cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Introduction and experience with Local Guides

(updated: 26th of April, 2018)
Hello everyone!

My name is Andras Herceg, from Gödöllő, Hungary. Working as a Software QA Engineer, paraglider pilot and father of an amazing little toddler.

2017-04-02_13-48-09_DSC_8238-1.jpg

I'm more then 10+ years ago a Google fanatic, an Android user since 2009 started with G1. I loved the former services: Reader, Buzz, Wave, Panoramio, Picasa, Map Maker, Latitude, iGoogle, Mytracks. Currently I am using most of the Google products in desktop, in Chrome and the apps on Android.

android-pad.png

In the elementary school one of my favorite subject was geography, because of the School had even 4-5 meter huge canvas maps and also big globes. I loved to study them. Around 20 years ago I created paper based maps by exploring with a bike my neighborhood which was a small village (1000 people lived there). Then 10 years ago at the University I discovered the Google Earth, which was an unbelievable experience. Then, at nights I checked random places with Street View for hours. Map Maker was the next station in my "mapping life" so when the Local Guides was introduced it was obvious that I will participate in the program.

I love flying because it offers an experience of complete freedom, pure joy and gorgeous view to the Earth. Paragliding is the simplest way to experience the miracle of flying. During my flights I always amazed how breath-taking our Earth is. I am using for my preparation and later after landing for analyzing my flights the Google Earth. A lot of my aerial photos are available on the Google Maps. I had a chance to use a htc vive with Google Earth - so I could do a "pre-flight" before the real paragliding flight for preparation - that is just amazing.
MonacoMonaco Kobala Paragliding Take Off, Julian Alps, SloveniaKobala Paragliding Take Off, Julian Alps, Slovenia Soca Valley, Julian Alps, SloveniaSoca Valley, Julian Alps, Slovenia
I am the editor of the Hungarian paragliding take-off places map, which is created with Google My Maps. It has 500+ markers or lines with detailed descriptions! I'm continuously discovering new take-off places and document, then add them to the Map. In Hungary there are only couple of hundreds paragliders, but this map has more than 150 000 views, because almost all of the pilots are using it.

starthelyek.png

My another hobby is photography. For me capturing the moment is more than just pressing the button on the camera. If I have an photo idea, then I choose the place, the time and the appropriate weather carefully. My favorite areas are the long, night and multiple exposure techniques, however I also love taking pictures about the nature, both from the ground and from the air. 

Multiple exposure star trail with ISS flyover (2h 40mins duration) Balatonlelle, Hungary, 2013Multiple exposure star trail with ISS flyover (2h 40mins duration) Balatonlelle, Hungary, 2013 60 minutes multiple exposure thunderstorms over Gödöllő, Hungary, 201660 minutes multiple exposure thunderstorms over Gödöllő, Hungary, 2016
I am a Street View Trusted Photographer. As a Local Guide I have uploaded 1800+ photos / panoramas which have 7,3 M views currently. (Hungary is a small Country has only 10 million citizens) I wrote 500+ looong reviews. I added my first reviews and photos to the Google Maps more than 7 years ago!

2012-05-30_23-26-02-first-reviews.png

The LG Summit 2017 was incredible, we had pre- and after activities with the "Yosemite-Team" and with another attendees. (visiting Yosemite National Park - two days, Muir Woods National Monument - one day hike, The Sailing in the San Francisco Bay Meetup by Karen) here is my recap. and here is my photos about those days. And here it is another recap: A local Local Guide guiding a Local Guide [Recap] #LGsummit2017 - Part 5 (By Andras)The "Yosemite Team"The "Yosemite Team"

I was the organizer of the first Hungarian Local Guide Meet-up in Gödöllő, which is a beautiful small historical city only a couple of miles from the capital, Budapest. It was a great experience and an exciting map editing walk. Since then, I organized meetups in several Hungarian cities, for example in Budapest (World Wide PhotoWalk Budapest), Fot (photo walk) and Godollo (2nd one) with my wife, @Fructy 🙂

foter.png

I am also a cat owner, road biker, runner, solo guitarist, traveler, hiker and I love reading. But about these, maybe next time 🙂
Gödöllő, Magyarország
31 comments
Level 10

Re: Introduction and experience with Local Guides

Great photos and experience @Andras_H! I'm pretty sure you will get your ticket! Now I'm curious to see if I can find my first review in maps

Connect Moderator

Hi @Andras_H, amazing pictures! Loved them all. 

You are a paraglider!!! That's so cool! I have always been dreaming of flying, not with any instructor or a co pilot. I did skydiving once, that was one of the craziest things I have ever done in my life. Loved it like anything. But I so wish I could do that alone! It must be really fun flying from so high all by yourself. 

All the best for the summit! I can see you won the ticket already. 😛

Good luck, man!

Sonia

Level 8

Hi @LucioV, thank you, I am happy that you liked it. It would be an honor to be one of the lucky ones to get the chance to meet you guys.

But first I have to finish my 1 minute video, because it is not yet done.. 😄

You can find your first review by scrolling down on your reviews section until the bottom 🙂

Hi @SoniaK, thank you for your nice words!

I would say, if you liked the skydiving you would probably also like the paraglinding:) However this is a different style of flying (less speed, but more airtime, more control, more relaxed, I think) During learning, relatively soon you can reach a state, when you can fly alone from learning hills. When you are alone with your wing at 2000+ m high at cloudbase, you see everything a little bit different with an endless calm:) That is priceless.

Let me know if you start to learn it with a paragliding school 🙂

Level 8

Great photos and experience @AndrasH!

good luck. hope i will be lucky enough to meet you in person during summit 

Level 8

Hi @NalinK, thank you!

That would be great, good luck!

Connect Moderator

I don't know when exactly I can start learning paragliding, they don't teach it here, in my country. But I will let you know when I do. And just by reading the small description from your post and seeing the photos, I am more eager to learn now. One day, sure. 🙂

@Andras_H

Level 8

@SoniaK Are you sure that there are not any? 🙂 It should be at least one, I think. Where are you from?

Connect Moderator

Yes @Andras_H, there is none as yet. But some centers are planning to open up soon, though nobody knows really when is that. May be @MahabubMunna or @YOUSUFMSEDDAT could tell better.

I am from Dhaka, Bangladesh. 

Level 8

@SoniaK, I see.

Unfortunately this paragliding word map has not any take off places listed in Bangladesh. However this map is not the most detailed one, but provides a high level word-wide overview.

So it can be that there are a couple of places. At the other side your land needs to be discovered for flying sites:)

Based on the Google Earth Bangladesh is pretty flat land. In this case there is another option without hills, called paragliding winch. Here you can check one of my winch start