Jesi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

♿ Accessible Restaurants: China Rose

As part of One Accessibility advocacy, we share information about disability issues, inclusion, and or accessibility features on Maps. Look out every week for this enlightening post.

Caption: A photo of a corner of a restaurant with a big accessibility sign on top of a door, with a digital text added: "Accessible Restaurants: China Rose"Caption: A photo of a corner of a restaurant with a big accessibility sign on top of a door, with a digital text added: "Accessible Restaurants: China Rose"

Hello everyone and welcome to this week’s Accessibility Uncovered post!

This is the first post of this month’s theme: Accessible Restaurants, where we will share our favorite accessible restaurants and review what makes them accessible. Keep on reading and join us this month to learn about accessible restaurants around the world!

Like you read on this post’s title, the accessible restaurant I chose is China Rose

It’s a great Chinese restaurant I went to by chance before the accessibility meet-up I did in Buenos Aires’s Chinese Town back in 2019. We were looking for a restaurant to have lunch in before the meet-up and we saw that this one had accessibility features on Maps so, naturally, we had to go and validate those.

Already before entering you see clear signs of how accessible it is, I mean actual signs which make everyone know about it without having to ask, hung proudly and raising awareness about accessibility, as well as letting people who have accessibility needs know that the place welcomes them and makes efforts to include them.

Two signs are hung in the entrance:

• “We have a braille menu” sign.
  • A printed “Certificate of adaptive excellence” from an accessible tourism agency for being correctly adapted for people with reduced mobility.

Caption: Signs in front of the door, including the two mentioned signs in the sides.Caption: Signs in front of the door, including the two mentioned signs in the sides.

This was great to see, as most accessible restaurants I went to I just realized myself they were accessible for wheelchair-bound people after seeing a ramp in the entrance and then analyzing the other areas of the restaurant.

It always makes me very happy to realize that places are accessible, but even more so when they make it obvious with signs and announce it because it’s just great to know the accessibility information easily and without even looking for it.

It’s like when we add information about the accessibility of a place on Maps, people can look at the features of the place or what we wrote in the reviews instead of spending time checking all the photos or looking for data on the places website.

As I entered the restaurant I still looked at the areas for accessibility of course, because I’m still an accessibility fan I guess hahah, and as we walked to our table I saw the accessible restroom with a very big accessibility sign. 

Caption: A corner of a restaurant with the accessible restroom that has a big accessibility sign on top. Next to it you can see tall chairs for toddlers.Caption: A corner of a restaurant with the accessible restroom that has a big accessibility sign on top. Next to it you can see tall chairs for toddlers.

I loved the sign, because of the same reasons I mentioned before, and also because how visible it was and big signs with big fonts like that one are also accessible themselves. They are very easy to read and that helps people with vision impairments, and everyone too, I think.

Now, to the areas of the restaurants that could be improved:

Although the place had a lot of tables and seemed a bit crowded, there was actually enough space between the tables for wheelchairs to go through, and the tables were high enough too.

But, despite this, there was a very small step on the entrance which meant that people who use wheelchairs could need help entering if they don't have enough arm strength.

The restaurant also doesn't offer reserved parking spots for people with disabilties, as it doesn't offer parking spots at all. It's a very busy part of the city so it's expected but might be a problem.

There is a second floor too, that I honestly didn't go to as we sat on the beautiful patio, which might only have the restrooms but I think it would also have more tables because of the size of the place. There isn't an elevator to get there though, but it doesn't seem to be so big of a problem because of how many tables are downstairs.

As a summary, here is how the China Rose restaurant does when it comes to accessibility:

Wheelchair-accessible entrance

Wheelchair-accessible lift

Wheelchair-accessible seating

Wheelchair-accessible toilet

Braille menus

Reserved parking spots for people with disabilities

And, although not included in the features of Maps, I remember the restaurant has good lighting, which helps deaf people read lips, and didn’t have music on, which helps neurodiverse people - some of whom might have developmental disabilities.

What I liked most about this restaurant was that it included braille menus too, since most places seem to just focus on being accessible for people with mobility impairments.

