EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

My Heart has a Jet Lag!

Screenshot_20181030-120912.jpg Is it true that "Jet lag is for amateurs."

After the long trip from Nigeria to San Francisco via Dubai and vice versa, it never occurred to me that my heart and body would play tricks on me.

It's about 7hrs to Dubai from Lagos and 15hrs from Dubai to San Francisco. Approximately, a sum of 24hrs (one way) and 48hrs (return) trip!

The physical and chemical composition of my body may have witnessed some extreme reactions. Did the hormones secret too much or too little?Getting up was a Herculean task. Even the spirit was in slumber.

"I refer to jet lag as 'jet-psychosis - there's an old saying that the spirit cannot move faster than a camel."

For about four days, I was eating at 12 midnight and able to wake at 10am. It looked like the days were faster and I was slower, yet struggled with the brief trauma. Trance or Flux?

Caption: Onboard TV Screen showing flight time and distance to San FranciscoCaption: Onboard TV Screen showing flight time and distance to San Francisco

And I remembered that "it takes your sleeping self years to catch up to where you really are. ... when you go on a trip, in your dreams you will still be home. Then after you've come home you'll dream of where you were. It's a kind of jet lag of the consciousness."

Yes, different ideas, numerous experiences to help cure this temporary sickness:

"As soon as I reach my destination I have a cup of tea, something to eat and then sleep for about 13 hours. I make that an absolute rule and I always feel fresh afterwards and never have jet lag."

Still searching for the best treatment; "I'd love to get ideas on overcoming jet lag."

Meanwhile, my favourite quote about jet lag is definitely from Karen Marie Moning, she said "My heart has jet lag."

Yes, my heart has a jet lag because I am overwhelmingly happy for Connect Live 2018!

How did you feel after your trip and what's the best way to overcome jetlag, from your experience?

Caption: Photograph showing a Local Guide in an airplane wearing blue denim  jacket, glasses and headphoneCaption: Photograph showing a Local Guide in an airplane wearing blue denim jacket, glasses and headphone
Xoxo
Emeka

P.S I played with quotes here. 😊

#localguidesconnect #localguides 

Lagos, Nigeria
19 comments
Google Moderator

Re: My Heart has a Jet Lag!

Hey @EmekaUlor, very interesting post, thanks for sharing. I really like the sentence : "My heart has jet lag!".

As I remember from school, one of the main signals that help to regulate our body clocks is light, which helps us to reset our internal clocks each day to match the sun. To help your body clock reset to the new time zone, it's important to seek out and avoid light at the right times of day. If you're traveling east, you'll want to advance your body clock, so seeking morning light and avoiding late afternoon light will help your body clock adjust to your earlier time zone. If you're traveling west, you'd want to do the opposite.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

I know exactly what you mean @EmekaUlor

My heart (and body) have jet lag too......and I live here.  Flew nowhere.

Last week I found myself completely exhausted and couldn't quite pin it down.  Then I think back to the two weeks prior.  One leading up to the momentous week, filled with arrivals and greetings for friends new and old.  The excitement was building!  

Week of Connect Live starting officially on

I look back at those two weeks and am surprised I got any sleep!!!!  Can't wait to do it again!

I've linked the Google Photos albums with photos of all!  Hope you will enjoy the memories as much as I do!

~Kimmy~

I told all the newbies that this event would be life changing.  What I didn't realize is that it would continue to be so for me as well.

My heart is happy for all of the wonderful people I reconnected with or added to my circle of friends.  Now they've all gone home and it's sooooo quiet here.  Miss you guys, come back soon!

?Kimberly on Social ? Google Maps  ? Instagram ? Facebook ? Twitter ?️YouTube ?San Francisco Local Guides

Connect Moderator

@Ivi_Ge wow, I just learned a new one from you. Light.

I will keep that at the back of my head but I hope I get the East and West lighting right.

Cheers 

Connect Moderator

@KimberlyAnnG sure you understand.

I really admired your energy and patrotism. San Francisco should be proud of you. One thing I liked about you is your hair! Colourful as California

Thank you for taking time to give details and photo links.

Cheers

Level 10

Hello @EmekaUlor
As @KimberlyAnnG says, in addition to the influence of the airplane, it was an exciting party, so invisible overwork of several days not resting accumulated.

I have sleep problems due to PTSD caused by traffic accident several years ago, so I do not have stress even if I can not sleep. Here are some tips. We do not have to go to bed if you can not sleep (You can do add the place on the map all night as I do😂). When we become sleepy, we just sleep🛌

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Connect Moderator

Hey @YasumiKikuchi good to read from you. 

You are so funny, I guess we may need to continue mapping until sleep comes! You are energetic enough, so I won't doubt you being up all night 

How's Japan today?

Cheers bro.

Level 10

Hi @EmekaUlor

It's very peaceful today🗾

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Connect Moderator

Jet lag is the worse. I’ve been travelling my whole life and still can’t get used to it. I have recently realised that when I fly EAST, I get jet lag and it takes me about two weeks to adjust; but when I travel WEST I don’t get any jet lag at all.  I was so jet lagged in San Fran but I was also very excited and happy to meet all of my new Local Guide friends. 

Connect Moderator

These are indeed true feelings @EmekaUlor - its even worse when changing hemispheres. My general advice to minimise the impact (you can't stop it as you're messing with your body clock)

• drink a lot of water on the plane - if you're not getting up to pee at least every two hours you're not drinking enough
  • avoid alcohol on long flights
  • consume multi-vitamins and melatonin on the plane and each night before bed at your destination for the first few days and again when you get home
  • when you land, obey the local time zone immediately, avoid going to sleep early - get out and get active until bed time

As for how your heart feels, there's only one way to address that - continue to be an absolutely awesome Local Guide, get recognised by the team during the year in Maps and here in Connect so that you can go to Connect Live 2019 :).

Regards Paul