Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

[RECAP] Sydney Burger/Gelato Food Crawl!

fcr.pngHey Local Guides Connect!

As from my previous post a few days ago, some of Sydney's Local Guides hosted a few meet-ups to gather people who have the same interests or passions of one of the greatest things ever in the world: FOOD. Foodies unite as we ventured along Newtown, NSW one of the most renowned fashion and food districts in Sydney, albeit Australia!

So come one, come all! Hope you don't get too hungry reading this post. Go eat something if you can. 

IMG_20170617_131513.jpg

Saturday, 17th June 2017 (Burger Food Crawl Meet-up)

At 1:00pm I ventured into Mary's. Through the rock-n-roll music and atmosphere waiting to flirt with disaster, there I saw @TimothyVdp and one of his housemates. His friend had already ordered the Mary's burger, so eventually we got to ordering as well. He got the classic Mary's Burger whilst I got the cheeseburger. One thing I like to do is to fill up the burger with chips as well, and my goodness my love for chips is everlasting. You can see the picture of those chips and burgers in the image above. Eventually, another one of Tim's housemates came by, along with Miguel, who really just loved Mary's buns. Really. Note: you can find Miguel on his YouTube channel here.

Find someone who looks at you the way Tim looks at burgers.Find someone who looks at you the way Tim looks at burgers.After a filling of Mary's Burger, Tim's housemates left us while Tony joined us at D'munchiez and I did too, after mapping around and taking photographs of all the businesses! Next up, we found ourselves with a capable-enough burger. D'munchiez' burgers were pretty spot on, a simple concoction of meat, just like your regular burger, done better than right. It didn't stop there though, the owners were generous and really chill with us that they gave us quite a few additional items too. From some loaded fries and even some menu items that weren't even published just for our taste-testing. The service there was just truly magnificent, and on such a high note. Left us feeling so full afterwards I doubt we could've finished our next burger at our next stop: Jack's Newtown.

Loaded fries at D'munchiez. But are they really loaded?Loaded fries at D'munchiez. But are they really loaded?

Three burgers at D'munchiez.Three burgers at D'munchiez.

I myself arrived at Jack's Newtown only to find Tim and Miguel halfway through, filming their bliss as they sunk their teeth into these quality burgers. Another local guide also joined us too (I think his name was Carl, I am very terribad with names) and took a burger out. All in all, this day was just epic. "Epic day was epic!" as what Tim would say. We took a group-portrait, admired Tony's octopus anchor (it really clings onto anything fully solid brah!), exchanged contacts and went our separate ways.

From L to R: Carl, Briggs, Tony, Tim, MiguelFrom L to R: Carl, Briggs, Tony, Tim, Miguel

That's part one done. Let's go to our second meet-up!

C360_2017-06-18-16-54-21-567.jpg

Sunday, 18th June 2017 (Gelato Food Crawl Meet-up)

This meet-up was planned mostly on our Sydney Local Guides Google+ community. I was already in the Erskineville area looking around and admiring the train tracks and eventually met-up with Peter at Newtown station. He shared his location for about an hour, just waiting for a while to see if any other local guides came up. But as it was only accepted and listed in the Google Local Guides meet-up page for about a week, it was a tad bit of a last minute thing. So eventually it was only Peter and myself. But hey, it's food! And I love food.

Our first stop was at Gelato Blue. Can you believe that their gelato is non-dairy? How do they even make the cream if you have no milk? It's no secret, but apparently it's coconut water? But hey it was outright delicious. A bit of a sweet start to the crawl, while getting to read about the local fashion journal. We had a lot of time to spare, before taking snaps of a few things before heading our way to the next venue: Hakiki Turkish Ice Cream.

A selection of flavours at Hakiki Turkish.A selection of flavours at Hakiki Turkish.

The ice-cream flavours here were a little bit different, and for some people who aren't so adventurous, nerve-racking. They had flavours such as baklava, melon and feta, pomegranate and mandarin, to name a few. All these strange flavours made me somewhat nervous, but as I had the pomegranate one (see the cover photo), the taste eventually grew on me, to the point that it was quite enjoyable. Not bad for some turkish ice-cream!

This was a small scoop of ice-cream for $6. Value! I can't imagine what the bigger flavours might look like.This was a small scoop of ice-cream for $6. Value! I can't imagine what the bigger flavours might look like.Finally, Peter and I arrived at the renowned Cow and the Moon in Enmore! Given the constant crowdedness and popularity of the ice-cream store, I eventually came to accept that it really was one of the best in the world, no doubt. They were crowned the world's best gelato makers about a few years ago, and that is seriously absolutely one solid feat. Ahh I am in foodie heaven this weekend! And I desperately need to get back to the gym, ahah!