The food was pretty good too 😉

Caption: The dish I ordered, with veggies and meat.Caption: The dish I ordered, with veggies and meat.

Thank you for reading!

• Click here to read the review I wrote in China Rose.
  • Click here to see my list of 9 diverse accessible restaurants in my city
  • You can also follow me on Maps and check how I add accessibility info on my reviews.

I have some questions!

• What do you think about the overall accessibility of this restaurant?

• Tell me about accessibility features you saw in restaurants in the comments! Do you remember which is the restaurant with the most accessibility features you went to?
  • Do restaurants in you area also tend to focus more on mobility disabilities? How many places do you know that offer braille menus?

I’d love to read your answers to those questions in the comments! If you want to add the Maps link to the places you mention it would be even better 🙂

If you have a question, suggestion, or contribution, feel free to comment below. You can read last week's roundup article here and check the list of our other articles under "Accessibility Uncovered".

Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: ♿ Accessible Restaurants: China Rose

Muy buen dato @Jesi un restaurante muy bien adaptado a la accesibilidad 👨‍🦽.

Ahora te consulto un poco más sobre la comida, te gusto tu plato? , la carne era de cerdo 🐖  agridulce o carne de 🐄, que te pareció la ambientación. Sería muy lindo si tienes mas fotos del local con su ambientación, para tener un panorama más general del local, en una de esas me tienta y lo coloco en mi lista de sitios por visitar 😀👍

Mis debilidades cuando visitó un nuevo restaurante son los postres. La carta tenía buenos postres 🍮 de la comunidad China ?

Gracias  por compartir, me gusto leer tu post👍

Saludos Farid, desde la Tierra del Fuego 🔥 Argentina 

Connect Moderator

Hola @FaridTDF, gracias por el comentario!

La comida me acuerdo que era muy rica y nos había gustado mucho a todos! Sobre el plato que me pedí no me acuerdo exactamente que era, y me intenté fijar en las fotos del menú que había sacado y no estoy tan segura, pero parece ser el Chao Fan con cerdo ahumado que tenían por como se ve la carne.

También me acuerdo que el local era muy lindo y el patio todavía más, con una fuente y peces. Encontré un par de fotos más que había sacado del local pero creo que no le hacen justicia jajaj, pero si creo que demuestran el estilo un poco clásico que tiene:

Subtítulo: una pecera que era parte del patio del restauranteSubtítulo: una pecera que era parte del patio del restaurante

Subtítulo: Una esquina dentro del restaurante.Subtítulo: Una esquina dentro del restaurante.

Otra cosa que recuerdo es que estábamos algo apurados para llegar bien a donde teníamos que estar en el horario del meet-up, así que por eso no vimos mucho la parte de postres, pero viendo las fotos del menú se ve que tenían una mezcla de postres "comunes" acá y otros que no son tan vistos:

• Marquise de chocolate
  • Mousse duo de chocolates
  • Creme Brulee al lemon grass
  • Mousse de Maracuyá
  • Copa de Lychees
  • Tempura Ice (Crema helada frita)
  • Galleta de la Fortuna

Creo que si siguen teniendo esas cosas volvería para probar el Tempura Ice, que ahora que si tuve tiempo de leerlo me tentó probarlo jajaja y el Mousse de Maracuyá que seguro me gusta.
Te interesó alguno de esos postres? En el barrio chino de Buenos Aires hay muchos lugares buenos, pero creo que este es uno de los mejores. Avisame si vas o lo agregás a tu lista! Si no te convenció o querés ver más fotos o el menú actual, te dejo el lugar en Maps: China Rose 

Hay algún restaurante así de accesible que conozcas por tu zona, u otra parte de Argentina u el mundo, vos que viajaste tanto? O recordás haber ido a algún restaurante con certificados de accesibilidad en la puerta o haberte encontrado alguna adaptación para la accesibilidad que normalmente no se ve? Me encantaría conocer otros restaurantes así 😁 

Connect Moderator

La lista de postre es interesante, pero solo me inclino por la galleta de la suerte, me gusta la experiencia completa y temática del lugar que visito, en este caso la china @Jesi 😀 lo agregare en la lista de posible restaura este a visitar en el futuro. 

