Ambreen's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

My Adventurous trip to Gulmarg Kashmir :)

Gulmarg Jammu and Kashmir PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local GuideGulmarg Jammu and Kashmir PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local Guide

Hello, Local Guides

Never say Never, was a note to self when I visited one of my most feared but always top on my wish list places GulmargJammu and Kashmir (India). I truly believe that for me this is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful places in the world and today I am sharing some exciting moments from my trip to Gulmarg 🙂

I don't think this one post is enough to really explain my entire experience but I will try my best to keep it short and as informative as I can.

About Gulmarg:

Gulmarg hill station is a popular skiing destination. The town is situated in the Pir Panjal Range in the western Himalayas. In the 17th Century when Mughal Emperor Jehangir visited Kashmir he said that “Gar firdaus bar-rue zamin ast, hami asto, hamin asto,hamin ast.” Meaning (“If there is a heaven on earth, it's here, it's here, it's here.”) and till date, this quote holds true for all the tourist who visit and get mesmerized by the beauty of this place. 

Gulmarg Jammu and Kashmir PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local GuideGulmarg Jammu and Kashmir PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local Guide

Mystic Snowclad Mountains, scenic beauty, mesmerizing views is how I had seen Gulmarg in Bollywood movies and it was exactly what I saw even in reality. I always wanted to go there, experience and perform famous Romantic Shahrukh Khan style Bollywood songs in the snow, which eventually I did 😄

My fears: 

• First of all, I couldn't imagine myself in -14 degree temperature, I wasn't even sure I will be able to breathe in that kind of temperature
  • Then I wasn't sure with all that snow around will we get any decent food to eat? 
  • With so much negative news on unrest in this area, I wasn’t sure what the actual condition was and will we be safe there? 
  • Then I couldn't think of a good reason that why are we shifting our business meeting to Gulmarg? To experience adventure sports?

To make our business meeting fun and adventurous, we planned this trip and can you believe it, learning a sport was part of our KRA. 😄

How to reach Gulmarg?View from the plane PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local GuideView from the plane PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local GuideSo without much choice then I packed my bags - mentally, physically, emotionally prepared myself for this trip, went to the Mumbai airport, met my colleagues and got on that plane (Mumbai – Delhi). 

I have travelled before to Indian and International Locations but this place, so close to the border was a first time thrilling experience for me. This place does have very high security. I was really excited about the journey ahead.  

To reach Gulmarg you can catch a flight from Delhi airport which is the sole departure point for flights to Srinagar. It takes about 1 hr 45 mins to reach Srinagar from Delhi and if you have a window seat, you will love the view of the Himalayas. It’s always better to pre-plan and book your packages in offseason to get the best rates. The journey from Srinagar airport till the hill station Gulmarg Kashmir is 60 kilometers by fully paved road. This is a (2 to 3 hours’ drive). 

My stay at Nedou’s Hotel: “Home away from Home” Nedou's Hotel  Gulmarg Kashmir PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8  Local GuideNedou's Hotel Gulmarg Kashmir PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local Guide

After crossing all the pine and fir forest and villages and after all that curiosity, excitement, and fear we finally reached our destination Nedou’s Hotel in Gulmarg 😄

This hotel is a historic location and was launched in 1800’s by its founder Micheal Adam Nedou. The hotel has hosted numerous dignitaries, royalties, future world leaders from across the globe. They had renowned visitors, from Mahatama Gandhi, Prime Minister Nehru, Mountbatten etc… to name a few.

When we visited the entire hotel was covered in this amazing white snow. The view from every corner of this hotel was just so magical. I had a big wide smile on my face when we reached the hotel. The temperature was freezing. We all were super excited, our inner child had suddenly woken up, we didn’t even bother about our luggage and just got out of the car, running in random direction speeding towards the snow, we instantly started playing, rolling and jumping in the snow.

Nedou's Hotel Gulmarg PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local GuideNedou's Hotel Gulmarg PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local Guide

The hotel staff was extremely sweet and helpful. We received such a great welcome and we were first taken in a warm main dining room space which was also the lobby area, we were given some warm water. The staff was too kind to take our jackets and place it near the Bukhari for us to dry up and get normal. Traditional Bukhari at Nedou's Hotel Gulmarg , PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local GuideTraditional Bukhari at Nedou's Hotel Gulmarg , PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local GuideFireplace at Nedou's Hotel Gulmarg PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local GuideFireplace at Nedou's Hotel Gulmarg PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local Guide

Food, Ambiance, Services, Staff, Rooms, Amenities & Facilities, Entertainment, Activities etc... the Hotel was 5*/5 experience in all the checklist. Prices are high here but since we booked in offseason we got good rate packages. 

