AdrianLunsong's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

The Breakfast of Gods: Sarawak Laksa #NoodlesOfSarawak

Caption: Cover photo showing a backdrop of the Sarawak Laksa dish with the text "Sarawak Laksa" on top of it.Caption: Cover photo showing a backdrop of the Sarawak Laksa dish with the text "Sarawak Laksa" on top of it.

As part of #ThePurrfectCity series where I’m writing about Kuching, the Cat City of Sarawak, Malaysia, here’s a saliva inducing post on Sarawak laksa. Incidentally, this post is going to be part of a sub-series called #NoodlesOfSarawak where I hope to introduce you to a few noodle dishes that originate from Sarawak!

Contents:

• Laksa and its origins
  • Introduction to Sarawak laksa
  • Ingredients and how to cook it
  • My favourite Sarawak laksa shop
  • A brush with Hollywood

Laksa and its origins

Typical me, history is not my thing so I had to research this stuff online. Fun fact that I didn’t know, ‘laksa’ means ‘noodles’ in the ancient Persian language. Laksa (Wikipedia) is hugely popular in Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and Thailand, and is basically a noodle dish in a spicy broth. There are many varieties but you’ll learn about the three main ones here!

It originates from the Peranakan cuisine and Peranakans (Wikipedia) are an ethnic group that came about when Chinese traders settled down along the Straits of Malacca (Maps) and married the local women. This all happened between the 15th and 17th centuries. In those times, the traders were almost always men and the interacial marriage created a unique cultural blend of Chinese and Malay customs that resonated in the Peranakan cuisine; definitely a must try when you’re visiting Malaysia!

Thus, was born the simple laksa dish that oftentimes, creates an explosion of flavours on your tongue!

Introduction to Sarawak laksa

There are three main types of laksa; curry laksa, asam laksa and a combination laksa, which the Sarawak laksa falls under. The curry laksa uses a coconut based broth and is quite curry-like in flavour and looks. The asam laksa uses a tamarind based broth that creates a unique sour flavour. The Sarawak laksa uses both coconut and tamarind in producing its broth and has a hearty dose of sambal belacan (spicy shrimp paste) added too. I don’t have any photos of the curry/asam laksa but you can click the links shown above to view photos from the Internet.

Needless to say, Sarawak laksa is hugely popular in Kuching! You can find some curry laksa but you’ll be super hard pressed to find any asam laksa here. Sarawak laksa is also a dish enjoyed by everyone because the ingredients can be made Halal quite easily.

Caption: Photo showing the Sarawak laksa dish at Chopstick Garden. Photo by Local Guide @AdrianLunsongCaption: Photo showing the Sarawak laksa dish at Chopstick Garden. Photo by Local Guide @AdrianLunsong

Ingredients and how to cook it

The main ingredients in Sarawak laksa includes:

• Spicy broth made from sambal belacan (Wikipedia), tamarind, lemongrass, herbs and spices with a little coconut milk.
  • Thin rice vermicelli noodles
  • Beansprouts
  • Shredded chicken
  • Thin strips of egg omelette
  • Boiled prawns/shrimps
  • Garnished with coriander
  • Sambal and a wedge of lime as condiments; folks normally top up on the spice level and squeeze the lime juice all over the noodles before eating

And here’s a quick table to show the differences between Sarawak laksa, curry laksa and asam laksa.

Ingredients

Sarawak laksa

Curry laksa

Asam laksa

Broth

Coconut and tamarind based, has shrimp paste added

Coconut based, has curry paste added

Tamarind based, has fish paste added

Vegetables

Usually comes with beansprouts

Usually comes with beanprouts and fried beancurd puffs

Usually comes with julienne cucumbers, onions and pineapple

Meat

Boiled prawns/shrimps, shredded chicken

Sliced fish cakes, fish and/or chicken slices

Mackerel flakes

Egg

Strips of egg omelette

Hard boiled egg

None

As for how to cook it, you’ll be able to find many online videos but I’ve picked out this simple one that quickly shows you how it is prepared! It’s drool time!

And here are a couple of sites that I’ve found with full recipes and instructions if you ever fancy giving it a go:

Note: I have zero affiliations to the websites shown. I’m just doing a search online and selecting the best that I could find.

My favourite Sarawak laksa shop

Don’t judge me but Sarawak laksa is not my favourite dish! So, I don’t often order it when I’m out for food! I have tried a few from different places and also taking in family feedback, I believe that this place offers the most compelling experience!

Choon Hui Cafe (Maps)

Caption: Photo showing the Choon Hui Cafe from the street. Photo by Local Guide @AdrianLunsongCaption: Photo showing the Choon Hui Cafe from the street. Photo by Local Guide @AdrianLunsong

You can read my review here. It only scored 3/5 stars but I have quite a stringent rating scheme going on and it gets penalised for lack of accessibility.

Caption: Photo showing the inside of the Choon Hui Cafe. Photo by Local Guide @AdrianLunsongCaption: Photo showing the inside of the Choon Hui Cafe. Photo by Local Guide @AdrianLunsong

Caption: Photo showing the inside of the Choon Hui Cafe. Photo by Local Guide @AdrianLunsongCaption: Photo showing the inside of the Choon Hui Cafe. Photo by Local Guide @AdrianLunsong

A brush with Hollywood

Sarawak laksa came to the forefront when the late American chef, Anthony Bourdain (Wikipedia) visited Sarawak for his travel shows. He visited Choon Hui cafe twice, once in 2005 for Travel Channel’s No Reservation and in 2015 for CNN’s Parts Unknown, and he called Sarawak laksa the ‘breakfast of the Gods’.

That spotlight was definitely well deserved and I’m so glad to see it get the attention on the global gastronomic stage. Certainly, you will see/hear of many tourists coming to Sarawak wanting to give the laksa a try!

