CaptainHook's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Don't go to Prague

I mean it. It's full of tourists. And those are disappointed anyways.

The situation is unbearable so I decided to start this serie of articles giving all the good reasons why to avoid Prague when travelling.

Before we start and get more into detail, let me list just the most obvious arguments:

• If you want to discover Eastern Europe, go to the real Eastern Europe. The most Eastern thing in Prague are russian matrioshka puppets sold in shops run mostly by Asians. - they have no relation to Prague what so ever.
  • If you like good beer you can come but you'll be disappointed by low variety. The common production is fine. But you should know that the most famous brand is actually German.
  • If you want to see the set up of the Amadeus movie, I'm sorry to tell you it was entirely made up by the film makers.
  • If all you know about the country is that Havel was its president, I have a bad message for you. He's dead.
  • If you want to breath in the atmosphere of Kafka's books, set an appointment with your practitian soon after. First you're probably masochist, second, it's in deed possible to feel like Kafka wanted his readers to feel - after just one night walk through neons of lousy bars and crowds of drunken tourists on dirty sidewalks and streets colonized by sloppy taxi drivers, you'll have an authentic sensation of being slammed in the head with an axe.

And the romantic pictures of the blackened silhoutes of towers in the mysterious mist over water? That's smog. Both. The "mist" and the dark colour of the monuments. The latter is being removed now slowly. I'll let you know when it's done...

26 comments
Level 8

Re: Don't go to Prague

Hi @CaptainHook

Interesting. Thanks for sharing your views.

Cheers

Level 5

@Badruddeen Ti si moj heroj. Sve sto napišeš je jako zanimljivo

Level 7

Dear @CaptainHook

As far I know Prague has it's own ancient history, aren't they ?

Regards 

Level 8

Hi @Dontcry43

Thanks 🙂

Cheers

Connect Moderator

Hahaha @CaptainHook

It seems that I can do copy / paste of your post, replacing Prague with Venice. LOL

Ermes

Connect Moderator

Sorry @CaptainHook, but I don’t agree with you.

What you write is not wrong, but the appraisal is always a matter of view. I lived one year in Prague myself (during the week) like a commuter and I found so many nice places.

Their are other nice places in Czech like Cesky Krumlov, Spindleruv Mlyn, Zlaty Hory... Yes, but this does not mean that Prague is not worth a trip. 

And anyway, in every place were people live together in freedom is to discover something beautiful.

Mnoho pozdravu from the one, who like your country and the capital. 

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 8

In deed. Every place has its own history. But the history of the most of the places is not interesting and the history of many others got washed away. Prague is not either of these cases but you'll have to dig into it these days as it gets slowly covered with rubbish.

@Mowsumi_Parvin wrote:

Dear @CaptainHook

As far I know Prague has it's own ancient history, aren't they ?

Regards 

Level 8

Yeah, exactly @ErmesT:D, just change Havel to Marco Polo or Casanova.

Funnily enough, we were discussing this similarity with a friend of mine just a week ago...

@ErmesT wrote:

Hahaha @CaptainHook

It seems that I can do copy / paste of your post, replacing Prague with Venice. LOL

Ermes

Level 9

Thank you sir for Informing us, very useful information @CaptainHook