PaulPavlinovich's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: HOWTO: Answer questions in a warm welcoming way

Thanks so much for the guide! I'm new to Local Guides Connect and appreciate the educational pieces that are posted here! 🙂

Cheers!

Level 7

Great experience.

Level 6

@PaulPavlinovich

Thank you so much for this great & helpful post

Connect Moderator

HI @Imploconsultancy I guess you mean the questions on Maps, I'm mostly referring to the questions on Local Guides Connect in this post, but I'm happy to answer your question. 

I can certainly tell you what I do when you get notified about a question on Maps. I open it up and if it is a place that I know well I can probably just answer it, but if I do not know the answer and I've got some time I'll do a bit of Googling to see if I can find the answer. If I can I will post the answer and a link to the place where I found it. I usually take a look at other people's answers too and flag any that are incorrect or inappropriate.

Many people seem to think that Questions are a channel between them and the business, but unless the business is claimed then the owner will not likely ever see the question. They probably don't even know they get them. 

When I visit a business I like to try new places when I have the time, if I find questions on the place I'll show the manager or owner and explain how to claim their business so that they can answer them.

Regards Paul

Connect Moderator

Thanks @Jordmate you're welcome to stalk me :).

I'm glad you found the reviews helpful.

Regards Paul

Connect Moderator

Ah the endless race to the Solution @SoniaK it's good that you mention that. The only solution worth being marked in green is a good considerate and correct one. I often review the solutions of existing posts here on Connect and often move the solution marker to the most appropriate answer so being first doesn't really help when we moderators are around :).

Regards Paul

Connect Moderator

You're right, it is wonderful to share other people's experiences @Gen, that is one of the best parts of organising a global photowalk - I get to see fresh images from people I can talk to from all over the world. Together we make our little blue and green ball in space seem a little smaller.

Regards Paul

Level 10

Hi @PaulPavlinovich

Excellent advice thanks @PaulPavlinovich and @TraciC for the 5 tips. Plus thanks also for reminding us how lucky we are that everyone is always helping each other here in Local Guides Connect, and everywhere on the internet. It is so important to remember these tips here plus there is Google Maps Local Guides Connect members everywhere, all willing to help and give a hand in any way they can! We are never alone! Staying positive and uplifting in attitude and actions is the best way in every circumstance!

Thank you for the help tips too and all the information as follows all being about not only this topic of HOWTO: Answer questions in a warm welcoming way. Plus also general very important ways that we all know must and does apply to all we do- 

The code of conduct for Google Members is found in the Terms and The Google members Code of Conduct applies everywhere, at official and unofficial events of every kind. It is simple, easy to follow and so true!  And thanks again also Paul and Traci for showing we can also get Help and

Tips for Guides there too. 

Local Guides Terms and Conditions all found at the base of the Google Maps Local Guides Home Page

Great work living legends! Shine on diamonds, we are the same with our very own shine, every diamond different. Make a difference and reach out whenever you can, even if others do not understand, take it as they are where you were and need a little kind advice from those who do know! Plus always know and acknowledge they have skills you are not aware of, so they can help you too.

Always treat others with respect. That is our human way, be kind and share happiness.It is easy being kind. Things always work out better with kindness. Even when you are in a position you feel is not right, follow the rules, be kind and remember that everybody is just doing their best for their community and every member here is a volunteer

Thank you again @PaulPavlinovich and all the Local Guides Connect Moderators and Googlers plus thanks to every Local Guide Connect member here. We all know there is no "I" in Team! This is such an amazing Google Maps Local Guides Connect Family team working together to make it right by caring and sharing information that will make a difference to many people!  

Best wishes

@Justine2807

@PaulPavlinovich wrote:

Helping each otherHelping each other

The image used in this post is a cartoonised image of mine of two athletes helping each other in an tough obstacle race. Watching two people help each other is always a wonderful experience for the person outside the conversation, it is even more rewarding both for the person needing help and the person who is giving. Local Guides is all about giving and supporting each other.