According to CNN’s World’s 50 Best Food, sadly we only have the asam laksa making a show. You can check out the editor’s choice (#7) as well as the reader’s choice (#26).

Caption: Photo of the Sarawak laksa dish from Choon Hui Cafe. Photo by Local Guide @AdrianLunsongCaption: Photo of the Sarawak laksa dish from Choon Hui Cafe. Photo by Local Guide @AdrianLunsong

For my Southeast Asian Local Guides family, I’m sure you have your own version of laksa! I’ll be super keen to find out more about them and I’m sure we can debate forever on which is the best! Do share your laksa in the comments below and let’s help educate the world on this amazing dish! By the way, I think we need to visit each other and try them all and then we can decide on the best! 

Thanks to everyone for checking out this post and I hope that you’ve enjoyed learning and reading about Sarawak laksa. You can check out the other posts in #ThePurrfectCity series:

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews
Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
60 comments
Level 8

Re: The Breakfast of Gods: Sarawak Laksa #NoodlesOfSarawak

Hello @AdrianLunsong 

Thank you so much for writing such a great article so we want you to write more posts.

Yours

Friend 💚

Google Moderator

Hei @AdrianLunsong

Drooling! Now this is my kind of breakfast. Oh, how much I miss my heavy Asian breakfast. I need to learn to make my own Malaysian laksa and thanks for the recipe recommendation. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Hi @AdrianLunsong,

oh the breakfast of Gods, indeed! I've personally never tried it but at first shot I thought it was a regular main dish, then I read breakfast .. OMG champion breakfast 😊.

Very nice post, the dish looks so nice and delicious, I think my favorite is the Sarawak laksa for sure, I love shrimps and the combination of the dish is so yummy!

Thank you for sharing it with us.

| | | | - La decisione più coraggiosa che puoi prendere ogni giorno è quella di essere di buon umore 🙂

Connect Moderator

Thanks very much @venkatesh322 but I would also invite you to write about your own country, the culture and the food too! We all have a story or two to tell and it's always nice to hear from as many people as possible!

@AngieYC Asians don't have breakfast actually. Nor lunch nor dinner. Mainly because Asians eat/graze all the time. The whole day is just one happy day of eating! 😂 The Wikipedia page has a long list of different Indonesian laksa, but it also says that soto is a more popular Indonesian dish than laksa! Is that true?

@LuigiZ I actually never thought of the laksa as a breakfast dish. You can eat it whenever you want and in most places it's available all day long! The portion is quite small so I would consider it like a snack. Maybe that's why folks eat it for breakfast or whenever they feel like it. Another interesting thing to note, in Malaysia (and maybe other neighbouring countries too) we eat out a lot. It's not uncommon for city dwellers to have breakfast, lunch and dinner outside during the weekdays, possibly even weekends. Sometimes, it can be even cheaper to do so! Personally, after 20 years of a UK lifestyle of eating at home and cooking simple food, it is a bit of a shock for my tummy with the change in diet. I am sometimes missing the bland meals I have in the UK!

Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
Connect Moderator

Very interesting @AdrianLunsong, and yes I do agree, actually from our Italian culture breakfast is commonly sweet, so also different from the rest of Europe 😂.

Nice to read about the different habits in eating out and about the affordable, cheap, way .. I can imagine it is a completely a different story compared to UK, I remember when I have been in Malaysia that local food in local districts of KL was very cheap. Anyway leaving the diet, it means you have more to take care as Local Guide 😉.

| | | | - La decisione più coraggiosa che puoi prendere ogni giorno è quella di essere di buon umore 🙂

Level 10

Hi @AdrianLunsong 

I hope you are doing fine!

You post and your photos gave me the desire to have asian food. Unfortunatly, I don't have so many opportunities where I am!

Sarawak Laksa has reminded me good souvenirs of my trip to Malaysia long time ago 😭.

Thanks for sharing

Connect Moderator

I'm no Anthony Bourdain @AdrianLunsong but I visited and stayed in Kuching and had a great time with very friendly and hospitable locals there and can attest to the saliva inducing Sarawak laksa 🙂

Leaderboards of Top 100 Local Guides from over 100 different countries!!!
Connect Moderator

@LuigiZ I miss having pastries for breakfast: croissants, muffins, pain au chocolate, Danish pastries.. the whole lot.. 

Caption: A collage showing three photos of pastries from Europe. Photo by Local Guide @AdrianLunsongCaption: A collage showing three photos of pastries from Europe. Photo by Local Guide @AdrianLunsong

Okay, maybe I just miss sugar! 😂

@LuigiZ @AdamGT @Julien44  It's weird.. here's me thinking that nobody has been to Malaysia, much less Kuching.. and then you guys popped up! 😅 Well, if you ever fancy a trip to sweat paradise (I know you weird folks love the heat and sun!), come and swing by to Malaysia! Happy to host you folks and show you around! 😎

Connect Moderator

Oh wow, that picture is starving @AdrianLunsong .. how many so nice sweets ?.

Hehe I really enjoyed my trip to KL, was several years ago, and be sure that if I pass over there again (and I want to do it once somewhere) you and @StephenAbraham will know it for sure ?. Well the cozy warm, that's the only thing I don't have a very nice memory of ? .. I remember the local partner I was visiting told me to wear the suit without jacket, just shirt and tie as that was the "standard', impossible to wear the jacket as well LOL.

Few of the local "free exits" I enjoyed ?.

Around the corner approaching Bukit Bintag night life area - Local guide @LuigiZAround the corner approaching Bukit Bintag night life area - Local guide @LuigiZ

Street home-like food in a suburb of KLStreet home-like food in a suburb of KL