AriMar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Editor

How to write a great post for Connect Live 2019

Caption: A graphic that shows a man in a wheelchair using a computer and a woman on her phone. Between them are buildings, trees, leaves, mountains, a text box, and a framed image of a hill on a sunny day. “Connect Live 2019” is written in the top right corner.Caption: A graphic that shows a man in a wheelchair using a computer and a woman on her phone. Between them are buildings, trees, leaves, mountains, a text box, and a framed image of a hill on a sunny day. “Connect Live 2019” is written in the top right corner.

This November, we’re excited to invite 200 Local Guides to join us for Connect Live 2019. The event will give some of our top creators the chance to share tips with other inspiring Local Guides and meet the people behind your favorite features. Applications will open on March 4 and a key part of the process is sharing a post about yourself right here on Connect.

This year’s prompt is:

Tell us what you love sharing most on Google Maps and why. Whether you’re passionate about finding the world’s best French fries or making the map more eco-friendly, we want to know about it!

For example, your Connect post could be about how you like to add small businesses to the map, review the best dessert spots in your area, or answer questions about accessibility. 

Connect Live 2019 will be delivered entirely in English to best serve our global community. While we usually encourage you to use any language you prefer on Connect, we ask that all Connect Live 2019 application posts are written in English.

Here’s a few tips for writing a great Connect Live 2019 application post in response.

1. Choose a fun and descriptive title

Your title should help others understand what your post is about, but it should also inspire them to want to click and learn more. For example, the title “Why I love to review onion rings” is much more attention-grabbing than the title “About me.”

2. Be specific

Give us details! Instead of just writing that you love to review restaurants, tell us about your favorite types of restaurants to review. If you love photography, share some shots you’re proud to have taken and the stories behind them.

3. Tell a story

There’s no required length for this post, but it should tell a story with a clear beginning, middle, and end. It doesn’t have to be very long, but the best posts will tell readers about your unique experiences with Local Guides.  

4. Don’t forget to explain the “why”

We don’t just want to know what you love to share—we also want to know why you love to share it. Are you passionate about sharing accessibility information because your best friend uses a wheelchair? Did becoming a parent make you realize how important it is to find restrooms with changing tables? Do you love snapping photos of tacos because they’re your favorite food? Add context to your post. Tell us why sharing this content is important to you.

5. Include great photos—and tell us about them

Great photos will help your post stand out and allow us to learn more about the things you’re passionate about. Your Connect post is another opportunity to share some of the best shots you’ve contributed on Google Maps with us. Be sure to only include photos you've taken yourself and don’t forget to include captions.

6. Keep it relevant

For your Connect Live 2019 application post, we want to learn more about what you love to share on Maps. Before you submit, review your post and make sure that it effectively responds to the prompt.

7. Select the Local Stories topic

Publish your post under Local Stories and link to it in your application.

Interested in applying? Visit the official Connect Live 2019 application site for more information.

463 comments
Level 10

Re: How to write a great post for Connect Live 2019

Thanks @AriMar  this is a very helpful post for first time applicants like me, even though I am in this local guides program for more than two years now . May be I was not applying for the fear of not getting selected but this time I will break the tie and give a shot . What ever the result it is , it's not going to stop me helping the community in every possible way I can . Come on local guide let's guide the world . 

Level 8

Hi @AriMar

Your post is very useful for all the applicants of upcoming Connect Live 2019. 

Thanks for sharing with us with details information. 

Thanks again. 

#LetsGuide

#LocalGuides | #LetsGuide | #Bangladesh |#BangladeshLocalGuides | #SoundOfBeautifulBangladesh
Level 10

Thanks a lot foe share with us  connect live connect post made essay 🙂 @AriMar 

Mahabub Hasan
Level 10

Thanks @AriMar for your valuable advice! Explained in a detailed and clear way! I hope they are scrupulously implemented by everyone, to make every Connect Live 2019 application post perfect!

Good luck friends!

Bye,

David

Connect Moderator

Thank you for sharing these nice tips! @AriMar 

Connect Moderator

@AriMar , these are great writing tips for not only for creating our Connect Live 2019 posts, but also, in general, to write interesting-to-read, relevant posts here on Connect year round. 

Cheers,

Karen

Level 10

Good tips and very helpful for me. Thanks @AriMar 

Level 8

Thank u @AriMar for this useful and very important info, above all for us that will apply for the first time. 😊👍👏 #localguides #connectlive2019

Level 9

Thanks @AriMar for your helpful tips about how to write a great post for Connect Live 2019.