cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

[DEEP JAPAN] Did you know "Shinto"?

DSC01335.jpg

On the unusual culture of Shintoism which is concept not religion

Apparently it seems to be different from general religion… I want to solve that mystery🤔.

The representative faith in Japan is Shinto. "神社 Jin-ja (Shinto shrines)" that are also popular as tourist destinations are of Shinto.

_EPS1823.jpg

There is no specific founder in Shinto😮. Therefore, We do not know when it began. Indigenous faith in various parts of Japan, different faiths, and faith enshrining the royal family, became a single religion called Shinto for a long time. Shintoism does not necessarily mean the worship of the Japanese royal family. Many values of overseas culture have also been influenced, and recently it is strongly influenced by Buddhism🏯. Some researchers say there is also an influence of the Old Testament🤔.

DSC06059.jpg

(It is a world heritage 'Uji-kami shrine' in existing Japan's oldest shrine building)

What is the doctrine of the shrine?

The function of the shrine is faith and an education and training center for everyday life👩‍🏫. In the past when people were illiterate a lot, people wore general education by visiting shrines📚.

• Honor the elders, parents, ancestors
  • To clean the body
  • Greeting by lowering your head
  • Carefully handle public things
  • Replace old ones with new ones
  • Just like honoring God, treasure everything

Mainly these education can be acquired by visiting behavior. Especially "Just like honoring God, treasure everything" is the root of Shinto doctrine🔍.

IMG_7635.jpg

("Ise shrine" where the supreme Goddess of Japan "天照大御神 (Amaterasu)" lives. This shrine is rebuilt to a new construction once every 20 years.. This is a very valuable photo of the next day when goddess moved to a new shrine. Since Japan is an agricultural country, the status of women was high.)

DSC00854.jpg

What is God's myriad meaning?  

Shinto says that the number of God is 8 million. This is called "八百万の神 (Yao-yorozu no kami)" in Japanese. In fact, "8 million" is not a quantity. This means "myriad". Surprisingly the number of gods is not enough 8 million😮😲!!

DSC00827.jpg

To teach Japanese natural faith, it seems that God lives in "all objects" and "all intangible". Yes, you are a God for me. On the one hand I am a God for you. Of course the family and the ancestors are God, but your child is also your God👨‍👩‍👧‍👦👩‍👩‍👦. The local guide is God. Googler also God. Not only Steve Jobs but also Sundar Pichai CEO is God🧓🧔!!

DSC01506.jpg

We have found at least 7.5 billion gods. But that is not enough. There is a God in your house, in the car you ride, in the Google Pixel you have🏡🚗📱. There is also one grain soybean you eat today. Also in the water in your cup🥗🥛. Even if you use excellent Google AI, you can not take these statistics....... Huh? What did you say? God exists in that Google AI😮? Does the Google Map program also have a God? Are there also reviews and photos posted by the Local Guide😲?? Oh my gosh...….

DSC05386.jpg

This is the natural faith of Japan, you can learn at the shrine without belonging to Shinto. In other words "Did you treat all of them carefully?"

DSC01308.jpg

Why are not we believers in Shinto?
What do you mean? After all, do not believe it…? According to the official document, Shinto believers are estimated to be 85 million in 2017. But this number is ambiguous. Because most Japanese do not declare Shinto faith. As a generalistic national character, Japanese do not like belonging to religion. Because religion was abused by politics and religious war occurred in the past history. There had been cases of unscrupulous business laws and disastrous incidents using religion. They tend not to like religion as an organization. It is said that we do not take the method of faith because we receive strong education of natural faith from the moment of birth. Because there is no concept of faith, Shinto accepts Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, other religious people, and does not manage them. It would be most tolerant to infidels👩🎅👸🧓🧔. They can say that they rationally evolved primitive animism to the present while avoiding the possibility that religion is abused🤔.

The most important day for modern Shinto is "New Year's Day". Let's talk next year. Have a happy new year!👋

[DEEP JAPAN] Worships the first sunrise in Japan's Happy New Year🌅

[DEEP JAPAN] Why is New Year the most important day for Japanese people?

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

日本、三重県伊勢市宇治館町1 伊勢神宮
72 comments
Google Moderator

Re: [DEEP JAPAN] Did you know "Shinto"?

Thank you for this amazing post @YasumiKikuchi and Merry Christmas!

I really love to read and watch every photos! I was studying about Shinto at the university and it was very interesting to me. As I remembered Shinto means "the way of the gods", does not have a founder nor does it have sacred scriptures like the sutras or the Bible, right?

By the way, I would like to share one photo with you from an important Shinto shrine in southern Kyoto, Fushimi Inari Shrine (伏見稲荷大社). I hope you will like it! 

Caption: A photo of me in front of the Senbon Torii ("thousands of torii gates"), Fushimi Inari taking during my trip in Kyoto, Japan. (Local Guide @Ivi_Ge)Caption: A photo of me in front of the Senbon Torii ("thousands of torii gates"), Fushimi Inari taking during my trip in Kyoto, Japan. (Local Guide @Ivi_Ge)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Thank you for the wonderful picture of Torii @Ivi_Ge👍 It is a composition with depth and size😃

For foreigners, is that "千本鳥居 Senbon Torii (One thousand torii)" like a photograph of a Kyoto trip proved photos?📸

As you learned in university, "惟神道 Kan-nagara no michi (the way of the gods)" is the doctrine of Shinto. Even though there was no country yet, the level of culture was low and everyone was unable to control their destiny. At that time it may be natural that the teaching "just follow your destiny" developed. Modern we can control our way to some extent. On the other hand, if we can not do that, we may be hurt our heart. The way of God may tell us the principle🤔

I will make a special feature of Fushimi-Inari shrine next year

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage

Google Moderator

Yes, you are right @YasumiKikuchi. In my opinion, this is like a mission to take a photo there!

I am looking forward to your special post about Fushimi-Inari shrine

Have a Happy New Year!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

Absolutely fascinating post @YasumiKikuchi!  I remember learning just a little bit about the different religions in Japan, Shinto being one of them. I always found it rather interesting but we were never given the depth of detail information that you give.  🤓

Looking forward to your next installment!  😊

?Kimberly on Social ? Google Maps  ? Instagram ? Facebook ? Twitter ?️YouTube ?San Francisco Local Guides

Level 10

Hello @KimberlyAnnG
I am glad that you like Japan very much😃 Japanese beliefs are extremely unique, often sometimes referred to as "people without faith". In fact it might have built different values ​​because of strong faith🔍

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dot.: [DEEP JAPAN] Did you know "Shinto"?

Witaj @YasumiKikuchi to jest piękne co napisałeś...kultura Twojego kraju jest fascynująca.Pozdrawiam cię i życzę wszystkiego najlepszego w Nowym Roku - Danuta

Level 10

My dear friend @YasumiKikuchi,

Very interesting... Excellent body of the post  vibrantly colored photos  well suited for the exploration...

You look to be a good orator - Congrats!! GOD almighty bless you.. If time permits  can I humbly request you to TAG me  in your future posts  please  ? Most regardfully ... 

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Connect Moderator

Thank you @YasumiKikuchi for the great informative, learning and amazing post.

Before I heard and read about Shintoism, but today many concepts are clear in my mind about Shintoism.

Thanks and Happy New year to you too my friend.

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 10

@YasumiKikuchi very informative for me. So you & me are Gods too..wonderful! Your posts are so interesting.