MortenCopenhagen's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: Hidden Reviews? Read this.

Very interesting & informative post as usual @MortenCopenhagen , I must admit that by your post and comments by fantastic local guides and Connect Moderators here gave me great new knowledge.

Thanks for starting such a fruitful series of posts. 

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 10

Hello @MortenCopenhagen,
The first thing that struck me about your post was the photo with your teeth exposed. Having worked for 41 years in the dental field, as a secretary, assistant and dental hygienist, it was like asking for a dental visit. Of course I'm joking. I am now happily retired.
I only recently discovered, just meeting local guides that I have more or less 100's of hidden reviews. I don't know why, but I know that I had to learn a lot about the use of technology first of all, Google regulations, and other thing... I'm sure I was wrong without knowing it. I don't think there is always intentionality, sometimes you are superficial because you are tired, or you are convinced that you are doing everything correctly.
However, I filled out the form to check my reviews again. I know you don't agree with showing the errors, but I confess that I'd be very curious to know which ones have been blocked. In the meantime, I'll try not to underestimate any detail, hoping to do everything correctly.

I'm sorry if the text may seem unclear to you. I often use google translate and I notice that it is often wrong too.

Connect Moderator

Hi @DENIT33

I think your username could be related to your former job?

In my childhood the school dentist believed wrongly to use the drill on anything remotely relevant! I now enjoy traveling to get my teeth worked on abroad at more reasonable prices as mentioned here. Maybe Cuba could be next 😂😜.

Your English is better than mine. 

The Google Maps rules are not always intuitive so we really need to read them carefully if we intend to follow all of them. 

Are you asking for help to identify your hidden reviews? If you want to identify which of your reviews are hidden please see this post.

All the best 
Morten

Level 10

Hello, @MortenCopenhagen 

Your summary is in line with many guides who are facing difficulties. Some users may find this useful.

However, Google does not judge good quality. If they judge it, it's control of free speech. Google does not hide it for control.

It is great that we have our own high ideals, but there are no controls to enlighten them. Of course, we don't do that either.

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Level 10

Hello @MortenCopenhagen ,

Thanks for writing an interesting article.

Do you have empirical data to support the credibility of the checklist you listed at the top of your article?
Or is it a collection of ideological opinions about the "ideal review" you dream of?

Above means that reviews that pass your checklist are never invisible, and are you sure that the AI will properly filter out reviews that fail your checklist?
Without such experiments, your checklist is just common sense.

Of course, I also think that it is important to enlighten common sense.
So please show the fact that if the review follows that checklist, it won't be hidden.
Connect Moderator

Hi @potaro67

The source of the two first lists are clearly stated in the text. List one simply consists of the headings found in this Google help document. No interpretation from my hand what soever.

The second list are direct citations from the same same document reordered by me to reflect common review violations. 

Not much dreaming there.

The Tips document is was added recently by Google as part of a much needed improvement/revision of the guidelines. 

As also mentioned in my post the later and long list is based more on interpretations. 

Kindly take a look at the tips document and let me know what discrepancies you find and I will be happy to make nessesary corrections. 

Cheers 

Morten 

Connect Moderator

@potaro67

I forgot to address:

Does it... mean that reviews that pass your checklist are never invisible, and are you sure that the AI will properly filter out reviews that fail your checklist?

Of cause not in the current situation where reviews get hidden randomly. Under normal circumstances the 2 lists are as close to the best guidance you can get. The guidance is not something normative I made up as explained above. 

And of cause noone can guarantee the spam filter will filter one to one according to the guidelines. It has never been so. 

Reading and knowing the guidelines is the first and probable best first step to not get hit by the spam filter. 

Cheers

Morten 

Level 10

Hi, @MortenCopenhagen 

Thank you for your explanation.
I can see the basis for your argument.
So if we follow your guidelines, won't our reviews be invisible?

I am skeptical of that standard.
I know that Google wants to build an AI that behaves according to such standards.
But now, many good and helpful reviews are hidden because of the many anomalies in its behavior.

The current problem is not in the sentences written by the user. It is based on Google's incomplete and unstable processing.

- -

I fully agree with the criteria you have provided.
However, it is not possible to avoid current troubles just by following them.
And I'm sure the users reading your article are already following the standards you set out.
What users who have taken the time to write reviews that have been deleted do not want a lecture on how to write.
We are eager to see Google's AI do the right thing.
Level 10

My name is Deni and the T is the first letter of me surname, ah ah @MortenCopenhagen 
Cuba is a wonderful country to visit and their healthcare seems to be of a good standard but in general be careful when going abroad to get your teeth fixed.

In my experience the large dental clinic promotes more than necessary. I prefer conservative care instead of replacing it with a new capsule or implants.

They love doing implants because they earn a lot and the customer thinks it's the best solution and that it lasts forever, it's not true.

If you need any help related to your teeth to make the decision what to do, you can ask me anytime.

Have a nice day

Level 10

You're right @potaro67 

Arguments for guidelines that give moral hints need to be prudent.

We would innocently undermine the dedicated contributions of many Local Guides if we did not proceed with the discussion with more respect for others.

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper