iyudhi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: General Tips & Etiquette for Foreign Travelers in Japan

Hi @iyudhi
Japanese knowledge as your foreign traveler may be more detailed than Japanese!

Based on that, I also want to share some information.

Today, walking in escalators in Japan is argued as moral.
Therefore, while keeping the alignment order, walking is not desirable.
The moving walkway is an exception.

Knowing the temperament of the Japanese, you will realize a more dense journey.
Japanese culture is extremely sensitive to others.

We are educated quite severely not to throw garbage, to line up in the queue, to quiet by train.
It is not necessarily all done from kindness.
In other words, when people find violators, there is the possibility of condemnation.
But even so gentle to foreigners.

The way of thinking about Japanese privacy and portrait rights is severe.
Although it is troublesome, it is desirable to blur all the faces of others who appear in the picture.
But gradually becoming tolerant.
Until recently indoor shooting and photo publication have been undesirable as moral, but photographing permission at the restaurant is increasing now.
I am taking pictures with permission from the shop. In many cases, shopkeepers will respond to friendly!

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Level 9

Hi Sir @iyudhi I really love to travel and tourism around the world. I always I mean everyday I read about Japan and Japanese people, even now after reading your very informative and helpful post I am little more interested to visit Japan. Thank you sir for sharing your experience about Japan. 

Connect Moderator

Is it true, that you don't pay tips in Japan?

Please mention me with @LudwigGermany on your reply, so I get notified

Connect Moderator   Maps   Instagram   Twitter 

Connect Moderator

@LudwigGermany That is correct. When you're eating in a restaurant, the price you see is what you pay.

Connect Moderator

@YasumiKikuchi I know I'm a few years late, but thanks for sharing your thoughts. The privacy for taking photos and videos in public is definitely important for us Local Guides.

Level 10

Hello @LudwigGermany 

Tip did not develop in Japan in the past. Modern Japan adopted British culture, so of course Tip was imported, but it did not take root. Therefore, it is not necessary even now.

Hello @iyudhi 

Yes, I would also like to be cautious. Today Japan is a little more tolerant than before.

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Connect Moderator

Very handy post @iyudhi thank you for taking the time and thank you @YasumiKikuchi for adding additional information.

Paul