hkrob's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Maintaining Free 1 TB of Storage Space beyond 2 years...

Hi there, my account is level 5 1,110 points on Local Guides.

According to this, maps.googleblog.com/2015/11/get-yo - my storage should be 1tb

But it isn't ... has this promotion ended? Do we need to do something manually to claim the bonus storage?

cheers

Hong Kong
6 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Maintaining Free 1 TB of Storage Space beyond 2 years...

@MadanKPradhan there was a newer Google 1 perk that included storage late in 2018 but that had to be redeemed in that time frame.

@hkrob there are no automatic perks. The main reward is helping other people with your reviews, edits and photos in the same way that you are helped by the same from other people. Being a Local Guide is an altruistic undertaking. Of course it strengthens the data held by Google and makes Maps a better product but that is still an advantage for the people who use the product.

When the program was smaller there were different perks to those that have been available lately. The growth of Local Guides has been meteoric going from a few hundred in the beginning to over 50 million active LG today. As you can imagine that number of people changes how perks can be managed because a welcome token like a T Shirt that perhaps costs $20 becomes a massive cost and undertaking when multiplied out by so many people. This means the perks have moved onto things that are electronic in nature (e.g. Google Play streaming Music was recently available) and are done with partners who offer things for LG's such as travel discounts which have also recently been offered.

When perks do become available in your area, you need to act on them usually within a short time frame to get them enabled for you. Make sure that in your Local Guides notifications that you have emails turned on visit https://maps.google.com/localguides/home/settings and tick the "Perks box"

perks.PNG

Regards Paul

View solution in original post

Level 9

Hie @hkrob ,

Google drive promotion ended over a year ago. You can find more information in below link, 

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Drive-storage-promotion-has-ended/m-p/63040...

Good day

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 7

Hello @hkrob & @deepakjhic 

The only perk that I know of and that was running was this Google Play one ( https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/New-perk-Google-Play-for-Local-Guides-Level... ) though unfortunately it's ended to.

And yea the free storage ended over a year ago ( close to 2 years ago ).

Level 9

Hi @hkrob,

As @deepakjhic the promotion has already ended back in 2017.

To get notification about future perks please do check the settings in Local Guide Setting page

flagnepal acetreks.gif  - Nepal | YouTube
Connect Moderator
Solution

@MadanKPradhan there was a newer Google 1 perk that included storage late in 2018 but that had to be redeemed in that time frame.

@hkrob there are no automatic perks. The main reward is helping other people with your reviews, edits and photos in the same way that you are helped by the same from other people. Being a Local Guide is an altruistic undertaking. Of course it strengthens the data held by Google and makes Maps a better product but that is still an advantage for the people who use the product.

When the program was smaller there were different perks to those that have been available lately. The growth of Local Guides has been meteoric going from a few hundred in the beginning to over 50 million active LG today. As you can imagine that number of people changes how perks can be managed because a welcome token like a T Shirt that perhaps costs $20 becomes a massive cost and undertaking when multiplied out by so many people. This means the perks have moved onto things that are electronic in nature (e.g. Google Play streaming Music was recently available) and are done with partners who offer things for LG's such as travel discounts which have also recently been offered.

When perks do become available in your area, you need to act on them usually within a short time frame to get them enabled for you. Make sure that in your Local Guides notifications that you have emails turned on visit https://maps.google.com/localguides/home/settings and tick the "Perks box"

perks.PNG

Regards Paul

Level 9

Hi @PaulPavlinovich

I think you are talking about Google One, which I didn't get 😞

Was referring to the specific link @hkrob posted 🙂

flagnepal acetreks.gif  - Nepal | YouTube
Connect Moderator

Well, yes @MadanKPradhan that would be the reason I called it the Google 1 Perk in my post 🙂

Most people still refer to that as a storage perk because Google 1 is probably the best kept non secret out there and a lot of people don't realise it gives them so much more than storage.