cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9
Level 9

Black Owned Businesses - Creating A List - Black Lives Matter

RJ1_0-1591320169292.png

So I've been trying to figure out what I can do to help POC (People of Color) during this difficult time. I've made a lot of social posts. I've focused on keeping my social channels quiet unless it is to amplify the voice of POC. I've written some letters to Mayors and Police Departments. 

I saw that @TraciC post something about creating a list for Orlando, FL of Black Owned Businesses. I thought, heck I can do that for Chicago, IL. I had already been searching for Black-Owned Businesses to support in Chicago. There were many random lists, but nothing as robust as a Google List, especially being able to show all of the businesses on a map. 

I have a good start with 25+ businesses. I'll be adding more daily. I plan to share this on my social channels. 

Black Owned Businesses In Chicago 

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to share a list like this? 

Chicago, IL, USA
19 comments
Level 6

Small Black Owned Businesses

I love to support everyone! If I can find a small black owned business I love to spread the word about it! ME being a small owner myself, I think we need just a little bit more support. I'm so sad when certain businesses close because they don't get they traffic that they need. 

Level 8

Re: Black Owned Businesses - Creating A List - Black Lives Matter

@RJ1  вы много делаете, отличная идея со списком!

Svitlana Churina
Level 8

Black-Owned Bookstores

A list of Black-Owned Bookstores in the USA that I saw online on Refinery29 which I turned into a public Google Maps list. Please feel free to contribute if you find links of new places online, or know any other shops in your neighborhood.

The link to the list is below:

https://goo.gl/maps/o6CmH4a3QV4jKmgR7 

Hoping to find ways to help improve the current state of our society, all of our societies around the world as local guides.  

Connect Moderator

Really love how in-depth this list is, @RJ1 ! And your descriptions are so detailed too. I've been to Chicago a few times and have only barely scratched the surface, so I definitely am following this list for my next visit. Kizin Creole Restaurant came as a major surprise to me as I am oh Haitian descent and wouldn't have imagined to find a Haitian restaurant in Chicago! As far as sharing and leveraging the list, I know a couple years back there was a post by @Andrew_C that brought awareness to an intake/survey in which Local Guides could share great lists they've created with what I believe was the potential to have these lists surfaced in Maps. Tagging @TraciC to see if this is still the case. I've ran into a few GMaps lists like these (like this one by Brit: https://www.google.com/maps/@26.5451837,-80.2666734,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m3!11m2!2smhB47LBAQz2C6MbCDLe...) that would be great to have show up as results whether using the "explore" tab or searching "black-owned businesses" in GMaps. 

@alimoore1999 just wanted to let you know I've merged your post here as it is on topic with what Ralph is discussing here. I also sympathize with you as I've unfortunately seen many favorite businesses close down due to lack of awareness. Some great ways you can help prevent that as a small business owner and as a Local Guide is informing and educating these businesses about the Google My Business platform which helps them elevate awareness about their company and engage with customers. Additionally, you could create a list of black-owned businesses as well - here is a great post that covers creating great lists. 

@Çağıl wanted to also let you know I've merged your post here as well to bring awareness to the list you've created.

Thanks to you all for taking the time and effort to bring awareness to an important topic and bringing our communities closer to black-owned businesses.

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Level 8

Awesome @SP31 thanks, I havent noticed this post exists here. Hello everyone, please feel free to add more bookstores to this list I have created. 

Googler

@RJ1 Thank you so much for creating and sharing your list! I 

Here are my lists of Black-Owned businesses so far (many are food/drink): 

@SP31 Thank you for sharing the form with me; I hadn't seen this in a while and will check with the product team on updating the form, however, you can ALWAYS share great lists with us (Google Moderators) by tagging us when you've found on, letting us know on the Connect Moderators board (for you) or even using our new nomination form. Anytime we find great lists, we let the product team know for potential featuring in Google Maps. 🙂 

Thank you all for creating these lists! 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 8

Very nicely handwritten.  The pictures are beautiful.  We try to write well all the time. So the writings are constantly getting better. Your watch is one of them. Thank you very much @RJ1  for writing a good post.

If you like it and you can see my profile. Here are my recent posts.

Level 9
Level 9

Re: Small Black Owned Businesses

@alimoore1999 I agree. I am always shocked when small businesses do not use the power of their Google Business Profile. There is so much that can be done and edited that drives attention and customers to their business. 

I hope you are using the power of your Google Business Profile. I also hope your business is doing well. Share the link. I'd love to see what you do. 

LOVE!!!

Level 9
Level 9

Re: Black-Owned Bookstores

@Çağıl Thanks for sharing this. What a great list!

I do have Semicolon Bookstore & Gallery, which is the only bookstore listed for Illinois. 

Books are super important to educate and help us learn during these unusual times.