SanyaOdare's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Happy World Oceans Day!

World Oceans DayWorld Oceans Day

Today is World Oceans Day and the theme for this year is Eliminating Plastic Pollution In The Ocean. Globally, people are making commitment to different activities to reduce their plastic footprint, such as avoiding cosmetics with microbeads or not using plastic shopping bags. I also learnt that Twenty governments have joined the campaign with ambitious action plans. The following are some facts about the current state of our oceans:

• 7-8,000,000 tons of plastics leak into the ocean - each year.
  • About 40% of world oceans are heavily affected by human activities, pollution, depleted fisheries & loss of coastal habitats
  • 60 - 90% of marine litter is made up different plastic polymers
  • Almost half of all sea turtles and 90% of all sea birds have ingested plastic at almost the same rate as actual food.

World Oceans Day - Let's Act NowWorld Oceans Day - Let's Act Now

Here are few things we can do differently

• Let's reach out to our friends, persuade them to reduce using plastic bags for shopping and opt for recycled materials instead.
  • Consciously avoid cosmetics with microbeads
  • Opt for glass or steel straws instead of those made of plastics which are unnecessary - most of times.
  • As Local Guides, let's find time to organise meet-ups that will be for cleanups of beaches or river banks in our local community.

Happy World Oceans Day!Happy World Oceans Day!

Happy World Oceans Day!

Nigeria
43 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
Solution

Re: Happy World Oceans Day!

Happy world ocean day @SanyaOdare

I try to share the awareness about the ocean , no sea in Amman the near one is the died sea , very salty no life inside

The big waste sourse for ocean is the huge large ship transport , and the cities waste that go to oceans...

I believe , governments are responsible to spread the awareness and to motivate people and companies by incentive or penalties....

View solution in original post

Level 10

Here's wishing @TraciC@HelloJess@U-royFelixA@KarenVChin@LucioV@ErmesT@OSAMA@HelloSamsonR@IlankovanT, BishowvijayaP and the entire Local Guides Connect family a Happy World Oceans Day!

Level 9
Solution

I try to share the awareness about the ocean , no sea in Amman the near one is the died sea , very salty no life inside

The big waste sourse for ocean is the huge large ship transport , and the cities waste that go to oceans...

I believe , governments are responsible to spread the awareness and to motivate people and companies by incentive or penalties....

Level 10

Thanks sanya I can imagine that in your country is not easy to get public attention on ocean pollution theme. 

Level 8

@SanyaOdare 

Happy World Ocean Day ♥️

Level 10

@OSAMA, I hope you don't mind sharing with me what you intend to do differently in order to save our oceans?

@OSAMA wrote:

Level 10

Yes @LucioV, but as Local Guides we will do our bits and engage our governments, corporate entities, manufacturers, etc more to get a buy-in.

@LucioV wrote:

Thanks sanya I can imagine that in your country is not easy to get public attention on ocean pollution theme. 

Level 10

I wish you same @Umashankar!

@Umashankar wrote:

@SanyaOdare 

Happy World Ocean Day ♥️

Level 10

@SanyaOdare Happy world ocean day to you too. And to everyone in the world. 

@NarenChandra come and see how we celebrate world ocean day in Nigeria. 

Level 10

@HelloSamsonR you guys are marvelous , i feel nothing can stop you guys .

@SanyaOdare as always you lived up to the day.

Congrats guys, Happy world Ocean day , lets have some ocean food , LOL !