UmbertoE's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Some tips for Local Guides in small towns

Hi!

I live in Russia, in the small town Orsk. I have a job and very little time for entertainment. And at the same time - in the city a little entertainment, few attractions, few tourists.

All this, as you know, not contribute to the development of local guides. Those who publish reviews, ratings, photos, there, you can see them on Google maps. But mostly, people are limited to a small number of reviews, they will quickly give up. Especially when neither in reality nor on the local map there is no one who has really made a great contribution. That is, there are experienced managers that can navigate.

I decided to become such a leader. And I think that has become a leader. Now I will try to answer two questions: Why should I? How did I do it?

Why.

Like millions of other users, messing with Google maps it seemed really fun. I made a few comments, a few photos - that's all. But what made me continue? I was once in a situation when we came to the next town and get lost there, even though I had all the maps and Navigator. I lost a lot of time and nerves to find the right place for me. And that was the reason I started to add information as if we were doing it for yourself. In the end, I moved on to a new stage, and began to add the information automatically. I'm glad to see the increase in views on my photo, reviews. That means I'm on the right track and my information for others to use.

HOW I DID IT.

It is very important that Google maps has become a habit. You don't have to force yourself to make changes: it should become a habit. How to achieve this? I will highlight a few of their practices.

1. Let Google maps will become your Notepad, your favorite tool. If you saw the new building, Hours of operation, good view - you can simply place it in Google maps.
  2. Consider Google maps as your personal territory, be her handler. For example, if you see that someone has incorrectly placed the object or left the wrong label, and immediately react to it. Conversely, if you saw a beautiful contribution to write a review, thank the author.
  3. Don't be afraid to edit information on the Maps. I noticed that beginning guides are afraid to change the wrong information. Overcome this fear in yourself. Many are afraid that their changes remain in moderation. It is also necessary to overcome. Remember that the moderators are not the titans, but the real people who really appreciate your efforts and welcome all your steps forward.
  4. You are in the game. You can see that Google maps Is a cool game, with their leaders, badges and rewards. You may not reach the top within 1 day (but who knows), but you will have the motivation to move forward and upward. In Google maps it is very well organized.
  5. Find your chip (or several chips). If you like to write reviews - write them. If you like add pictures - Add. Everything you do serves the right purpose. And nobody limits you.
  6. Make a habit your work in Google maps. For example, I used to do this lunchtime. To stretch their legs at lunchtime, I usually go out for a walk around the city. And I made Google maps a great opportunity to walk around the city, take pictures, see new locations, etc.
  7. Don't be afraid of other people. I've been shy when I photographed the building, I saw the suspicious glances. Many beginner guides it scares. Here the answer is simple: prepare a short speech for those who are unhappy will ask you what you are doing. Explain what you are doing and why it matters.
  8. Involve other people. Become experts not only in Internet but also in real life. Tell them about what you are doing, ask them to help you, tell them how to make changes to the map. This will help you become a better expert.

I hope these tips for beginners guides in small towns will be useful to someone.

Thank you for Your attention!

Орск, Оренбургская область, Россия
2 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Some tips for Local Guides in small towns

Level 9

Re: Some tips for Local Guides in small towns

Thanks a lot for sharing your nice experience with us. hope it will help more local guide and they also share their experience