EdwinOfNorthumbria's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Cant mark POI as duplicate

I have an issue I can't find any information on how to solve but apologies if it's out there somewhere and I'm asking a redundant question. The problem is as follows:

There are two pins for the same POI, one of which allows edits and the other doesn't AT ALL. The one which can't be edited is what I want to remove as it is less precise than the other and if I delete the latter then (i) some significant information is going to be lost; and (ii) I won't be able to add missing details to it (as these are incomplete).

I was alerted to this as someone had been trying to look up the website of the POI and when I checked GM found that a very subtle change in the search terms used led to one pin or the other being suggested. What I need to do is mark the one which can't be edited as a duplicate of the other but GM won't let me do this. Has any one any suggestions how to resolve this conundrum??

The two pins are can be found here and here, the first being the one I want to remove by marking it as a duplicate of the second.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice.

Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
3 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Cant mark POI as duplicate

Hi @EdwinOfNorthumbria,

As it looks like the second link that you have shared is a listing created by a Local Guide and the legit St Ann's Church is the one which you want to close as duplicate and this is why Google Maps doesn't let you do it. For more questions or issues that you may have about Google Earth, it's better to post them on Google Maps & Earth Help forum. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

Many thanks for the reply. I thought it might be something like that but am not sure how to resolve the issue because I don't want to mark the LG pin as a duplicate given that the official one has virtually no useful information associated with it. I'll ask for suggestions on the GM forum now I know what the issue is.

Level 10

@EdwinOfNorthumbria This post below will give some background about the issue. Read the specific post by Flash on the first page which is linked in the post below.

It's a case about polygons and points. There's also a recommendation on what to do in the same post.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Adding-a-Place-When-It-Already-Exists-in-Si...