JanVanHaver's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Don't forget the truly local

On a sunny Saturday afternoon - as we have just had here in Belgium - how can one not go out on a local guide trip? One of the difficulties for more experienced local guides is that everything close to you has already been covered in previous trips, so that means having to travel a bit to get to a previously unexplored area. 

A snackbar that did not have a category or picture until a few hours before writing this postA snackbar that did not have a category or picture until a few hours before writing this post

But hang on, are you sure everything close to you has been covered? When I started looking on the map, preparing for today's trip, it turned that one very nearby village had so far managed to escape my scrutiny. And the result was wonderful: I was able to add 6 places (a 7th one is pending), make lots of name/category/pin corrections and ad a lot of pictures - in quite a few cases the first one for that POI (which makes me hope a little bit more that my suggestion to give double points for the 1st photo will still get additional votes [hint, hint] & then get picked up by the Google team)

So my tip of the day: take a good, careful look in the area around you... perhaps there's a village/block/area that is just screaming for local guide attention!

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
4 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Don't forget the truly local

How not to agree with you @JanVanHaver

7 places in one shot is amazing, yesterday I was only able to add three new places. 🙂

Sometime we simply don't pay attention, thinking that places that we see everyday are in Maps for sure. A double check will always reveal some interesting surprise

Former Google Contributor

Hi @JanVanHaver,

Thanks for sharing this amazing place with us. Could you please tell where is it in Belgium if someone wants to visit?

I`m impressed about the photo.

Thank you for your idea also, as the voting is open please be patient.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Google Moderator Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Sure, @Petra_M, the place is in a village called 'Waasmunster' which is close to where I live

https://goo.gl/maps/DZC48bipjxA2

I'm quite sure that they will be extremely surprised should someone from another country show up there informing them that they found the place this way 😆

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Connect Moderator

Couldn't agree more, @JanVanHaver - especially being a Guide in larger cities where it seems things may remain consistent all the time, I still happen to find new discoveries within the areas I've already visited and perhaps reviewed and photograph. Being a Local Guide for a few years now has only allowed me to dig even deeper naturally. Sometimes my friends find it a bit bothersome, just until we find an awesome discovery right under their noses haha. Great post!

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall