Kwiksatik's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

CHALLENGE | #StateChallenge Arizona

A banner with stars, stripes, and an outline of the state of Arizona. created by @kwiksatikA banner with stars, stripes, and an outline of the state of Arizona. created by @kwiksatik

ALL Local Guides around the world are welcome to participate in the #StateChallenge!!!  Everyone is invited to participate, whether they have visited the state themselves, or are daydreaming about what the featured state has to offer. Each challenge will have a #StudyGuide and a State Trivia Meetup (with questions sourced from the submitted articles). Details of the challenge are here. If you write an article, make sure to link to it in the comments so we can include it in our #StudyGuide!

✔️Articles must be published by midnight Pacific Standard Time the day before the meetup.

✔️500 words or less is best

✔️Link your article in the comments so we can add it to the #StudyGuide

✔️Attend the Meetup

Challenge: 🌵ARIZONA🌵

What have you seen👀done🍷eaten or 🏜experienced in Arizona? What do you want to see😎do🎲eat🌮 or experience🌄 in Arizona? 

Here is a list of interesting places in Arizona to help get you started!

Fun facts about Arizona to get you started:

1. There are 22 national parks and monuments in Arizona.
  2. There are more than 100 🍷 wineries and 22 🍇 varietals of wine produced in Arizona.
  3. Arizona 👩‍🍳 chefs and 🍽 restaurants have received more than 5️⃣0️⃣ James Beard nominations since 2010.
  4. Arizona's 🏜Sonoran Desert🏜 is the only place on earth where the iconic 🌵saguaro🌵 cactus grows.
    • 🛑 If you cut down the endangered cactus, Saguaro, you could face up to a year in prison.
  5. The Grand Canyon National Park is one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World, and the only one located within the 🇺🇸United States🇺🇸.
  6. There are 13 species of 🐍rattlesnake in Arizona, more than in any other state.
  7. Arizona cities Phoenix and Tucson get 🌞sunshine🌞 for 85% of the year. In Yuma, Arizona, the sun shines 90% of the time. All these cities receive more sunlight than even Hawaii or Florida!
  8. Arizona helped revolutionize the fast-food industry in 1975 when the 🍔McDonald’s🍟 in Sierra Vista opened the company’s first drive-through window.
    • At the time, soldiers from Fort Huachuca were not allowed to get out of their vehicles off-post while wearing fatigues. The owner of the McDonald’s franchise near the base pushed out a bit of one wall and installed a sliding glass window. Lines of hungry soldiers stretched around the building and 🍔Big Macs🍔 flew out the window as fast as the crew could make them.
  9. The original London Bridge stretches across a channel of the Colorado River🏞 in Lake Havasu City.
    • The structure was dismantled where each of the 10,276 granite blocks were numbered. The blocks were shipped from London to Arizona and then reassembled. Lampposts made from Napoleon Bonaparte’s cannons captured at Waterloo were also included in the transfer. It took three years for the move and reassembly.
  10. The world’s largest solar 🔭 telescope is located at Kitt Peak National Observatory in Sells.

Thank you @Denise_Barlock for researching these fun facts! 

What is our #StateChallenge schedule for the next NINE (9) weeks?

State

Start

End

Meetup

Arizona

7/17/2020

7/24/2020

7/25/2020

Missouri

7/24/2020

7/31/2020

8/01/2020

California

7/31/2020

8/07/2020

8/08/2020

Georgia

8/7/2020

8/14/2020

8/15/2020

Florida

8/14/2020

8/21/2020

8/22/2020

North Carolina

8/21/2020

8/28/2020

8/29/2020

New York

8/28/2020

9/04/2020

9/05/2020

Vermont

9/04/2020

9/11/2020

9/11/2020

Massachusetts

9/11/2020

9/18/2020

9/18/2020

Phoenix, AZ, USA
14 comments
Level 8

Re: CHALLENGE | #StateChallenge Arizona

@Kwiksatik

Thanks for your excellent essay writing and good explanation.

I am very happy congratulations.

Connect Moderator

Hi @Kwiksatik and @Denise_Barlock , I've posted an article about Arizona #StateChallenge ARIZONA - Where Breathtaking View & Big Cactus Exist! 

Looking forward to learn more about Arizona and attend the quiz 😊

Thank you for adding another states for the challenge.

Congratulations Megan @Kwiksatik for being a Connect Moderator 🎉🎉 Keep shining and inspiring!

Level 10
Connect Moderator

So excited @Velvel!!! I can't wait to add it to the study guide!!

Connect Moderator

@jayasimha78 I can't wait to add it to the #StudyGuide! 

Connect Moderator

Level 9

I have been to only about 5 or 6 states in the United States. 

I will participate in your state Challenge, because you are my new BFF, Megan @Kwiksatik

Thank you for attending Erna's "Accessible Michigan Meetup" 

Thank you for setting the room up on fire! 

I felt my purse race as you addressed us. 

Level 10

Connect Moderator

Thank you @Ewaade_3A! Were you the one clapping in the meetup? I have no objection to the new BFF, but whomever the clapping woman was - I want a GIF of that. It was the most motivating and affirming experience to see!