UbongZeal's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Ekpo ( masquerades ) Rites of passage

Told you guys I'll be sharing lots of photos about where I come from. Now I'm back again, after a while with new photos and story about our culture. In Akwa Ibom where I'm from, there's a cultural group known as Ekpo (masquerades) These sect are always arrayed with flamboyant colors, with different masks shapes and colors. They are always accompanied with drummers. Their cultural festival period usually falls during October, November, and sometimes December. Ekpo festival is usually characterized by singing, dancing, and machete fight. During ekpo festivity period, women and children aren't permitted to stay close to the masquerades. Even some men are restricted to go close to akai ekpo (masquerades forest) except those that were initiated into the ekpo masquerade cult. Today I was privilege to witness the masquerades performing rites of passage for their fallen colleague. Enjoy the photos, and tell me what you think.
Ubong

Mbiabong Market II, By Shelter Afrique, Oron Road, Uyo, Nigeria
1 comment
Connect Moderator

Re: Ekpo ( masquerades ) Rites of passage

Wow, @UbongZeal

Welcome back with this beautiful post. You are making me very curious about Ekpo. Does every mask have a different meaning? Can you give us some more information about the "rites of passages"?

I love the photos and the colours. Do you have an album to share in Google Photos?

Ermes