Ivi_Ge's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Moderator

Meet Accessibility Champion, Penny

Caption: A photo of Penny Christie wearing a homemade Local Guides cape and holding a Local Guides flag in front of the Sydney Opera House in Sydney, Australia. (Local Guide @PennyChristie)Caption: A photo of Penny Christie wearing a homemade Local Guides cape and holding a Local Guides flag in front of the Sydney Opera House in Sydney, Australia. (Local Guide @PennyChristie)

Penny Christie (@PennyChristie ), a Local Guide Level 9 from Sydney, Australia, has been passionate about accessibility from a young age. She’s part of the #OneAccessibility team and she finds Google Maps to be one of the most useful apps. 

We caught up with Penny to learn more about her experience adding accessibility information to Maps. 

Why are you interested in accessibility?

When I was in high school, a new boy joined my art class and I noticed he had hearing aids. He informed me that he has been attending the school right from the beginning when I started. There was a hidden section of the school for hearing impaired children. After four years as a student, I had no idea it was even there. I became friends with the boy, who was partially deaf, and he told me that the school would integrate them into some of the mainstream classes during their senior years. I wanted to learn more, so I did a lot of research and wrote a huge assignment on the subject. Since then, I have always been on the lookout for accessible places and features everywhere I go. It opened my eyes and made me want to bring disability out of the shadows. Google Maps is the perfect tool for this.

What have you done to help add accessibility information or generate visibility for accessibility information to/for Google Maps?

When I am writing reviews on Google Maps, I make sure I have gathered as much accessibility information as I can about the places I visit. I take lots of photos of the place, inside and out. I check to see if there are ramps or elevators and I check for signs that might include braille or information on hearing loops.

Caption: A photo of Penny Christie posing in front of blue, red, green, and yellow balloons at  Google headquarters during Connect Live 2018. (Local Guide @PennyChristie)Caption: A photo of Penny Christie posing in front of blue, red, green, and yellow balloons at Google headquarters during Connect Live 2018. (Local Guide @PennyChristie)

What area (mobility, vision, hearing, etc.) are you most interested in improving?

I would really like to see all areas of accessibility improved. They are all as important as each other. I am super happy when I see ramps in unexpected places. My home town, Sydney, hosts a lot of outdoor events that involve walking through different spaces and exhibits. One of these annual events is called Vivid. Vivid is a nighttime spectacular when Sydney is lit up in the most amazing way through light and sounds. This year, I noticed ramps placed throughout the exhibition making it more accessible for those in wheelchairs. 

What do you wish other Local Guides knew about accessibility?

I wish other Local Guides would be more aware of the accessibility features in the places they visit and mention them in their reviews. These small details might make a huge difference in another person's life.

What's your tip for finding your passion through the Local Guides program?

Connect with other Local Guides on Connect and see what interests you. Join in on the conversation and you never know where it may lead.

Are there any posts on Connect or meet-ups you've hosted that help demonstrate your contributions around accessibility to Local Guides, Google Maps and your community?

I have posted a few articles on Connect about accessibility in my community and other countries I have visited. Here are some of those posts:

I have also hosted some Local Guides Meet-ups in Sydney, including a World Accessibility Walk.

Are you passionate about making Maps more inclusive? Tell us how you’re making a positive impact in the comments below.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Australia
42 comments
Level 10

Re: Meet Accessibility Champion, Penny

Congratulation  ❤️ @PennyChristie   . you doing awesome work keep it up  . 

@Ivi_Ge  thanks  a lot for share LG heros activity in there  

Mahabub Hasan
Google Moderator

Thank you to all of you @MahabubMunna! Keep doing it!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Connect Moderator

Thank you for interviewing me and posting this amazing feature @Ivi_Ge 

I am very honoured and humbled. 

Level 10

Hi @Ivi_Ge   

World Stroke Day 29 October 2019

Google Moderator

It was our pleasure @PennyChristie. We are happy to have you here. 

Connect Moderator

Many Congratulations to @PennyChristie A Super Local Guide, Fellow Member of #oneAccessibility team and now Accessibility Champion. 

You are doing amazing work for Humanity.

And thanks @Ivi_Ge  for sharing such a great article about One of my Favourite Local Guides on Connect.

Shukriya 🙏

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Connect Moderator

@PennyChristie Congratulations.  You are doing great! Keep Guiding for Accessibility! 

Happy Guiding!

Connect Moderator

Congratulations @PennyChristie , you're accessibility champions , ! Greatt job