Denise_Barlock's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Snowbirding in Arizona! Wait! What is that? #StateChallenge

Arizona is one of my favorite states to visit from January through May! The weather is comfortable and there is so much to do throughout the state! In the last four years, we have mostly been to Phoenix and Quartzsite but we hope to spend some time also in Yuma and Tucson this coming 2021.

Phoenix: This is a haven for snowbirds in January, February, and March and we've found it difficult to find a place to park our RV unless I make our reservations at least six months in advance. 

• A snowbird is a person who migrates from the colder northern parts of North America to warmer southern locales, typically during the winter.

We go here mostly for the great weather and off-roading opportunities in the Superstition Mountains. There are so many backcountry options to drive around here!

Driving in the back roads of the Superstition Mountains near of Phoenix, ArizonaDriving in the back roads of the Superstition Mountains near of Phoenix, Arizona

Quartzsite: There is a HUGE RV show and gathering here every year in late January. This event brings from 750,000 to 1,000,000 people in all kinds of RVs and camping options. Much of the land here is BLM (Bureau of Land Management) owned by the United States Government. The BLM land here is flat desert and the RVs and campers spread out in ALL directions for miles and miles and miles and miles! We normally spend a week here and gather with a group that has motorhomes by the same manufacturer as us. All campers must boondock (or dry camping) because there is no water, electricity, or sewer. While here we also do a lot of backcountry driving in the hills and back roads.  

Camping on BLM land at Quartzsite, ArizonaCamping on BLM land at Quartzsite, Arizona

For all of our off-roading, we expect to have no internet while driving. Before we go out, I download the maps on Google, and then we use our GPS to find our ways around.

Have you ever heard of the Four Corners in the United States? It's where four states (Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico) meet at exactly one place! It's in the middle of NOWHERE! ...but it's one place I've always wanted to go to. We made a detour just so we could go by here, be in all four states at the same time, and get some photos!

Four Corners, United States - Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New MexicoFour Corners, United States - Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

Do you have the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert National Park on your bucket list? If not, it should be! These are back to back parks and they are just off the major highway 40 that runs east to west. It's easy to get off the highway and drive through the parks and then get back on the road to your final destination. The parks are so easy to drive through that we drove into the parks with our motorhome with the Jeep attached and was able to easily stop at any of the viewpoints to see the sites! The desert is just stunning and I just love to see the forest of stones laying out in the desert. This is really a wonderful place to visit and we were able to see it with about a two-hour extension to our trip.

These National Parks are easy to drive throughThese National Parks are easy to drive through

This post is part of the #StateChallenge organized by @Kwiksatik and myself. If you want to find out more, check out our post here and here, and you can also find other submissions by searching the #StateChallenge hashtag. There is also a virtual meet-up on Arizona coming up which you can sign up to here!  

9 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Snowbirding in Arizona! Wait! What is that? #StateChallenge

Hi @Denise_Barlock 

Again you make me so jalous!!! I would Love to do the same travels like you or better with you! Maybe Im able to join the Arizona meet-up!

Regards from Germany!

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Anonymous
Not applicable

Betreff: Snowbirding in Arizona! Wait! What is that? #StateChallenge

Hallo @Denise_Barlock 

Toller, motivierender Bericht über eure Reise in Arizona. Wie ich aus eigener Erfahrung weiß, ist Winter eine wunderbare Jahreszeit für diese Gegend.

Connect Moderator

@TorM aaaahhhh.... but you have some amazing sites and views where you are! We were just talking last night how much it would be wonderful to be able to visit Germany again. I know you can't have the big RVs there as we have here but when I was there last, I saw lots of trailers???

Connect Moderator

Betreff: Snowbirding in Arizona! Wait! What is that? #StateChallenge

@Anonymous I'm not an "official" snowbird but I mostly live like one as much as possible 🙂

Connect Moderator

If I lived in the USA, I'll definitely like do be a "snowbird," @Denise_Barlock. Living in Rio de Janeiro all my life, I cannot imagine myself living in cold places. Nice article about Arizona. Thank you for sharing. 

Connect Moderator

@AlexandreCampbell I, too, do NOT like the cold weather to live in... but then I'm also not a fan of very hot. Arizona is over 110+ degrees in the summer as it is right now. It's very unpleasant to be there now. The snowbirds... They are currently up in Michigan, Montana, Wisconsin, Minnesota. This is the first year that we have not gone up to the northern states for the summer and I doubt we'll want to be in the South again for the summer going forward. hahahahaha... The snowbird life is the way to go!

Connect Moderator

@Denise_Barlock you have the most incredible adventures! I wrote my own article about my memories of Four Corners, and here you are with the most fabulous photos of yourself there!!!

Connect Moderator

@Kwiksatik The Four Corners is a VERY cool place! I just love that it's on an Indian reservation and there are so many little shops all around the marker. It's such a very unique place!

Connect Moderator

@Denise_Barlock some of my favorite turquoise jewelry is from my visits to Four Corners as a child! The location wouldn't be the same without those little shops!!