EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Google Maps and Data Collection

I  was last to go for breakfast...just saw this pix. Credit: SMC,PAUI was last to go for breakfast...just saw this pix. Credit: SMC,PAU

Data Collection is popular around the world, especially in governance, research and development. Data collection is a systematic way of gathering and measuring information. It is vital for research in all fields of study. There are different methods of collecting data. All of us may not know that we are already active data collectors!

Last week was all about learning new skills and meeting people. The week ended with the a climax - The Lagos Local Guides Forum (I will write my experience soon).

my mini laptop with Google stickermy mini laptop with Google sticker

It was a great opportunity for me to be invited to attend a special training for selected journalists and stringers at the prestigious Lagos Business School; Partly for my activities as a Local Guide.

Topics on open data, open contracting, data collection, data cleaning and field surveys sounded tough. I didn't expect to see anything more or less. It was almost irksome for me being a dork. I's speedy in thought.

20180503_153628.jpg

On the last day which was mainly practicals, things got more digital and viola!

The facilitator detailed how the entire Lagos Metropolitan City was mapped by Google Street View in 2016. He requested participants to use the photos and 360 degree images for their assignments. Alas, I was taking half of the class on Google Mapping and adding reviews! Change map views to satellite imagery for accuracy. Of course, I introduced some to Local Guides proramme.

Voila! Google Applications for data collectionVoila! Google Applications for data collectionGoogle Street View as a tool for data collectionGoogle Street View as a tool for data collection

Well, how could I miss adding photos and reviews about this institution? Some great paintings and artworks they have got here. I was looking out for accessibility trails. On being green - they've got an A+.

An art freak, they've got some here tooAn art freak, they've got some here tooI was looking out for this. Accessibility compliantI was looking out for this. Accessibility compliantGreen!Green!Accessbile walks, traffic signs and pitchAccessbile walks, traffic signs and pitch

Although this training was intense and jam-packed with knowledge. The dialogue with facilitators and Government officials brought a new angle to it. Exchange of ideas, expectations and commitment to make the system work for good.

Gov official, Facilitators and Participants. Credit: SMC,PAUGov official, Facilitators and Participants. Credit: SMC,PAUI am opened to learning about other Google tools useful for data collection and open data! Does anyone want to share some work or experience with other Google tools aside Maps and Street View?

@ErmesT@OSAMA@KarenVChin @PaulPavlinovich @Anonymous @HelloJess @Julien44 @U-royFelixA @SanyaOdare

xoxo

Emeka

Lagos, Nigeria
9 comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Google Maps and Data Collection

Wow @EmekaUlor, u must felt really proud that you where a part of that event!

There are a lot of Google tools that I use, for example Webmaster tool, Analytics, Ads, bunch of them.

Simply we can't imagine modern day life without Google!!! ☺️☺️

Level 9

Very proud of you @EmekaUlor ,

AMAAAAZING 🏆🏅🎉👍🎉

Connect Moderator

@OSAMA

Thank you. Yes, actually there's a lot of responsibility ahead 🙂

Connect Moderator

Hello @Anonymous

Yes, I felt some joy! It came with some responsibilities too. I thought about Civil Engineering when I heard "Open Contracting".

Truly, we cannot do without Google tools in this contemporary era.

Thank you.

Connect Moderator

Looks like you went to a productive and highly educational event.

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

Looks like an interesting class @EmekaUlor glad you found it useful. I've used a number of Google data collectors with my blog, the analytics are quite interesting of where and when people read my blog. I've taken part in CrowdSource from time to time (it's an Android App where you identify what is in a picture).

Regards Paul

Level 8

Interesting...I can imagine how excited you were when Google came on on the slides. Beautiful review. Great work @EmekaUlor

Connect Moderator

@KarenVChin

Yes, it was quite educative and practiacal too. Thanks

Connect Moderator

@pwanaduku I was really excited. Like I was the only person who understood the whole google thing instantly.☺

Thanks