IlankovanT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

[RECAP] Google Maps towards Rural - July 2019

Before starting the RECAP, I would like to explain about my series of knowledge-sharing sessions "Taking Google maps towards rural"

I initiated this theme in 2018 September to take google maps towards rural villages, schools, and youth in order to educate Google Maps and the free tools provided by Google. Volunteering is an addiction from my perspective. Especially, helping people who are really in need. The main purpose why I started this meetup series is, to get hands together to educate our little children who live in rural villages with less technology facilities and thought to educate them on new technologies and selected Google maps and other Google free tools to them. So far, I have hosted 8 meetups with kids, youths, schools, children's orphanages, etc.  the targetted audience I have selected those based on the need, maybe poor family background / not exposed to technology/living in an orphanage with less facilities. We all are running behind happiness in our own life and yes I'm also part of them running after my happiness doing such activities to the community. I want to say big thanks to local guides who also have joined me so far to take Google Maps to Rural villages in Sri Lanka.

July meetup [RECAP]

Big selfie with kids :)Big selfie with kids 🙂

This time I have selected a children's orphanage in my village. @Kajan746  joined me and like the previous meetups, My wife also joined. She syncs with my volunteer works supporting me every time. 🙂

We all went to the meetup place and my first question was how many of them were there for the meetup. They counted and said 36 kids, and my second question was how many of you are familiar with computer and they said they have never switched on a PC and they have had no facility or opportunity to do such. I took this into the mind and decided to spend a good time with them and started the meetup with Kajan introducing Google Maps.

Kajan giving a brief introduction about Google maps to kidsKajan giving a brief introduction about Google maps to kids

Google maps - they seemed to have learned about mapping at their school and when I showed them the Google map on my multimedia projector they got amazed and lots of questions from them and we answered without getting tired. I took them virtually to their home, famous place like Tajmahal, Great wall of China and etc.

Questions from kidsQuestions from kidskids at a children's orphanagekids at a children's orphanage
Yes, also I gave the VR box to see the places through that and they were really happy seeing this. Also, I showed the google home, google translation and many other Google tools to them.
Since they do not have a computer and printers I was teaching them how to make a map on paper referring to Google maps. using the projector screen I was teaching them to draw the map of Palugamam, Batticaloa, Sri Lanka by color chalks and pencil. yes they did a great job and they also requested me to send this colorful map to Google office by post 🙂 see how amazing they are, @TraciC  and team yes it's on the way to your office now by mail 🙂

Kids preparing a map of Palugamam, Sri  LankaKids preparing a map of Palugamam, Sri LankaKids preparing a colorful map of Palugamam, Sri  LankaKids preparing a colorful map of Palugamam, Sri LankaKids writing their names backside of the mapKids writing their names backside of the map
Finally, they have drawn a real map for the first time in their life referring to Google maps and they gave me a BIG SMILE which made my day 🙂

with lots of happiness, we wound the meetup and there was a question from the kids when are you coming next. yes, I'm making a routine plan to visit them and I also said that I will be there soon 🙂

Kids showing the Thank you Google Map messageKids showing the Thank you Google Map messageBig selfie with kidsBig selfie with kids
Education is important to kids and especially we volunteers who are technologically able should teach new technologies to rural villagers, kids, youth to make them good in technology.
Sharing knowledge is bliss!

@RadieN here's my RECAP, hope you will like this 🙂
More photos, please check this album

Batticaloa, Sri Lanka
8 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: [RECAP] Google Maps towards Rural - July 2019

Hi @IlankovanT,

This post brought a huge smile on my face! The coloured map is so cute and the fact that it's made by the children with a good will, curiosity and inspiration makes it so precious. I hope all these kids have the technology facilities and the opportunity to become Local Guides when they grow up.

Thank you once again for devoting your time to organizing this unique meet-up! Greetings and big thanks to your wife and @Kajan746 who have joined you! 🙂

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Excellent initiative @IlankovanT !
Even if these children do not have the technological means at their disposal, I see them immediately ready and responsive to adapt your teachings with what they have available! Their creativity at that age has no equal and above all has no limits!
Good work as always dear Ilankovan, your constant commitment is to be taken as an example!

Have a good day with your family!

Bye,

David

Level 9

Thank you @RadieN Yes, my wish was also the same. Hope they'll get access to these technologies soon one day when they grow up 🙂

Level 9

You too have a great day 😊

Thanks @davidhyno ofcourse, it was a very nice experience to have these kids motivated towards technology..

Level 6

Thank you  @IlankovanT @IlankovanT  for taking me there. That was an awesome day. Hope to join in future too

Level 9

Thank you for joining this @Kajan746. we can go further towards many other rural destinations 😊

Connect Moderator

Another great recap post from a person who never feels tired.

@IlankovanT Bhai, you are doing great noble work to share your knowledge and educate people Specially our new generation about new technologies and specifically about local guides program. Really impressive and inspiring for me. And you know I m following your footsteps and read your posts to learn more, and than apply it in my country. 

Shukriya 🙏 and Nandri for your great work thushy bhai. 

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 9

Thank you so much for your kind words @KashifMisidia 🙂