Devilgorgor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Can I add website on my Google account name?

I got letter of warning yesterday about this matter, I’ve been using this google name about five years with no problem until I turned on Google SV trusted to solve the problem of maps rejected photo, post few question then all the sudden I got letter of warning.  Please beware that website is under Google domains and forward to my photo album http://www.devilgorgor.com 

and same website address listed on google SV Street Views. Search: Cary, North Carolina. My name and website on it. Nobody question about it why start now?

Google letter

Important First Notice - Spammy Local Guides connect behavior

Hello,

Like all communities, the Street View Trusted board operates best in a spirit of cooperation, respect and trust. We have recently received reports of spamming on Google Maps, which is considered spammy behavior. This conduct is not welcome in our community. Please cease this behavior and we ask that you remove the website address which is under your Google account name.

Google reserves the right to remove you from the program at any time, so please take this warning as seriously as we do. After two warnings, you may be subjected to program removal.

You may want to brush up on the Local Guides Program Rules and Google’s Terms.

Thanks for your cooperation in this matter.

The Street View Trusted team

Do I have to remove the website and stop buy google domain?

Please help

8 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Can I add website on my Google account name?

Hi, @Devilgorgor

The letter is hard to not understand. Your username on Google Maps is

Tiger Lin devilgorgor.com

Following the link makes it pretty clear that you are not a private citizen contributing to Google Maps but a pro photographer. 

Weekly I stumble over businesses on Google Maps who stuff keywords, geography terms or web addresses into their names. That is against the terms for Google My Business. So I report them as spam. 

Why should it then be OK for you as a local guide to advertise your professional services by adding your url into your user name on Google Maps?

The guidelines for being a local guide are very clear. For obvious reasons you are not allowed to mix up the interests of a private citizen with your commercial work. 

So to me it clear that you are crossing some lines here. 

If you need links to the relevant rules I'm happy to provide them. 

All the best 

Level 10

Thanks for your quick reply, the problem I have NOT done single commercial works and zero profits, I have be doing photos because it is part of my hobbies, panorama photography. As usual I just turn off “trust for hire” I want nobody bother my works, I am full time federal employee and no time working for somebody else 

can I keep my account name or not? Thanks

Connect Moderator

@Devilgorgor 

as indicated on the Local Guides Program Terms and Conditions "If you offer services for hire (such as marketing yourself as a Street View trusted provider), you are not allowed to bundle such services with your Local Guide membership"

How to be a Street View trusted photographer while also being a Local Guide will help you to understand how to manage your Local Guide account. avoiding self promotional activities.

On the post you will read: "Choose a profile photo and username that represents who you are. People want to connect with other people, not a logo or business name. Accounts with photos that are obviously branded as businesses may be flagged by the community. To see how you can update your Google account, check the "Change your username" and “Change your profile photo” section in the Gmail Help Center."

I haven't seen the mentioned contributions, but I suggest you to read also the Format Specific Criteria file, as it gives tips about Stylistic adjustments

Level 10

BTW Please remove me from SV trusted team and Local guide programs as long as keep my account name and Google photos/ Google drive( I am buying and renew annually)

Connect Moderator

Hi again @Devilgorgor,

Your portfolio of pictures on Google Maps is very impressive. Great pics and amazing view counts.

Think of it this way: Any commercial photographer would pay big bucks for having google display their web address almost 500.000.000 times to potential customers next to their beautiful 16.000 images online. By having your web address in your user name you are in essence stealing this by violating the conditions for being a local guide.

So to me there is no doubt that you need to remove the url in your name or risk being kicked from the Local Guides Program. But please remember I'm just another local guide - just like your. Please tag one of the Google Moderators if you need further confirmation.

Local guides' identites are protected for good reasons by google. You also compromised this by adding your website to your user name.

If you don't have any commercial interests, then it would not be a problem to remove it, right?

All the best

Level 10

Why not just remove me from local guide programs which has not benefit to me but troubles, if this is easy way.  Just think it is free contributions from my hard works, and it was big mistake I made by clicked “local guide” and “trusted SV” at 1st place. 

Thanks for your concern and hospitality

Ps. I know now sometimes I am little too stubborn, give up one thing in return another thing, is not easy to give up, even tiny little hope 

Connect Moderator

@Devilgorgor

I hear you.

What motivates me is helping a lot of people by sharing lots of photos on Google Maps. That gives me pleasure. I know it sounds strange especially considering that we don't get payed except some abstract points. And Google makes humongous amounts of money.

Why don't you just remove the url and be proud of your very impressive total view count. I only heard of one local guide having more views than you. 

If you choose to leave the program it is something you can go your self. But don't leave us. 

Cheers 

Level 10

16,839 Photos is not actual # because the maps rejection, someone from SV told me that there is bugs they have been trying to fix, no result so far. 18,469 is actual number, 17,700 photos were accepted a week before, which means they are rejecting...Not solving...just like one https://roundme.com/tour/517271/view/1713881/

Changed the name to Devil Gorgor, it is not big deal.

I just realized there is more of my accounts, rename it because they are neither local guide or SV, so not need to focus this issue and argue about it, it is total wasting time. 

I think the one has more view count than me is Panedia, 3,861 photos, 576,415,691 view counts, 

I am fan of his works, single raw file HDR like. Nikon D800/SONY A7R, one thing I dislike is they are all not HANDHELD.