Sheetal_RS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Fall Colors - Door County, Wisconsin

It is currently Fall in Midwest USA, and I made a short trip to see some gorgeous fall colors. This year, I visited Door County in Wisconsin and the colors were magnificent!

Where

The initial plan was to drive up to Door County and stay overnight, but decided against it as the number of new COVID cases have been increasing steadily in Wisconsin. Finally, I decided to leave early morning and return the same day. Door County is located just over 4 hours north of Chicago, and is often referred to as the “Cape Cod of the Midwest”. With the waters of Green Bay on one side and Lake Michigan on the other, it is known for its picturesque coastal towns, cherry and apple orchards, pristine beaches, rugged rock formations and many lighthouses and state parks. The drive to Door County was particularly beautiful, seeing so many fall colors along the way.

What to see

This being a day trip, I picked a total of 4 spots that I could cover in a day and return home. 

1. Peninsula State Park

This state park was my top place to visit, to see the fall colors. The pictures do no justice to the beauty I witnessed there. Driving through the park was a memorable experience, seeing stunning fall colors. I also stopped along a few panoramic overlook points, from where one could see the fall colors against the backdrop of Lake Michigan. There are many campsites, a lighthouse, beaches and picnic spots along the entire park. Admission fees cost $13, if coming from out-of-state, else it is $10 for in-state.

Beautiful fall colorsBeautiful fall colors

penin 2.jpg

penin 3.jpg

Fall colors  with backdrop of Lake MichiganFall colors with backdrop of Lake Michigan

2.  Cave Point County Park

This is a park featuring underwater caves, hiking trails and limestone cliffs along the scenic Lake Michigan. Since it is a county park, the admission is free. The stone found here have been carved out by centuries of violent waves crashing on their shore. The waves crash to this day, often reaching very high. Those interested in water sports can certainly kayak or scuba dive, and see the underwater caves.

Underwater caves formed underneath these rocksUnderwater caves formed underneath these rocks

cave 2.jpg

cave 3.jpg

Panoramic shotPanoramic shot

3. Gill’s Rock towards Northport

There’s a famous stretch in Door County on Hwy 42, driving through Gill’s Rock towards Northport, a picture of whom most travel sites feature. It’s a curving road framed by a sea of fall colors in reds, oranges and yellows. This road is extremely popular among the photographers, many of whom I did see that day, trying to get the perfect shot!

The famous curving road in Door County!The famous curving road in Door County!

4. Ellison Bay Bluff County Park

A mini detour off Hwy 42 will take you to Ellison Bay Bluff County Park. There’s a short staircase down that takes you to the overlook, and the views of the deep fall colors combined with views of Green Bay is truly splendid! The sun was going down as I made my way here and it made for a spectacular sight!

Panoramic shot of Green Bay from the overlook in Ellison BayPanoramic shot of Green Bay from the overlook in Ellison Bay

elli 3.jpg

elli.jpg

Where to Eat

Lunch was a fabulous experience at Al Johnson’s Swedish Restaurant, which is a family owned place. It is known for its Swedish cuisine, as well as for the goats that live on its roof (yes, you read that right!). The goats go on the roof, typically from late May through mid-October. I did not see the goats that day, as I went late October, but I hope to come back in the summer someday and see it. I tried their Swedish pancakes with lingonberries and it was amazing! My husband tried their Beyond Meat Veggie Burger, and liked it as well. Their Swedish meatballs are an extremely popular item on their menu. I highly recommend stopping by, if you’re in this area.

al 1.jpg

Exterior of Al Johnson's (See the sod roof?)Exterior of Al Johnson's (See the sod roof?)

Swedish Pancakes with Lingonberries, butter & SyrupSwedish Pancakes with Lingonberries, butter & Syrup

After lunch, I walked around the Sister Bay Marina, which is right opposite Al Johnson’s, just taking in the beautiful view.

View from Sister Bay MarinaView from Sister Bay Marina

After exploring all of these places, I made my way home and it felt totally worth it to drive over 10 hours all day, to see the fall colors!

Sturgeon Bay, WI, USA
34 comments
Level 7

Re: Fall Colors - Door County, Wisconsin

Wow!! Beautiful pictures and the landscape is spectacular. The fall colours are really bright too. I've never experienced fall but I always find the pictures breathtaking. I would love to experience this beautiful sight someday when I get the chance. Thanks for posting them

Level 6

Hi @Sheetal_RS 

Fall season is indeed beautiful. I'm living in a tropical country where there are only two seasons, so it is special for me to see the fall colors. Thanks for sharing 😊

Level 7

Thank you @Lawlaw! It was indeed beautiful. I hope you do get to experience it soon. 🙂

Level 7

Thank you @Lusianaa! I know what you mean. I grew up in India, which has a tropical climate too. Fall is indeed a special time for me as well. 🙂

Connect Moderator

Level 7

Yes, it is! Thanks @Sophia_Cambodia 🙂

Level 5

kapan yah bisa kluar negri org.... pasti ongkos nya besar sekali

Level 9

@Sheetal_RS Nice photos you have there. Yes indeed fall color is here. I have never really explored Wisconsin very much. Do you live in WI? I am your neighbor from Michigan.

#LocalGuidesUSA ~ Accessibility Champion ~ Guiding Star 2021 

Connect Moderator

This post is amazing @Sheetal_RS , so thanks to @Giu_DiB for the great choice, and for the highlight on Friday Favourite 

Autumn is a season that I love, and I like to walk in the woods for taking photos..

Caption: Birch trunks covered with moss in the forest in Autumn - photo @ermestCaption: Birch trunks covered with moss in the forest in Autumn - photo @ErmesT

I love the full sets of information added in the post.

The only tip that i can give you is to add the links to Google Maps (e.g. Peninsula State Park), as it will make easy for us to to explore and (why not?) set some of the place in your list as a destination.

Talking about lists: have you also created a list in Google maps about these places? I am sure many would be interested in following your list. If you haven't, this article will help you: Create a list of places