kmajewski's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

7 night markets worth staying up late for

Sure, you could go to a regular day market and shop for fruits and vegetables, maybe get a snack. It would probably be fun and you’d be home at a reasonable hour. Though, what you would be missing out on is the rows upon rows of stalls selling many different kinds of food, live entertainment under twinkling lights, and cold beverages to enjoy as the sun goes down that happen at night markets.

Come on over to the dark side and get your appetite ready for these seven night markets that are recommended by your fellow Local Guides.

1. Shilin Night Market (Taipei City, Taiwan)

Caption: A photo of a man in an apron and a mask holding a pair of cooking tongs in front of a stall where food is cooking as a crowd lines up at Shilin Night Market in Taipei City, Taiwan. (Local Guide Natchapat Podee)Caption: A photo of a man in an apron and a mask holding a pair of cooking tongs in front of a stall where food is cooking as a crowd lines up at Shilin Night Market in Taipei City, Taiwan. (Local Guide Natchapat Podee)This popular night market is one of the largest in the city with over 500 stalls dedicated to food.

Local Guides say:

“One of the best and the most famous night market in Taipei. You have to visit this place if you are in Taipei. Don't worry about searching which food to eat. If you see a queue it means that the food is good. Just queue with them and enjoy the night” - Local Guide Reynaldi Hadianto

2. Ratchada Rot Fai Night Market (Bangkok, Thailand)

Caption: A photo of several containers of food and a tray with cooked fish and shrimp next to a drink with five straws served in a small carved-out watermelon. The food and drink are placed on a blue picnic table at Ratchada Rot Fai Night Market in Bangkok. (Anna Camille Ramirez)Caption: A photo of several containers of food and a tray with cooked fish and shrimp next to a drink with five straws served in a small carved-out watermelon. The food and drink are placed on a blue picnic table at Ratchada Rot Fai Night Market in Bangkok. (Anna Camille Ramirez)A vibrant, outdoor night market, Ratchada Rot Fai offers rows and rows of antiques to browse in addition to street food and street-side bars.

Local Guides say:

“An absolute must-see. This market became my favorite spot in Bangkok. It is so alive, vibrant, and full of energy. It’s not just about shopping, there are three rows of amazing food to choose from, with friendly staff that are a delight to see. The shops are many and great, with a lot of Thai designers selling their products at very cheap prices. And at the end, there are the bars, that make the whole scene even more lively.” - Local Guide LUCAS SEGOVIA

3. Mt Gravatt Marketta (Mount Gravatt, Australia)

Caption: A photo of a cheeseburger and French fries in a cardboard container held up in front of the many picnic tables and string lights at Mt Gravatt Marketta in Mount Gravatt, Australia. (Local Guide Sos Mattsson)Caption: A photo of a cheeseburger and French fries in a cardboard container held up in front of the many picnic tables and string lights at Mt Gravatt Marketta in Mount Gravatt, Australia. (Local Guide Sos Mattsson)

Chock full of food, fashion, art, music, and more, this South Brisbane spot is made for strolling the shops and then kicking back with a beer, good eats, and live music.

Local Guides say:

“Awesome place to get a variety of foods, bring the family, bring your friends and bring your appetite, share different foods from each stall and enjoy immensely all the different flavours available. Stall holders don’t mind cutting the food into shareable sizes, so take the opportunity to try everything…” - Local Guide Lyn Bennetts

4. Jonker Street Night Market (Malacca, Malaysia)

Caption: A photo of five bright green dishes and one orange dish filled with food, condiments, and utensils on a brown table at Jonker Street Market in Malacca, Malaysia. (Local Guide Eddie Stewart)Caption: A photo of five bright green dishes and one orange dish filled with food, condiments, and utensils on a brown table at Jonker Street Market in Malacca, Malaysia. (Local Guide Eddie Stewart)

This bustling, open-air market only happens on the weekends, but the food, wares, and entertainment are worth the wait.