Do you like helping people? Do you often reply to posts here on Connect? It is awesome to try and help people and I absolutely encourage every single Local Guide to do so, do it every day.

Here are a few guidelines that you might find helpful.

1. Live the Five Core Values of Connect in every response every time
  2. It isn't a race - nothing is gained by being the first person to respond to someone's post - it's better to be a bit slower with a considered and valuable response - the original poster will thank you and is more likely to give you kudos and perhaps mark your answer as a solution
  3. If the post has content you don't like or you feel is wrong or inappropriate then a gentle word is much more likely to get a positive outcome than an argumentative one - if its really bad then hit the three dots and Report Inappropriate Content so a moderator can take care of it
  4. @Include the persons name in an @Mention and restate their issue to show that you do understand it before you try and answer
  5. Rather than include steps to do something - talk in general terms of what should be done and always include a link to a relevant article. Both Google Support and Connect Helpdesk articles are good sources. This is because the various Maps applications change often, the help articles will always be brought up to date but steps and screenshots can become out of date quickly - look how many people read old articles and get angry because they can't get free storage because the response they read is out of date
  6. Try not to fall into the one size fits all macro based answer trap - I (and the other Moderators) use reply Macros a lot, but after popping the Macro we customise the text to ensure that the answer addresses the person, restates their issue, then answers their issue. There is little point in giving 80% of an answer in an unfriendly way.

I hope people find this helpful. If you find someone who is not living the core values in their replies, feel free to give them a friendly nudge to read this post.

Level 8

A snap of a local coffee shop sign here I Melboure Victoria AustraliaA snap of a local coffee shop sign here I Melboure Victoria AustraliaGreat to read your inspiring words  @Justine2807 I love the positivity and energy we all bring to the Connect platform; creating connections, friendships, aquatinted Local Guides and acknowledging each other’s input. The picture attached reminds me of how many new friends we find on this platform and the day we may catch up in person will bring an opportunity to share a coffee as we do here “rigorously” drinking it in Melbourne. 

All ll the best wishes,

Richard @Jordmate 

Cheers
Richard
Level 10

Hi @Jordmate

Wow. Thank you for your kindness. Your wonderful reply is that uplifting amazing caring that is evident in every post here on Local Guides Connect. I am so thankful for yours and every Local Guides Connect members genuine interest and friendships that we all form here. Hahaha and yes I think that coffee drinking is something we all do, here in Sydney too, and everywhere ... lol plus a little chai late never goes astray, always with friends makes it taste better either way! 

It is unique as you say, and definitely reflects in the Google Maps reviews plus sharing information from Google Maps with directions also. It is an excellent feeling to assist our local businesses as well as creating extended notifications about tourist landmarks in our Local communities. And then as we travel around the world the caring and sharing is worldwide!

The best thing is that that feeling is multiplied from the results of all the products and services from Google Maps, plus all the Google Teams. To know that with our actions, by simply using and sharing the brilliance of Google Maps developers we are helping others to realise how much easier it is for everyone to do so and make life easier all round.

Google Maps Local Guides connect is so extraordinairy in helping us help so many people and by doing so connect and make incredible friendships too. Congratulations to both @PaulPavlinovich and @Briggs outstanding Aussies for having their posts both featured on Anzac day. Many thanks to @KarenVChin for caring and sharing LGC SF style! 

Thank you also for reaching out here today shortening the distance between Melbourne and Sydney with the shortest distance between two people being a smile! (lol via Phyliss Diller) Thank you for making me smile! 😉

I am sure we will catch up soon! ( Wouldnt it be great if it were in San Francisco at Pauls SF 36 walk! An Aussie coffee meetup with all our new LGC friends and Google Maps reviews at the nearest "StarBucks" for Connect Live 2018!!) 

Keep smiling! It's catching! 

Shine on champion!  

Best wishes

@Justine2807