IlankovanT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

[RECAP] Google Maps towards Rural - February 2019

I have initiated this theme "Google Map towards Rural" in September 2018 to take technology-related education towards rural areas and educating school kids and youth, I have taken Google Map and other free Google tools for this mission.

Google Maps towards Rural - Monthly MeetupGoogle Maps towards Rural - Monthly Meetup

Based on the need, I have selected schools and other public places where awareness on technology is lacking and I made my own map called "Google Map Towards Rural Marathon".

I'm already running my monthly accessibility meetup and on top of that, I have taken this as the second scheduled meetup from my list. Yes, the plan is to host similar meetups every month and educate people on Google Map and other free tools of Google.

This is my third meetup from the date I initiated and up to now, I have been enjoying teaching youth and kids on this theme.
In Sri Lanka, there were places with less access to technology and there is not many volunteers to educate school kids and youths on technology. I have taken this as a challenge to contribute to my community on what I have learned from Google Map and how this will be useful for our community.

Happy faces :) - School kids posing for selfieHappy faces 🙂 - School kids posing for selfie

During my last three visits school teachers and principals have told "mapping related education is needed for schools in order to know the basics of Maps and existing technologies" I was really happy after hearing those from these leaders.

This meetup was scheduled on Sunday 24th and a school teacher advised rescheduling this to Saturday since the kids will be busy with Sunday school (religious education) activities. So I rescheduled this to Saturday and went for this.

When I entered the school I could see many little faces and they were playing here and there and after seeing myself and @Meshanth  they came as a big flock, greeted us Good Morning and went inside the hall where the session was scheduled.

When I went inside the hall I got shocked! yes, there were no tables or chairs given for kids and all were on floors. I was asking the kids are you comfortable with this seating positions and everyone was telling, normally we sit like this and listen since there are no many chairs existing in the hall.
This school actually has limited access to facilities and there is were no computer labs in this school too.

School kids playing at their hallSchool kids playing at their hall

Nobody there knew much about computers and when I ask do you know Google they said yes!!!

Then I slowly jumped into the session and asked how did you know Google and what's that? they said it's a search engine (in Tamil), maps, can learn by searching a keyword and etc. but sadly they said they have heard of all these and not accessed and they didn't even know how a map looks like.
I started explaining Google maps and it's features, how to search a place you like to see, how to see places photos, 360's and how we can see a road with street view images and etc. 

how to see places photos, 360's and how we can see a road with street view imageshow to see places photos, 360's and how we can see a road with street view imageshow to see places photos, 360's and how we can see a road with street view imageshow to see places photos, 360's and how we can see a road with street view imageshow to see places photos, 360's and how we can see a road with street view imageshow to see places photos, 360's and how we can see a road with street view images

after teaching I was asking questions to them. and out of 100/100 they answered the question and I was really happy with this performance. Also, I asked few kids about the places they wish to locate on maps and some of them saw 360 images of their houses and were surprised. Some asked me to show the worlds best places through this Streetview. yes, I did and showed many places without getting tired.

My passion has always been, teaching technology to people talking about the environments too. yes, you got me right. It's about all my tree planting and plastic pollution activities. This time Meshanth undertook this plastic pollution topic and educated kids (@ErmesT  I'm sure you will be happy with Meshanth's work)

Local Guides Clean the world, Battle with plastic - Plastic pollutionLocal Guides Clean the world, Battle with plastic - Plastic pollutionLocal Guides Clean the world, Battle with plastic - Plastic pollutionLocal Guides Clean the world, Battle with plastic - Plastic pollution

As always, we filled our hearts with lot of satisfaction after this event and went home.

This will also be one of my monthly meetup which I have scheduled for 2019 entire year. Please check the below map and join us if you like to help on this "Google Maps towards Rural" theme. Let's hope for a better world.

Please click this link to view the meetup photo album

@DeniGu , @YasumiKikuchi  @NarenChandra as promised I'm sharing my RECAP with you all 🙂

Batticaloa, Sri Lanka
29 comments
Level 9

Re: [RECAP] Google Maps towards Rural - February 2019

Nice post!

Btw you did all that by yourself, @IlankovanT ?

Level 9

Thank you @iorikun301 

I'm running a monthly meetup on this theme and last time @Kajan746  joined me and this time @Meshanth joined.

More about my meetups please check this link 🙂

Connect Moderator

@IlankovanT  found something new and like as outside of our thinking. These young kids are very fortunate that they got you and got the importance of modern technology. Hope they will be another Ilankovan for the whole world and put their steps in every social development. 

Don't stop bro, carry on...

Happy Guiding!

Google Moderator

This is truly a fantastic recap, @IlankovanT

All the students look so curious and eager to learn. Did they ask you a lot of questions? What was the most memorable question they asked?

By the way, your photos are just amazing! 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

Thank you so much @ShafiulB. I love doing knowledge sharing sessions and especially teaching kids and youth. hope I will do more similar activities in future 🙂

Level 9

Thank you @DeniGu  🙂
I asked some questions and my favorite one was.. who marked places on maps? and they said Local Guides 🙂 🙂 🙂

and the second one was, who is capturing images from the sky and how it's showing on maps? they said "satellites and explained about remote sensing 🙂 

Level 8

Great work as always, @IlankovanT! Kudos 🙂

Former Google Contributor

Hi @IlankovanT,

I loved reading your post and I am happy to see that you bring light and to the young generation. I am sure that with the help of such activities the kids will grow up more curious by asking questions and willing to learn.

By inspiring them for learning more about the world we live today, they will undoubtedly grow strong interest in all the technologies and follow their own dreams!

Looking forward to seeing your future meetups! This was a great recap! 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Google Moderator

Amazing, @IlankovanT

Those students are really smart, and they'll make excellent Local Guides when they grow up. I'm sure that your knowledge sharing session will give them the right foundation for that. 🙂

Thank you again for this great initiative! You're shaping the new generation of Local Guides.