Here's a picture of myself and Peter Scully, the man who organised the event. Much appreciation and kudos to him! Sorry I do not know the other guy...Here's a picture of myself and Peter Scully, the man who organised the event. Much appreciation and kudos to him! Sorry I do not know the other guy...

To conclude, this weekend we had two Local Guides meetups in Sydney. It doesn't happen very often, but man am I glad it did! I got to meet some new awesome people, discover some amazing solid food, learn so many new things only connoisseurs would know and reignite my passion for people again. Newtown is such a beautiful place, I highly recommend familiarising yourself there, it's just truly a breath of fresh air and life for your soul, almost literally!

That's all from me today. Until next time, peace!

Newtown, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
15 comments
Level 10

Re: [RECAP] Sydney Burger/Gelato Food Crawl!

Apart from Timothy who I already tagged into the main post, I know some people who wanted/who might want to see this because of their love of food and everything burgers so I shall tag a few people.

@HelloSamsonR @OSAMA @Justine2807 @DiAnaUS @U-royFelixA

Also @Betchaboy and @Ropate, if you haven't joined our Sydney Local Guides Google+ community, you can do so here! I'm always down to meet new people and share in the joy that is mapping and accuracy.

Level 9

Very nice food crawl @Briggs

Done for the G+ are the mod there !?!

@Briggs wrote:

Apart from Timothy who I already tagged into the main post, I know some people who wanted/who might want to see this because of their love of food and everything burgers so I shall tag a few people.

@HelloSamsonR @OSAMA @Justine2807 @DiAnaUS @U-royFelixA

Also @Betchaboy and @Ropate, if you haven't joined our Sydney Local Guides Google+ community, you can do so here! I'm always down to meet new people and share in the joy that is mapping and accuracy.

Level 10

@Briggs Nice food crawl, I love it, you Fufilled your promise to share it with me and you did, :)...... but the ice cream i feel like licking it now from my screen 

😞 :(...... But @Briggs now am hungry :).

Level 10

What a delicious meet up @Briggs

Looks fantastic let me join the wonderful community. 

Level 10

I love these food items in the post.

I was full of stomach seeing a lot of fleshy foods in LGs. Now it gave me some relax and different taste. @Briggs

You have done a great job. Congratulations for the success.

Send me some ice-creams. hahahaha

Level 6

Amazing write up Briggs! Love it. Was an Epic day Indeed and I have the next one already lined up 😉

https://maps.google.com/localguides/meetup/timos-burger-crawl

Level 10

Wow a fabulous Google Local Guides #Sydney food fun for all involved.  Thank you @Briggs and @TimothyVdp for sharing this superb Burger Food Crawl looks like some delicious hamburgers with great people in Newtown. 

Plus big thanks again @Briggs and Peter Scully for organising and sharing a delightful Gelato Food Crawl as well.  

A great weekend for Google Local Guides Sydney. Cheers! 

Connect Moderator

Looks awesome. Food crawls are fun. @Briggs

Level 10

Hehehe, thank you all!

@OSAMA, actually one day I hope I'll be able to be a Sydney community moderator. I'm not the most intuitive or reliable person at the moment (I don't drive, ahah!) but it'll get there eventually.

@HelloSamsonR, well of course! A promise is a promise and I will do my best efforts to do so! Being hungry is good because eating makes it so much more worthwhile.

@BishowvijayaP, no worries at all! Glad I've diversified the foods you've been seeing and tasting with your eyes! If I send you some ice-creams, I'm pretty sure you might get a solution of expired sweetness instead. And I don't think that's a good thing, hehe!

@Justine2807 it was an absolutely #fabulous weekend for Sydney local guides! And we're already getting the ball rolling. I hope to be seeing you at @TimothyVdp's next burger crawl. Woah, another event already? So proactive, ahah!

@PaulPavlinovich I love food crawls, and this actually might officially be my first one. I for some reason got involved in an Adelaide pub crawl two years ago and I still have no idea what happened there.

Speaking of which, I read that you're a Melbournian! I shall be in Melbourne with mother dearest sometime this week. Anything of significant calibre you recommend us to dine at or sightsee? We're not picky, but she hates walking.