Things to do in Gulmarg:

Gulmarg is the heartland of winter sports in India and rated as Asia's seventh best ski destination. Over the years Gulmarg attracts a large number of tourist. It also has Asia’s largest and world’s second largest cable car project called Gulmarg Gondola where it connects Gulmarg with Apharwat Mountain, from where one can ski down on a long snow-trail. Gulmarg is also known for its longest Golf Course in India.Dal Lake Srinagar PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local GuideDal Lake Srinagar PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local Guide

There are many places in Gulmarg for sightseeing and so many activities you can possibly do here like: Skiing (Visit Indian Institute of Skiing and Mountaineering), winter sports like skiing, tobogganing, snowboarding, and heli-skiing take place on the slopes of Mount Apharwat reachable by a Gondola lift. Trekking (April - November) There are so many limitless adventures in Gulmarg which begin from the three trekking trails- Alpather LakeKhilanmarg and Apharwat. Gulmarg (60km from Srinagar), from which treks can be made to Apharwat and Alpather, the upland lakes of Vishansar and Gangabal and the Thajiwas GlacierGulmarg Gondola Cable Car RideGulmarg Golf CourseGulmarg Wildlife SanctuaryGulmarg View Point (Halt here - Srinagar to Gulmarg route), Srinagar Dal Lake (before you start your trip to Gulmarg). Snowboarding in Gulmarg PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local GuideSnowboarding in Gulmarg PC: Ambreen Shaik...

We had so much fun playing in the snow and personally for me I even learned snowboarding, I did fell alot 😄 but there were instructors to teach me those little tips and techniques. Took me a few hours to actually even stand on that snowboard without any support. You can rent gears from local shops and get started.

Gulmarg - Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 local GuideGulmarg - Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 local GuideWeather & Best time to visit Gulmarg?Snowblower in Gulmarg PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local GuideSnowblower in Gulmarg PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local Guide

The weather is minimum – 8 degree Celsius approx from December till March. If you love adventure sports and wish to experience complete snowclad mountains then mid Jan to mid Feb is a recommended time to visit. Summer Season (April-June), Monsoon offSeason (July-September), Winter Season (October-March): Perfect for Skiing and adventure sports.

Food in Gulmarg: Food in Gulmarg PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local GuideFood in Gulmarg PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local Guide

The local Kashmiri food is very delicious. They have the best bakeries. Kashmiri’s just love feeding you and they are so loving and caring. We tried the local Nadru Chips, Goshtaba, Kashmiri Dum Aloo, Wazwan, the famous Kashmiri Qahwah, Kashmiri pickle was also delicious, the sheermal roti was yum, we also had so many items for Morning breakfast, aloo tikki, mushrooms, waffle, eggs, variety of breads, local apple jam etc… their street Maggie is a hit, I loved eating Maggie here and had lots of soup in that crazy climate. We usually ate at Nedou's hotel and there were many street food stalls around the hotel where you can try the local food. Nadru chips you can try in Srinagar. You also get continental and international cuisine.  

Is it safe to travel to Gulmarg?Near Indian Institute of Skiing & Mountaineering PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local GuideNear Indian Institute of Skiing & Mountaineering PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local Guide

Yes, it’s very safe to travel here if you have a local contact or know a local good family. Usually, there is no threat to the tourist, but you can get caught up in an unpleasant situation. It’s best to know a local tour guide or a friend, there is a lot of security in the area. But it’s very important to be aware of your surroundings.  (Learn more)

My little Snowman in Kashmir :D PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local GuideMy little Snowman in Kashmir 😄 PC: Ambreen Shaikh Level 8 Local Guide

Hope you enjoyed this post and found it helpful.

Overall I can only Thank God for making me experience this amazing place.

The best part was that I did overcome my fears. You can read more details about this beautiful place, about the local people, how to survive in freezing temperature? what are the things you must carry? etc... on my blog. 

#Gulmarg #letsguide #googlelocalguides #connectwritingchallenge 

Lot's of Love 

@Ambreen 

Blog | Instagram

Gulmarg
83 comments
Level 8

Re: My Adventurous trip to Gulmarg Kashmir :)

@Ambreenvery complete post. Regards!!

Level 8

@Ambreen seems that you had so much fun, even me I had fun by just reading your post. Do you have any idea about the prices?

Abdelrahman Ewis
Level 8

Thank you @Male2019  🙂

Regards

@Ambreen 

Blog | Instagram | Trip to Gulmarg 

Level 8

Thank you @Abdoado I am so glad you enjoyed reading it 🙂 

Oh yes so you can get tour packages online, Nedou's Hotel depending on your interest. The rates change for different seasons. We selected this hotel but there are many other hotels as well, they are all active on social media, you can even connect with them and check for the best rates. 🙂

Regards

@Ambreen 

Blog | Instagram

Level 8

@Ambreen I read your travel story, its a complete tour guide for travel gulmarg. Kashmir is one of my most favorite travel destination,  definitely one day I will go there and your information will help me.  Thank you for sharing.  

Level 8

Hi @Ambreen great post. Your pictures are beautiful, thanks for share with us. Best regards

Luciana Velasques Cervo
Brasil!| ospetsprecisamde! Blog
Level 10

What amazing post @Ambreen 

Very details explanation. You're good in a storytelling. Thank you for share us your great traveling experience. Keep it up. 

Level 8

@Ambreen Thank you for sharing this story with us. I agree with @Radjasitanggang that you are a good story teller. This post will be so useful for us who will visit Gulmarg in the future. So now you can do the snowboard!

Level 10

@Ambreen  The story is full of details and illustrates every aspect of the journey. I really enjoyed it. Thank you, I will share it with my group, Batu Local Guides, so that more members will be inspired.