Local Guides say:

“Soooo much yummy food! We tried a bit of many things, but unfortunately still got too full too quickly 😉 luckily it's open tomorrow as well, definitely going back! A must in the city!” - Local Guide Darja Gogunova

5. Ratri Bazaar (Gujarat, India)

Caption: A photo of a local dish of rice with cheese and other toppings on a dish surrounded by spoons on a table at Ratri Bazaar. (Local Guide Jignesh Mahale)Caption: A photo of a local dish of rice with cheese and other toppings on a dish surrounded by spoons on a table at Ratri Bazaar. (Local Guide Jignesh Mahale)

A vegetarian haven, Ratri Bazaar features a couple dozen shops, but it’s the food that’s the big draw and much of it is served until 1 a.m.

Local Guides say:

“One of the best places of Baroda. This place where you can have all type of veg. food. When I have emergency day, i get time late for dinner, so i visit this place at that time. One can get here from snacks to meal, tea to cold drinks. It stays open till late night. Free Parking facility is available. Visit it with friends, family, etc.” - Local Guide Dr.Dixit Prajapati

6. Chợ đêm Đà Lạt (Da Lat, Vietnam)

Caption: A photo of skewers of meat, seafood, and vegetables at a stand at Chợ đêm Đà Lạt in Da Lat, Vietnam. (Local Guide Yingchen Liu)Caption: A photo of skewers of meat, seafood, and vegetables at a stand at Chợ đêm Đà Lạt in Da Lat, Vietnam. (Local Guide Yingchen Liu)

Offering a maze of food stalls, you’ll want to come here hungry. The market also features performers and includes shops selling textiles, souvenirs, and produce.

Local Guides say:

“We love this spot so much. We often tried grilled crepes, hot soya milk and listen to live music.” - Local Guide Kim Anh Ngô

7. Night Market (Luang Prabang, Laos)

Caption: A photo of a street food stall at Night Market in Luang Prabang, Laos with platers of rice, noodles, fruit, vegetables, and more in addition to meat on skewers. (Local Guide Mam Sutheera)Caption: A photo of a street food stall at Night Market in Luang Prabang, Laos with platers of rice, noodles, fruit, vegetables, and more in addition to meat on skewers. (Local Guide Mam Sutheera)

This market serves up a mix of local goods and crafts along with a large section of food vendors.

Local Guides say:

“Full of vibrant colours! Mostly traditional items sold, reasonably priced. You can haggle but do be mindful not to lower down too much as what you buy can be the only income they receive for the day. Very calm & relaxing market, nobody forcing you to purchase anything unlike other markets in South East Asia. If you are street food fan, this is the place to be. Look for the small alley near indigo cafe, rows of stalls selling food & cheap. Try the Laotian sausage, it's good.” - Local Guide Joy Ballang

Do you have a favorite night market? Let us know in the comments below!

14 comments
Level 2

Re: 7 night markets worth staying up late for

it's amazing !!! 

thu mua phế liệu giá cao

Level 9

Hello @kmajewski

Thank you for sharing your collection of late night markets; I think it will helps a lot for food lovers and night birds.

Level 8

when all of this food come in one place / spot. Perhaps, i will try all of them, but take it slow... heuhehe

Level 8

I like markets, but usually I go there during the day. But I also have a photo of the night market. It is Ao Nang, Thailand.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @kmajewski

Thank for sharing nice post and amazing market for shop late 

Level 9

Hi @kmajewski this post around the world from local guides is really very informative and very helpful.  

These 7 food markets open until very late are really amazing and carrying very delicious food and items. 

Thank you for sharing this helpful post with us.

Level 9

Delicious post for foodie lovers ,i liked it @kmajewski Thank you for sharing with...

Level 9

Wow! it's looking delicious @kmajewski I am hungry now 🙂

Many many thanks for sharing with us.

Love to Hear ; Love to Share !
Kamal Hasnainee
Bangladesh
Level 10

Hi @kmajewski,

Thanks for sharing all these night markets. It reminds me good souvenirs as I always love eating in such places.

I have been to the Ratchada market last year when we were in Bangkok!

See you around

Jul