goelmyself's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Removing duplicate places & spam pictures in Google maps

I have recently seen that when i try to remove a duplicate place, often it does not show the option of editing the place. Anyone else also faced this issue & any solution to this??

Same with irrelevant pictures of any place, am unable to go to the image to flag it.

Feedback most appreciated.

Thx,

cs

Barotiwala, Himachal Pradesh, India
5 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Removing duplicate places & spam pictures in Google maps

Hey @ErmesT  and @goelmyself

Thank you very much for the information and for flagging it. We will look into this. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

Hi, @goelmyself 

There are several reason for a POI to be locked for editing.

It can be an element of the Map layer, or simply a POI locked by Google to prevent abuse.

It is impossible to give you a better answer, if you don't share some example with us

Can you please share some link?

Thank you

Hey @goelmyself

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Have in mind that this is a common situation and there are a few reasons behind the impossibility to propose an edit.

For example, after a PO is being edited, the edit needs to be reviewed by automated system or a Local Guide, to ensure the information is correct. If the edit has status not applied, it is because the information can't be 100% verified at this time. 

On the other hand, there are certain places that can't be edited by Local Guides and others you can only give your feedback about. As @ErmesT mentioned, we may need more information in order to be able to assist or give you a solution. Can you share more details about this issue?  

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 8

@Bobiisha   @ErmesT ,

Thanks for the response. To clarify this, am attaching two snapshots showing the issue.

Firstly, the location of these places on Gmaps is : https://www.google.com/maps/@30.930213,76.8350908,17.46z

Slide1.PNGSlide2.PNG

As you can see, it's the same place added with a different name on the map. And there is no option shown to edit the place. On top of that, often the duplicate place added usually has the name or other details incorrect, but it has many reviews & pictures from local guides, so i feel bad about reporting it since others have put in efforts with their contributions. I have raised this earlier also, probably the place which was added first should be retained.

And the next point, refer attached snap of a place very near to the above location. The first picture shows a video has been uploaded against this location, but when i try to view it, it doesn't show anything in the Pictures/vids folder on Gmaps. This video appears not to be of the specific place, hence i wanted to view it for surety before flagging it.

New Micrn114.PNG

Please advise on this.

Thanks,

cs g

Connect Moderator

Thank you so much for the screenshot @goelmyself , so @Bobiisha will be able to escalate the issue to the Google Maps Team.

Alternatively, you can also report the places on the Google Maps Community, where they usually deal with this kind of issues.

This place seems to be inserted like an area, not a POI, while the factory itself have no category.

For the second place there is exactly the same situation, and again the factory have no category

I don't see a way for a local guide to fix it, other than report it, through the "send a feedback" that you will find scrolling down your menu on Google Maps.

For more details you can read: Report an error on the map

Solution

Hey @ErmesT  and @goelmyself

Thank you very much for the information and for flagging it. We will look into this.