JanVanHaver's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

A flood of new categories - with focus on Asia

One of the 46 new categories is Drone shop - Image by DJI-Agras from PixabayOne of the 46 new categories is Drone shop - Image by DJI-Agras from Pixabay

As you can see in the previous posts I have published every couple of months here to announce new categories (there's an overview here) the list of new categories is typically 10 or less. But this time... there's a genuine avalanche: 46! 

There are quite a few new categories for specific restaurant types (as we've seen also on previous occasions). Some are from the financial sector (Business banking service and Cooperative bank), other are related to relative recent phenomena in society (like  Drone shopElectric vehicle charging station contractor or Shared-use commercial kitchen) but the most striking trend is that there is a specific focus on categories that are linked to Asia or specific Asian countries. Take e.g. Aadhar centerAnganwadi center or Government ration shop: as far as I can judge those will be specifically meant for or at least will come in very handy in India. Probably @TravellerG or @Tushar_Suradkar can provide further details here. 

The full list of new categories then (in alphabetical order):

Aadhar center
Açaí shop
Acaraje restaurant
Anganwadi center
Assamese restaurant
Auto rickshaw stand
Ayam penyet restaurant
Bangle Shop
Batik clothing store
Bike wash
Business banking service
Cendol restaurant
Chop bar
Cooperative bank
Cycle rickshaw stand
Drone shop
Electric vehicle charging station contractor
Government ration shop
Haleem restaurant
Indian sweets shop
Kalle pache restaurant
Koshari restaurant
Lechon restaurant
Lock Store
Momo restaurant
Musalla
Nasi restaurant
Odia restaurant
Paan shop
Paisa restaurant
Panipuri shop
Pay by weight restaurant
Poke bar
Saree Shop
Seblak restaurant
Shared-use commercial kitchen
Shawarma restaurant
Soto restaurant
Tacaca restaurant
Tegal restaurant
Temaki restaurant
Tiffin center
Tire repair shop
Tortilla shop
Vinyl sign shop
Yakisoba Restaurant
Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Gent, België
71 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: A flood of new categories - with focus on Asia

Thanks, @JanVanHaver.

About 8 of them will come in handy in Denmark as well. I hope the translations will be done quickly.

I already edited our one and only drone shop and 18 cooperative banks. Thanks. 

Cheers 

Morten 

Connect Moderator

1. Ooo I have a bunch of banks to edit.
Connect Moderator

That's big news @JanVanHaver 

If the average is 10 for a new batch of categories added each time, this is definitely a riot of new ones.

The following are clearly meant for India:

Aadhar center - Aadhar Card is the same as a Social Security Number or SSN in the US.
Anganwadi center - These are state-funded community schools + health centers.  local guide @KalyanPal had asked for the ICDS category.
Assamese restaurant - Food from the state of Assam.
Auto rickshaw stand - These are 3-seater passenger vehicles and have designated pick up spots on literally every street of every small and big town of India.
Bangle Shop - The metal or glass ring that women wear on their wrists in India. Just like the engagement ring in the west, wearing bangles are an integral part of the marriage ceremony. 
Bike wash - These are similar to a car wash center but exclusively for 2-wheelers in India.
Cooperative bank - This special category of banks is neither operated by the government nor by the private sector.
Cycle rickshaw stand - These are 3-seater passenger vehicles like a rickshaw but are foot-peddled vehicles.
Government ration shop - These are state-run shops that sell grain, sugar, and kerosene at subsidized rates. 
Indian sweets shop - This needs further sub-categories like Bengali Sweets since this is a huge industry in India.
Momo restaurant - These are steamed dumplings enjoyed all over India but are sold exclusively by residents from the north-eastern hilly region.
Paan shop - These are beetle nut shops and every single street in India would have 2- of these. See a wonderful article about Paan here.
Paisa restaurant - Not sure what this is but the Indian Rupee is made of 100 Paisa
Panipuri shop - Pani puri is the national snack of India but 98/100 these shops are moving carts that change place daily - so not sure one would be able to use this effectively.
Saree Shop - This is the national attire of India.
Tiffin center - These are takeaway food counters where the consumers subscribe on a monthly basis and do not pay for every order.
Tire repair shop - These are found on every street in India and unlike the US where there are also similar tire-change shops, these shops in India strictly cater to repairing the tire and won't even repair the rim or the wheel

But what is this category?
I hate restaurants 😄
Connect Moderator

That was super-quick @MortenCopenhagen 

It is well known that 'cooperative' is huge in Scandinavian countries.

In India too the Cooperative movement is big and unfortunately concentrated in the western states like Maharashtra and Gujarat.

The region around Pune where both I and @C_T  live is well known for its hundreds of cooperative sugar mills.

Also, you would be surprised to know that India's largest milk producer is not a private company but a cooperative called Amul and is located in neighboring Gujarat.

Level 10

नमस्कार..

@Tushar_Suradkar 

@JanVanHaver 

It's really useful as Tushar Dada explained.. 

Thanks..

Connect Moderator

@Tushar_Suradkar

Thanks for sharing the details. You might also be surprised: while in University I helped my old professor prepare his last report on Operation Flood about how the Danish Cooperative movement helped Indian farmers organize and build the dairy industry. Also, I studied the food system of some small villages just south of Mysore behind Chamundi Hill. But it is many years back.

Cheers

Morten 

Connect Moderator

Indeed @MortenCopenhagen it might still take a while before they all get translated, but the experience of the last year or so is that sooner or later more or less all newly added ones also get translated. A few in that list of 46 were available already end 2020 (like, indeed, Cooperative bank), and have been translated already, but most seem to be very recent additions, so we'll have to be a bit patient there. (Last time I checked was a couple of weeks ago and at that point there were only 3 or 4 new ones compared to Octover 2020)

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Connect Moderator

Thank you ever so much @Tushar_Suradkar for adding those details - with such a big list I had not had the time yet to check what exactly each of them meant, so I kinda hoped someone from the Indian community would jump in an provide the local knowledge 🙏

Connect Moderator

@Tushar_Suradkar also for 'Government ration shop' there was an Indian local guide asking for this on Connect a while ago - unfortunately I can't find his post back (it might have been merged into the huge 'Reconsider new criteria' post - but that now has 47 pages of comments to go through)