

Re: The magic of the Majorelle Garden in Morocco

@Petra_M it's really great.  you write very well and gave a wonderful description of the place.  Thank you very much. Even without going to such places, I found out about the place.

Level 8

What a nice place this is! Thanks for sharing such a cool place @Petra_M .

Thanks for the warm words @moshtak786@SunMoon

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 8

Bls: The magic of the Majorelle Garden in Morocco

Nice place ... woow @Petra_M 

Connect Moderator

@Petra_M Another nice post! Detail information may help who are searching to know about this Garden.

You can also read this about summer view in Dhaka city

The different view of Dhanmondi lake  which shows  the Wonder of  Summer natureThe different view of Dhanmondi lake which shows the Wonder of Summer nature

Keep Guiding! 

Happy Guiding!

Thanks for mentioning it @ShafiulB, it looks beautiful!

Google Moderator

Hey @Petra_M ,

This is one of the most beautiful places I've seen on picture so far, thanks for sharing! Now I definitely want to visit the Majorelle Garden and enjoy the magnificent view. And to answer your question, I've been to a really impressive garden before but I am not sure if I can call it botanical. 🙂 Nevertheless, I was super excited when I entered the Cactus Garden in Lanzarote. Never have I ever seen so many cacti in one place before but they were all amazing. Here is one of my favourite photos:

Caption: A photo of various cacti in the Cactus Garden, Lanzarote, the Canary Islands (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of various cacti in the Cactus Garden, Lanzarote, the Canary Islands (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Hello @Petra_M,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Majorelle garden with us. I liked the way you presented and depicted this magical area, and it is really a quiet place within a crowded city! 

As far as I remember, there is even a little souvenir shop inside the garden. Did you take something from there?

I'm sharing with you some photos that I took at the same garden long time ago. 

Caption: A photo of a  huge pot with a plant at the Majorelle Garden. (Local Guide @BorrisS)Caption: A photo of a huge pot with a plant at the Majorelle Garden. (Local Guide @BorrisS)Caption: A photo of an alley with pots and plants at the Majorelle Graden. (Local Guide @BorrisS)Caption: A photo of an alley with pots and plants at the Majorelle Graden. (Local Guide @BorrisS)

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 9

Beautiful Majorelle Garden in Morroco @Petra_M thank you for sharing with us ...