MortenCopenhagen's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

4 Simple Steps to Writing Excellent Maps Reviews

4 REVIEW STEPS.jpg

Many Local Guides have issues with their reviews. I hope you find the following tips useful when writing Google Maps reviews.

First, write your review as usual.

Then consider the following four questions before posting the review:

1. Did you provide details about your visit and the service you received?
  2. Did you mention what you liked/disliked, and why?
  3. Did you make certain that any criticism was constructive?
  4. Did you write more than 2-3 words and only one paragraph?

Then keep rewriting the text until you can answer Yes to all four questions.

These tips are based on the recently revised guidelines for Google Maps reviews

Cheers

Morten

Copenhagen, Denmark
16 comments
Level 10

Re: 4 Simple Steps to Writing Excellent Maps Reviews

Hi, my dear friend @MortenCopenhagen,

Excellent...

I fully agree with all four points.

But one doubt: The second point is expressed through the 'Star Rating', right?

Considering the many reviews we see here, I would like to add:

5. Write in understandable English which also will help the reader who searches for this destination. 

Thanks for your efforts.

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Connect Moderator

@TravellerG

Please note the last bit: "and why".

Based on your input I decided to change bullet 2 from this:

Did you mention how much you like/dislike it, and why?

to this:

Did you mention what you liked/disliked, and why?

Google translate allows all users writing reviews in the language of their choice. And thay will he translated to the language selected in the app by the user. So I don't think English is better or needed. Maybe the situation is different in India.

Cheers

Morten 

Connect Moderator

I can respond yes, @MortenCopenhagen 😁

Based on my traveling experiences, @TravellerG , I can say that when I travel abroad Maps considers "most relevant" reviews written from the people from my country (if available). E.g. the first review that I see by checking a restaurant when I am in USA are the ones written by Italians. So probably we should always privilege our own country language. When I discovered this, I stopped to write reviews in English, even when I am abroad, using my own language instead

Connect Moderator

Thanks, @ErmesT 

I have the same experience. It is a bit strange to see reviews written by fellow Danes at the top of listings when traveling. But it makes sense. 

Cheers

Morten

Connect Moderator

I believe it make sense, @MortenCopenhagen 

When traveling, people from your county my have a similar feeling about a place, or a restaurant, because they are used to the same food, and so on. Sa a review written by someone with something in common with you can indeed be more relevant for you

Level 8

A very informative post @MortenCopenhagen 

Yes I have considered all the four while writing my reviews. I also got replies from the owners that they will improve. I feel honor when I get replies. 

Screenshot_20230315_230208_Samsung Internet.jpg

The above picture is a screenshot of reply received  in Swedish.

As mentioned by @ErmesT we can search language wise and easy to follow. It is not possible for my country as India is a land of many languages and hence my reviews are always in English. 

Passionate about
#Temple Art & Architecture
#Nature lover
#Save the Trees
#Typewriter Artist

. Happy Guiding.

Level 10

Okay, noted dear friend @MortenCopenhagen Ji,

Hm... Let me analyse... 

Thanks 

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 10

Thanks for sharing this information, my dear friend @ErmesT Ji,

"... So probably we should always privilege our own country language..."

Unfortunately, when I write my reviews in Malayalam (my mother language), even in Incognito mode, it appears in Malayalam, even if I select English as Google Language...

Is there any suggestion, dear friend @MortenCopenhagen?

Thanks for your kind supports 

Connect Moderator

@TravellerG

The translate help forum is here

https://support.google.com/translate/community?hl=en-GB

You can enquire about the availability of your language and suggest it added if not already available.

Cheers 

Morten