Tushar_Suradkar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

[RECAP] Accessible Delhi Episode 15 - Patel Chowk Metro Station

With the opening of metro rail services, the lockdown in Delhi has ended. People have started using the metro rails on a full scale. As part of this meetup, the Patel Chowk Metro station was visited and the following accessibility features were assessed:

1. Availability of ramps and elevators.
2. Accessibility of the elevators and toilets.
3. Availability of hand-rails, tactile paths, and extra-wide automatic flap-gates.
4. Availability of numbers and emergency call buttons in elevators in Braille and at a low height.
5. Audio-visual indications and signages at prominent public places.
6. Accessibility of the parking space.
7. Visual indicators in metro-train for the vision-impaired.
8. Audio Announcements inside the metro-train about station, arrival, and door opening side.

DA_Template_AE_01.png

This meetup was conducted as part of the Accessibility for All Movement

Here's an overview of the various accessibility features at the Patel Chowk Metro Station in Delhi.

✔️  The entry to the metro parking area is leveled with the road to ease the entry of a wheelchair.
  ✔️  Ramps are available from the parking towards the metro premises to ease the navigation of the differently-abled.
  ✔️  The parking area is entirely covered with concrete flooring and leveled to ease the movement of a wheelchair.  

✔️  Clear and large indications are available pointing towards accessible entry to the metro station.
  ✔️  The availability of an accessible elevator is also clearly indicated.
  ✔️  There is a ramp towards the elevator entry.
  ✔️  The ramp has handrails to aid the differently-abled.
  ✔️  The ramp also has a tactile path to aid the visually-challenged.
  ✔️  The elevator button has a Braille sign embossed.
  ✔️  The elevator floor when opened is leveled with the outside floor to ease the access of a wheelchair.
  ✔️  The elevator has buttons with Braille button to choose the floor, open, close, and emergency call.
  ✔️  The elevator has handrails to aid the differently-abled.

✔️  Inside the station are tactile paths present everywhere to aid the visually-challenged.
  ✔️  There are large displays to indicate various areas in prominent places.
  ✔️  Staircases inside the station have handrails to aid the differently-abled.

✔️  Directions to accessible toilets or washrooms are clearly indicated with large size displays.
  ✔️  Tactile paths are marked on the platform as well.
  ✔️  Wide flap gates are available to facilitate the entry of a wheelchair.
  ✔️  Floors are painted with clear signs with instructions written on them for easy noticing and reading.

BR,

Tushar Suradkar

Delhi, India

Delhi, India
5 comments
Level 8

Re: [RECAP] Accessible Delhi Episode 15 - Patel Chowk Metro Station

Thank you so much for this detailed Meetup recap, @Tushar_Suradkar bhai. I learnt many things about what to notice while contributing for accessibility in Google Maps. The photos are very informative too, bhai. 

Vellore Local Guides
Connect Moderator

Thank you @SalmaanN  for the appreciation.

Level 8

Great Recap and that's why you are an Accessibility Champion. You have given great review in view of accessibility. Thanks a ton for this efforts @Tushar_Suradkar . 

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Level 8

Congratulation for your successful meet-up  @Tushar_Suradkar .

Your recap post is so details that it will help new LGs to host a meet-up of wheelchair accessibility and to write a recap post also.

Best regards.

HappyGuiding

================================

Accessibility Champion- Kalyan Pal 

Level 8

Great @Tushar_Suradkar dada. You are always a champion for me.

I am planning to follow your activities and to start updating information on visually challenged people.

Can you please share the indicator image? (the person with a stick in hand with the blue background. Just like accessible one you shared with me). It will be really helpful.

Have a great day!