La próxima vez intentare hacer un tours por restaurantes orientales, tanto Chino, Japones y Coreano, para poder tener mas sabores de los cuales escoger y opinar cual me gusta mas. Ya realice de los sabores Italianos.

Es verdad visite varios restaurantes con carteles de accesibilidad, pero la mayoría de ellos no son completamente accesibles, ya que en la mayoría de los casos tienen mas de 20 años y sus construcciones no fueron pensadas para ser accesibles, si se modificaron algunas cosas y le pusieron hermosos carteles, pero ha la hora de que entre un discapacitado con cilla de rueda, o no pasa por la puerta del baño o la distancia entre mesas es muy pequeña, en otros casos tienen algún escalón y eso dificulta el acceso, salvo los restaurantes pensados desde su construcción. 😕

Si recorremos la mayoría de los restaurantes de la CABA, no son tan accesibles,  no tienen una adaptabilidad real, las calles la mayoría tienen baldosas que parece que estas caminando por un empedrado, salvo la zona de Puerto Maderos, pero incluso allí algunos restaurantes tienen sus baños en la parte superior y inferior¡, accediendo con escaleras estrechas a ellos. Es verdad que hoy la mayoría de los restaurantes después de la pandemia cuentan con código QR para el acceso al menu, pero ni incluso allí lamentablemente aprovechan el poder que les daría de contar con menús hablados o interactivos para mejorar la experiencia de los comensales que tienen problemas de audio o visión.

En la ciudad de Ushuaia existe un lindo restaurante con un baño adaptado para personas en cillas de ruedas al nivel piso, (En la foto, en circulo verde ,el baño)  pero la puerta de entrada y las mesas entre comensales es estrecha con lo cual no cumple realmente las normas de accesibilidad, espero que en unos años con la modificación de los nuevos edificios y nuevos restaurantes esto sea mas considerado por los arquitectos y urbanistas. 

Caption: Villagiio, un restaurante “accesible” - Ushuaia - Tierra del Fuego - Argentina (Local Guides @FaridTDF)Caption: Villagiio, un restaurante “accesible” - Ushuaia - Tierra del Fuego - Argentina (Local Guides @FaridTDF)

Saludos Farid.

Connect Moderator

It is interesting to know that certificates are given to restaurants that comply with some accessibility features. And the restaurant itself is conscious to advertise their inclusiveness. Quite impressive. 

Thanks for sharing

Connect Moderator

También siempre me gusta abrir galletas de la suerte así que te entiendo @FaridTDF jajaja, me alegra que lo hayas agregado a tu lista apra visitar!

Estuve haciendo esos tours por restaurantes orientales últimamente (hace años creo 😅), es mi tipo de comida favorita! Lo digo tan general porque todavía no me decido si me gusta más la japonesa o coreana, pero las tres que mencionaste me encantan, así que cuando vuelvas si querés podemos ir juntos o si armás un meet-up de comida en alguno me re sumaría 😁

Si, entiendo completamente lo de que restaurantes con carteles de accesibilidad muchas veces no son completamente accesibles. Es difícil y más en zonas no modernas, como cuando fuimos a San Telmo en el primer meet-up del estilo que con suerte encontramos uno o dos lugares con entradas accesibles. Después vi que pusieron rampas en algunos pero los baños bajando o subiendo las escaleras tan clásicos, no se pueden arreglar. Pero si, también pasa en otros que tienen todo señalizando accesibilidad y después te encontrás con que no hay espacio como decías.

Que raro el caso del restaurante que compartiste, con baño accesible y el resto no cuando creo que estamos más acostumbrados a lo contrario. Lo bueno de ese es que moviendo las mesas y una rampa ya podría adaptarse y lograr la accesibilidad para sillas de ruedas bastante fácil! La cuestión es que sean conscientes y que hagan el cambio.

Gracias por la respuesta con tanto detalle!