InaS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Vendor

Challenge: Share a food and drink video on Google Maps to earn a Connect badge

Caption: A GIF showing a hand taking a video of a dish, with a salad on the side and decorative Local Guides stars floating around.Caption: A GIF showing a hand taking a video of a dish, with a salad on the side and decorative Local Guides stars floating around.

Update 10/16/2023: Hi everyone, this challenge has ended. Thank you for your great submissions! Please allow us some time to go through all the videos and announce the results. If you couldn't join the challenge this time, don't worry; more opportunities are coming up!

Update 10/13/2023: Hi everyone, thank you for your submissions so far! We’re seeing some wonderfully helpful — and mouth-watering — videos.

• You can create a direct link to your video only on a computer. To do so, follow the instructions in our post below, or try these steps (thank you for putting this together, @TravellerG!). Additionally, please use a computer if you want to see what videos fellow Local Guides have shared in their challenge entries.
  • If your contributions do not appear publicly on Google Maps, you can submit this form to have your account checked and policy-abiding contributions reinstated.
  • Also, please note that only videos shared on Google Maps after the start of the challenge will be considered.

Finally, thank you to every Local Guide who has been helping and guiding others in the comments section. You’re incredible!

Are you someone who enjoys exploring great places to eat and drink? Do you like to capture your experience on video to share on Google Maps? Then this challenge is for you!

Recently, we made it easier to discover an area with the addition of videos in the Explore tab. Videos are a wonderful way to immerse yourself in the vibe of a place and find out if that coffee shop down the street is the right fit for you.

To inspire your creativity, we’re kicking off a new food and drink community challenge; here is your chance to earn a shiny Connect badge. A special shoutout to Local Guides @Mikeinthefalls and @PattyBlack for their ideas to have a challenge around videos and food!

The challenge

1. Create a video of an actual experience you had at a restaurant or cafe.
  2. Upload your video on Google Maps via the ‘Add a post’ button in the Explore tab* or directly from the place's page.
  3. Share a link to your video in the comments below.
  4. Tell us why your video is helpful or what you like about it.

*Available on Android, with iOS coming soon!

To share a link to your video, open Google Maps on your computer. In the top left, click on the hamburger menu and select Your contributions. Choose Photos, find the video you want to share, and click on it. In the top right, click the three dots and then Share. Copy the link and paste it in your comment!

Caption: A collage of two screenshots showing how to share a link to a video on Maps: open the video, click on the three dots in the top right, and choose Share (top); click on Copy link in the window that opens (bottom).Caption: A collage of two screenshots showing how to share a link to a video on Maps: open the video, click on the three dots in the top right, and choose Share (top); click on Copy link in the window that opens (bottom).

Video criteria

• Your video should be helpful to or inspire others to visit the place.
  • Ensure to shoot portrait/vertically on your phone.
  • You can submit one video entry up to 30 seconds long, but we recommend keeping it under 10 seconds long — this is usually most useful to other users. You’re welcome to share more videos to the place on Google Maps, but you should only nominate one video for this challenge.
  • Be engaging — share your thoughts about your surroundings, dish, or cup of coffee.
  • Convey the vibe of the place and/or provide helpful details that can’t be provided through static photos or text.
  • Only videos that are good quality and follow the Maps content policies will be considered.

Find some great tips on how to create helpful and engaging videos in Guiding Star @AZ_2021’s post “Food and Drink: Features to Film Videos for Google Maps.” For more insight into what makes a good video for Google Maps, check out the Q&A with Googler Masa.

The winners

The Google Maps video team will review the entries! Everyone whose video follows the criteria above will receive a Connect challenge badge. Winners will be announced in a new post.

Join this challenge by October 15. Share your Google Maps video in the comments below for a chance to win a Connect badge!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
596 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Challenge: Share a food and drink video on Google Maps to earn a Connect badge

Wow, this is really great challenge for foodie Local Guides. 

I will surely share my video on map. 

Thank you for sharing this challenge @InaS 

@FalguniP @Pratik_89 @Rohan10 @Shrut19 @ajitthite @ I'm sure you like this challenge.

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 8

Re: Challenge: Share a food and drink video on Google Maps to earn a Connect badge

@InaS 

It's an exciting challenge recently I visited 2 different cities an took pics and videos will surely post soon.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Regards Tejal 

Level 10

Very nice challenge, dear Googler @InaS.

Very meaningful challenge too. 

And for your kind information, I already have a Pub video which has more than 384,000 views.

It is really interesting to study the pattern of videos at different destinations.

Assure you that I shall try my best to bring some clip to life soon.

Thanks for this opportunity.

Greetings from Bangalore, India.

TG

🙏🙏‌.

EDIT:

Though I could find a video (out of 1089 total video contributions) with over 134,000 views, I couldn't locate the one with 384,000 views on a quick search to publish the link... I'm sorry about that. I shall search again.

🙏

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 7

Thank you for sharing this challenge @InaS 

Level 8

I will definitely try this challenge @InaS 

shailendraOjha

▶️
GoogleGuide_shailen13

Connect Moderator

Wow, 384,000 views 😲

That's really amazing @TravellerG 👏

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 9

Very interesting challenge and I will check my already submitted videos else will get a new one shortly @InaS .

Thanks for tagging @NareshDarji Bhai, surely an exciting one, will go for it.

Cheers!

| Ajit Thite | “Collect moments, not things” – Aarti Khurana |
My Latest posts :- | A Photo Challenge of the Roses: Nature's Masterpieces | Unusual, strange siting challenge: I noticed a plane parked next to the highway! ‌ |
Level 10

Namaskar,

@InaS Thank you for this challenge,

@NareshDarji 

yes Bhai I will like to participate for this challenge, Thanks for Tagged..

Connect Moderator

Awesome!! This is truly a challenge, and I love it.

Thank you @InaS and team!

I just posted my video: Video in Las Cuartetas (edit: apparently the sharing link that the app gives for the video doesn't work right, but you can check it on my profile: https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/101260227370224362606/)

This is my favorite pizzería in Buenos Aires, it's in a street and area with many pizzerías with the most authentic Buenos Aires-style pizza: Thick crust and LOTS of cheese. This challenge was a nice excuse to go again. 

My video is a compilation of other videos, to showcase more aspects of the place. Here's how I tried to make it helpful:

• Showing the front, so people know how it looks now.
  • Including the step-free entrance with the door opening automatically, so that they know it's accessible.
  • Showing as much as it's space as I could so that they see it's easy to move around, and help people understand the layout of the place as much as possible, and how big it is.
  • Adding text with contrast to make the main points clear, including accessibility, space, kinds of products offered, and how we eat Fainá - which is something we always put on top of our pizza, and tourists have to try it.
  • Keeping the original sound on all videos, so people can understand that part of the ambiance too to help them decide if they are comfortable with that level of background noise. I know that can be a big point for people with hearing disabilities and neurodiverse people as well.